The Stax Thread III
Feb 7, 2019 at 4:11 PM Post #17,086 of 25,472
Ok, based on the previous few parts, is a perfect time to bring up an oldie but goodie

Difference between a Spritzer Carbon and CC version?
When I purchased mine I took Birgir's advice and went with a regular Carbon.
The problem is that I am so happy with it I keep on wondering if the CC version will bring more.
Headphones are the 009S

Feb 7, 2019 at 4:16 PM Post #17,087 of 25,472
CC has:

Full size chassis
upgrade powersupply
RK50
silver signal wire
fully shielded transformer

There might be some other things too, if i am not mistaken this is an ongoing project so everything is subject to change and new more refined versions continue to be developed.

Feb 7, 2019 at 4:29 PM Post #17,088 of 25,472
329619AA-4FE6-44E7-8F32-D3253F32FB3B.jpeg
Is this fixable? The volume control seems stuck, won’t move at all.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2019 at 5:05 PM Post #17,089 of 25,472
Ok, based on the previous few parts, is a perfect time to bring up an oldie but goodie

Difference between a Spritzer Carbon and CC version?
When I purchased mine I took Birgir's advice and went with a regular Carbon.
The problem is that I am so happy with it I keep on wondering if the CC version will bring more.
Headphones are the 009S
I was in the same boat when recently considering the Carbon v Carbon CC. Birgir described them to me as follows: "The CC will be a bit more refined, more space around the notes etc. but the difference isn’t huge." Ultimately, I chose the CC on the chance that it might sound better, but also to appease any wondering of "what if."

Feb 7, 2019 at 5:08 PM Post #17,090 of 25,472
Yes he also said to me the difference was not huge. It was more along the line of "people want an ALPS pot, people want silver writing etc." so I am making it for them. He said he didn't feel the increased cost was worth it.

That does not necessarily mean it doesn't sound better - simply not worth the extra cost

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2019 at 10:05 AM Post #17,094 of 25,472
I am a long-time lurker and wanted to thank everyone for the invaluable info and input on this thread.

The estat bug has bit and I have moved from dynamics to Stax. Presently, I am experimenting with a BHSE and Carbon CC (Spritzer) along with the 007MK2 (current, non-modded) and 009S (using a Chord Qutest and Nordost Heimdall II cables and power cords). Every combination has its benefits and it will hard to go wrong. I'll have some difficult decisions to make, but certainly a good problem to have.

Today, the FedEx man is delivering some highly-touted NOS tubes, so that should add another twist.

I welcome any thoughts or feedback.

Thanks, again, for all the great support.

Cory
Welcome, Cory. I'm also largely a long-time lurker here and recently made the commitment to the BHSE and two pairs of 009S "ear speakers" (one for me, one for my wife and listening partner). We couldn't be happier with this combination given our listening priorities and the kinds of music we listen to - mostly acoustic and classical.

Now that we have over 1,000 hours on the headphones and amplifier, we're ready to consider some further refinements with interconnect cables, AC conditioning and tubes. I'll be interested in your assessment of the new tubes you've received and what differences in sound you hear with them.

Feb 9, 2019 at 3:01 PM Post #17,098 of 25,472
SRM-007tA stax amp can drive SR-009S headphone? Anybody has experience?

Can drive and can drive *properly are 2 distinctively different situations :). The more appropriate question would be “how deep is your pocket ?”

One thing for sure is that we don’t have a crowded BS-marketing on our Electro-stat technology yet, so regardless of what you will be spending, you will have a huge price/performance ratio gain.

Beware though, we have some Chi-Fi that may pull the “it is expensive because it sound good” soon

Feb 9, 2019 at 3:07 PM Post #17,099 of 25,472
Can it drive SR-009S properly? SRM-T8000 is too much for me.

Can drive and can drive *properly are 2 distinctively different situations :). The more appropriate question would be “how deep is your pocket ?”

One thing for sure is that we don’t have a crowded BS-marketing on our Electro-stat technology yet, so regardless of what you will be spending, you will have a huge price/performance ratio gain.

Beware though, we have some Chi-Fi that may pull the “it is expensive because it sound good” soon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back