The Stax Thread III
Feb 10, 2019 at 9:58 PM Post #17,116 of 25,558
Hello guys, I am new to Stax headphones. I just picked up the ifi iESL pro to complete my ifi pro stack and got a pair of Stax SR-L700s which I am finding to be absolutely fantastic. I honestly did not have high expectations for them, but upon first listen I knew that expectation was completely stupid and that I now understand why electros are held in such high esteem.

I have been looking for an answer to a couple questions that maybe you all could help me answer. 1. Do any of you or anyone you know prefer the L700 to the 009? 2. Is it true that the 009 is more detailed then the 009S and if so what makes it worth going to the 009S over the 009? I want the most detailed set up I can find. I thought I had found it in the Utopia and while I still find that headphone fantastic the unbelievable clarity and lack of any distortion whatsoever on the SR-L700s is just incredible and makes me wonder if the 009 or 009S will provide that.

Any help here is much appreciated thanks guys.

Feb 10, 2019 at 10:50 PM Post #17,117 of 25,558
Hello guys, I am new to Stax headphones. I just picked up the ifi iESL pro to complete my ifi pro stack and got a pair of Stax SR-L700s which I am finding to be absolutely fantastic. I honestly did not have high expectations for them, but upon first listen I knew that expectation was completely stupid and that I now understand why electros are held in such high esteem.

I have been looking for an answer to a couple questions that maybe you all could help me answer. 1. Do any of you or anyone you know prefer the L700 to the 009? 2. Is it true that the 009 is more detailed then the 009S and if so what makes it worth going to the 009S over the 009? I want the most detailed set up I can find. I thought I had found it in the Utopia and while I still find that headphone fantastic the unbelievable clarity and lack of any distortion whatsoever on the SR-L700s is just incredible and makes me wonder if the 009 or 009S will provide that.

Any help here is much appreciated thanks guys.

If you're listening preference is details, than yes. The 009 are more detailed than the 009S.
If you prefer a warmer presentation, than either the L700 or 009S would suit your listening taster better. Between the L700 and the 009S, if money was no issue I would pick the 009S.

Feb 10, 2019 at 11:51 PM Post #17,118 of 25,558
Well that settles that. I definitely want as much detail as I can possibly get. Dont get me wrong I want the headphones to sound good to but from everything I have read that wont be an issue. I will just have to keep my L700 and LCD-4s for when I want the smoother more laid back sounds.

I appreciate the response. I really cant believe how good electrostatics have proven to be where I find a $1475 pair of L700's to sound superior to two different $4000 headphones in the Utopias and LCD-4s. Just blew my mind.

Feb 11, 2019 at 3:29 AM Post #17,119 of 25,558
Well that settles that. I definitely want as much detail as I can possibly get. Dont get me wrong I want the headphones to sound good to but from everything I have read that wont be an issue. I will just have to keep my L700 and LCD-4s for when I want the smoother more laid back sounds.

I appreciate the response. I really cant believe how good electrostatics have proven to be where I find a $1475 pair of L700's to sound superior to two different $4000 headphones in the Utopias and LCD-4s. Just blew my mind.

And u are driving it just out of IFI IESL. Wait until KG top tier amps, like a GG or BHSE or T2

Feb 11, 2019 at 8:11 AM Post #17,120 of 25,558
Is there really that much of a noticeable difference with those amps? What changes in the sound when you go with one of those? I have noticed subtle changes in amps for dynamics and planars and much prefer the sound of a good solid state which is why I so far like the ifi the best. But there are definitely tiers that I just dont have the funds to go to yet, and tell myself they must only be marginally better just to prevent me from taking out a second mortgage on my house to go after them. I have heard nothing but good things about the bhse though.

Feb 11, 2019 at 8:13 AM Post #17,121 of 25,558
Is there really that much of a noticeable difference with those amps? What changes in the sound when you go with one of those? I have noticed subtle changes in amps for dynamics and planars and much prefer the sound of a good solid state which is why I so far like the ifi the best. But there are definitely tiers that I just dont have the funds to go to yet, and tell myself they must only be marginally better just to prevent me from taking out a second mortgage on my house to go after them. I have heard nothing but good things about the bhse though.

Dynamic amp is different as Dynamic headphones already have a driving mechanism build in, and that is the magnetic core. Stax system is different, the driving mechanism is from the bias and the way the diagrams are charged up, which are all depending on the energizer. In fact, I think energizer is what these are called, or driver unit. That is why calling them an amplifier is causing too much confusing

For all that said, the Driver unit, is the heart, the core, and the soul of your ES-Speakers :wink:. How big of a different is for you to personally judge. The general consensus is that it could be as much as day and night Going from Stax driver unit into KG-T2

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2019 at 8:28 AM Post #17,122 of 25,558
Well damn there goes more of my money and here comes a more angry wife haha.

I think I will probably just stick with the iesl for a while and get used to the sound of stats and down the road upgrade the amp. But how signigicant would you say the jump is from the L700 to the 009? Is it going to be a lot more detail or slightly more? I have heard some say they prefer the sound of the L700 to the 009 but maybe detail is not as important to them. What do you think?

Feb 11, 2019 at 8:36 AM Post #17,123 of 25,558

I think I will probably just stick with the iesl for a while and get used to the sound of stats and down the road upgrade the amp. But how signigicant would you say the jump is from the L700 to the 009? Is it going to be a lot more detail or slightly more? I have heard some say they prefer the sound of the L700 to the 009 but maybe detail is not as important to them. What do you think?

I have not heard L700, but 009 is a details Angel :), in a sense that she is very detailed, and will sing to you with such angelic voices....unless you are driving her with a bad driving unit then she became a monster and spitting sibilants into your eardrums

Feb 11, 2019 at 8:49 AM Post #17,124 of 25,558

My wife has zero knowledge on audio gear and even she manage to pick out the 009 vs 009S 10/10 time blind folded.
The detail difference of the L700 is much bigger margin than comparing the 009 vs 009S. I suggest you attend canjam like event or visit a audio shop that stocked them and you'll know what I mean.

Feb 11, 2019 at 9:20 AM Post #17,125 of 25,558
From what I've read there's not much difference between the SR007 and the SR009 besides the warmness of the sound. You might get more value going with a SR007A with the BluTack mod which I've read sounds closer to the SR009. It also sounds much better than stock. It's also cheaper and can be driven well by the SRM-D50. The whole setup costs half as much as my LCD-4 one and it beats it in everything except sub bass.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2019 at 9:37 AM Post #17,126 of 25,558
From what I've read there's not much difference between the SR007 and the SR009 besides the warmness of the sound. You might get more value going with a SR007A with the BluTack mod which I've read sounds closer to the SR009. It also sounds much better than stock. It's also cheaper and can be driven well by the SRM-D50. The whole setup costs half as much as my LCD-4 one and it beats it in everything except sub bass.
I recently went though a similar evaluation, auditioning both the 007MK2 and 009S with my BHSE. (I did not have a chance to audition the 009.) Both are wonderful and have their merits. I ultimately chose the 007MK2 and I look forward to trying the BlueTack mod, once I get up the courage. :)

Feb 11, 2019 at 10:10 AM Post #17,127 of 25,558
Just go for it. From a technical stand point the mod is super easy. The only part that his annoying is getting the pads back on, but that is just finicky not complex or delicate.

Feb 11, 2019 at 10:18 AM Post #17,128 of 25,558
It's reversible too. I recommend something thin and plastic to jam some of the pad back in to get it started, about 2 cm around the rim.

Feb 11, 2019 at 2:58 PM Post #17,129 of 25,558
Just go for it. From a technical stand point the mod is super easy. The only part that his annoying is getting the pads back on, but that is just finicky not complex or delicate.

It's reversible too. I recommend something thin and plastic to jam some of the pad back in to get it started, about 2 cm around the rim.

Ok, screwdriver out, Blu Tack in hand. Fortune favors the bold. Here we go....

Well, son of a gun, the port mod helped. It just brought everything into focus. Not sure how, but I won't look a gift horse in the mouth. Thanks for the recommendation and encouragement.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2019 at 5:32 PM Post #17,130 of 25,558

I'm not sure where you read that from I'm got 2 SR-007 Mk1, One black and brown onw (earlier released 1998 Carbon box) They both sound slightly different let alone comparing it to the 009.
Also the 009 sound slightly different to the 009BK I have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back