The Stax Thread III
Aug 20, 2018 at 12:24 AM Post #16,006 of 25,505
I would buy from Spritzer just on principle since he's a great resource to the Stax community and the headphone-lovers community in general.
And he's a great guy to deal with, always helpful and generous with his time and advice.

Aug 20, 2018 at 3:31 AM Post #16,007 of 25,505
I would buy from Spritzer just on principle since he's a great resource to the Stax community and the headphone-lovers community in general.
And he's a great guy to deal with, always helpful and generous with his time and advice.

That's what I did.
I can't agree more with everything you said.
One additional accolade - customer service and communication bar none

Aug 20, 2018 at 5:13 AM Post #16,008 of 25,505

That's what I did.
I can't agree more with everything you said.
One additional accolade - customer service and communication bar none

All right. Thank you both for your comments.
Do you have any personal experience with other builders as well?

Aug 20, 2018 at 5:18 AM Post #16,009 of 25,505
All right. Thank you both for your comments.
Do you have any personal experience with other builders as well?

I have bought some cheaper amps/components from Spritzer. Perfect service and communication as mentioned.

And I bought a KGSShv from Geoff (headinclouds), built by himself. Great guy, top notch build. I'll soon put it up for sale. PM me in case you want more details about this amp. I'm in London, by the way.

Aug 20, 2018 at 5:46 AM Post #16,010 of 25,505
I have bought some cheaper amps/components from Spritzer. Perfect service and communication as mentioned.

And I bought a KGSShv from Geoff (headinclouds), built by himself. Great guy, top notch build. I'll soon put it up for sale. PM me in case you want more details about this amp. I'm in London, by the way.
All right. Thanks for your comment. I assume both provide top notch service and communication then.
I am looking for a Ground Grid or maybe a Carbon, but thanks anyway.

Aug 20, 2018 at 9:39 AM Post #16,013 of 25,505
All right. Thanks for your comment. I assume both provide top notch service and communication then.
I am looking for a Ground Grid or maybe a Carbon, but thanks anyway.

I would PM Geoff. He is selling a few of his amps right now as having a clear the decks period. His builds are superb, the chassis design and build is top notch as well.

Here is the Carbon he built for me:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/kgsshv-carbon-electrostatic-amplifier.870776/
IMG_3858.JPG

Aug 20, 2018 at 9:52 AM Post #16,014 of 25,505
Woow. My only nitpicks are: I don't like the numbers around the volume knob; the label "POWER" (power symbol would be better) above the obvious power switch; and the label "ELECTROSTATIC HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER." They're unnecessary. The name of the amp shouldn't be located underneath the knob, as it gets visually blocked out by it. Other than that, that is one beautiful enclosure. It looks simple, humble, and not flashy or pretentious like how so many high-end amps look, yet still somehow very sophisticated. I love it!

Aug 20, 2018 at 10:01 AM Post #16,015 of 25,505
Also worth noting that Geoff and maybe one or two other builders don't use an off the shelf $80 chassis that can be found on eBay. Custom chassis adds a lot to the cost. Pretty much everyone one else uses low quality and cheap enclosures - but they do get the job done, and not everyone has the access to a machine shop willing to do small custom runs.

Aug 20, 2018 at 10:18 AM Post #16,018 of 25,505
This angle is better, the lettering is not blocked by the volume pot, it is the camera angle.
IMG_3856.JPG
IMG_3521.JPG

Aug 20, 2018 at 10:36 AM Post #16,020 of 25,505
There's a small part of the PS board that isn't populated, namely 4 capacitors and what looks like 2 small regulators and a 3-pin power connector. I wonder what could be the reason?

This Carbon uses the 15v LV board which is a better version to using the parts count in that position on the PS board. Best to ask others the more technical aspects. Geoff also used big caps on the PS as you can see. There are various Carbon versions around, some with simpler PS boards or smaller PS layout. I can't say how those sound as not heard them. So not all Carbons are exactly the same.

Geoff uses then very good Torroidy transformer as well as the 48 step potentiometer, silver hook up etc. PM Geoff if you want more info.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back