The Stax Thread III
Apr 4, 2018 at 3:02 PM Post #14,851 of 25,541
That's wonderful! They don't produce it anymore, I guess Stax doesn't have it in "stox" :o2smile:

Yea it is a shame ! Stax Quattro Series II is one of the greatest CD-Players ever to be made! From the golden era of the late 1980s. The custom made Dac that the Quattro II has is Sweet and musical. Very beautful and lush. Its soo musical and euphoric feeling

A quick refresher,

From STAX catalog,

The STAX CD player is designed to achieve the following objectives:
1. Powerful and deep bass, smooth and transparent highs;
2. Accurate response and wide dynamic range without smudging;
3. Reproduction of the exact resolution of the music
4. "Live" atmosphere with deeper and broader sound stage.

To achieve these goals, were a number of constructive measures. Thus, as in the first "Quattro" STAX by the function of the drive from those of Digital-analog converter getrepnt. A 18-bit 8-times oversampling system is used digital filter with high precision. High-quality components such as resistors made of tantalum can be used.

Different outputs for low-impedance cables or long cables are available. The technical data speak for themselves. In an analog low-pass filter was omitted. The outputs are placed without any capacity directly to the RCA jacks. Multiple power supplies provide the circuits independently.

Specifications: CDP QUATTRO II
Frequency range 0-20 kHz + / - 0.1 dB
KHz de-emphasis deviation 0-16 + / - 0.05 dB
Fixed + 2.2 V outputs Direct, 560 ohms
Buffered Fixed + 2.2 V, 100 Ohms
Variable + Buffered 0-2.2 V, 100 Ohms
Distortion (all outputs)
0.0015% at 0 - 8 kHz / 0 dB
0.002% at 10-20 kHz / 0 dB
0.015% at -20 dB
1.4% at -60 dB
Dynamic range 104 dB
Signal to Noise Ratio 118 dB
Less than 1 mV DC offset

20171104_212148.jpg

My personal opinion, this is pretty much one of the best of the best next to my PD-91.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2018 at 3:08 PM Post #14,852 of 25,541
Yea it is a shame ! Stax Quattro Series II is one of the greatest CD-Players ever to be made! From the golden era of the late 1980s. The custom made Dac that the Quattro II has is Sweet and musical. Very beautful and lush. Its soo musical and euphoric feeling

A quick refresher,

From STAX catalog,

The STAX CD player is designed to achieve the following objectives:
1. Powerful and deep bass, smooth and transparent highs;
2. Accurate response and wide dynamic range without smudging;
3. Reproduction of the exact resolution of the music
4. "Live" atmosphere with deeper and broader sound stage.

To achieve these goals, were a number of constructive measures. Thus, as in the first "Quattro" STAX by the function of the drive from those of Digital-analog converter getrepnt. A 18-bit 8-times oversampling system is used digital filter with high precision. High-quality components such as resistors made of tantalum can be used.

Different outputs for low-impedance cables or long cables are available. The technical data speak for themselves. In an analog low-pass filter was omitted. The outputs are placed without any capacity directly to the RCA jacks. Multiple power supplies provide the circuits independently.

Specifications: CDP QUATTRO II
Frequency range 0-20 kHz + / - 0.1 dB
KHz de-emphasis deviation 0-16 + / - 0.05 dB
Fixed + 2.2 V outputs Direct, 560 ohms
Buffered Fixed + 2.2 V, 100 Ohms
Variable + Buffered 0-2.2 V, 100 Ohms
Distortion (all outputs)
0.0015% at 0 - 8 kHz / 0 dB
0.002% at 10-20 kHz / 0 dB
0.015% at -20 dB
1.4% at -60 dB
Dynamic range 104 dB
Signal to Noise Ratio 118 dB
Less than 1 mV DC offset

My personal opinion, this is pretty much one of the best of the best next to my PD-91.

Oh, I was expecting a reaction for my try for the lamest pun in Head-fi's history (stock+stax= "stox")
But that's great to know, it certainly looks wonderful :)

Apr 4, 2018 at 4:16 PM Post #14,853 of 25,541
Yea it is a shame ! Stax Quattro Series II is one of the greatest CD-Players ever to be made! From the golden era of the late 1980s. The custom made Dac that the Quattro II has is Sweet and musical. Very beautiful and lush. Its soo musical and euphoric feeling.

I agree. It's funny others discovered it too, I thought it was totally obscure. But now that we are at it, IMHO it is a unique gem and holds value incredibly well. Actually there are quite a lot of CD players with the same optical pickup, DSP and parallel input DAC, but AFAIK only the Stax Quattro used double DAC configuration. I can attest it is one of the best CD sources I have heard (and have heard the most), even better than the best TDA1541-based players. The clarity, openness, resolution, dynamic rendering, ease of flow and musicality are addicting. It is rarely on sale, but the same thing can also be assembled from certain old CD players (needs two boards though), and with a modern power supply and analog stage it is easily top reference quality for relatively little money. This is the reference I am trying to get close to with digital players/streamers/servers (an ever ongoing project).

Apr 4, 2018 at 7:47 PM Post #14,854 of 25,541
Stax is a small company and now they are being owned by a Chinese company. Don't know when they got boughted.

Apr 5, 2018 at 5:43 PM Post #14,858 of 25,541
Hi all, question. My 007-Mk1 has unfortunately developed some intermittence in the left channel. It's only an occasional problem, and while not a huge deal I would like to get it fixed at some point.

Mainly wondering how straightforward the cable replacement is, as there is very little info from those who have done the process. I have soldering experience but am unfamiliar with the precautions needed when working with delicate electrostats. The cable itself is also ~$125...yikes!

Another option is to wait until I'm back in Japan in a few months where Stax themselves can repair it, but that's going to be a while and will cost around double the price of my DIY method. Might be worth the peace of mind though. If anyone knows of competent repair services in the US I would be open to that as well.

Thanks for any insight.

Apr 6, 2018 at 3:19 AM Post #14,859 of 25,541
Hi all, question. My 007-Mk1 has unfortunately developed some intermittence in the left channel. It's only an occasional problem, and while not a huge deal I would like to get it fixed at some point.

Mainly wondering how straightforward the cable replacement is, as there is very little info from those who have done the process.

Yes, you need to get the cable changed. The damage is likely in the triangular part that joins the cable to the headphone.
I recommend the factory method. If you do it yourself, your headphone may drop more in value than the price difference for cable change.

However, if you want to do it yourself, it should be quite simple:
- Open the driver. There are 3 flat copper cable terminations on the drivers that are folded (in order to fit the case but also have sufficient length).
- Take a photo. Prepare solder wire (normal one, or with low melting point anyway), soldering flux, pincers, etc. Heat up the soldering iron up to 350, max 400 C.
- Apply a small blob of soldering flux at the soldered joint and with a calm, careful single touch get the old cable detached (3 times).
- Only after de-soldering remove the old cable from the housing.
- Play a bit with the old cable to see how it heats up and how it works with your solder wire and flux (needed for the next phase).

Reverse process for attaching the new cable:
- Attach the cable to the housing, align the driver cable terminations, check polarity.
- Apply a small amount of soldering flux to both ends.
- With a single, calm, long enough touch solder the terminations, one by one.
- Assemble the housing.

I would not really recommend this procedure for occasional hobbyists, but if one has a routine in soldering, it should be fine. As usual, calm, light hands and mind are needed, don't be afraid and don't hurry. Imagine you're Japanese :wink:.

Apr 6, 2018 at 4:19 AM Post #14,860 of 25,541
I actually have the exact same problem, and I replaced the cable just two years ago. Though I do use it daily. I think I'll just split the strain relief along the seam to reuse it and shorten the cable to resolder rather than buying a new one this time. 007 Mk I just has those kind of strain relief issues unfortunately. Almost always gets the intermittent short within an inch or two of the cups.

Apr 6, 2018 at 12:31 PM Post #14,861 of 25,541
Yes, you need to get the cable changed. The damage is likely in the triangular part that joins the cable to the headphone.
I recommend the factory method. If you do it yourself, your headphone may drop more in value than the price difference for cable change.

However, if you want to do it yourself, it should be quite simple:
- Open the driver. There are 3 flat copper cable terminations on the drivers that are folded (in order to fit the case but also have sufficient length).
- Take a photo. Prepare solder wire (normal one, or with low melting point anyway), soldering flux, pincers, etc. Heat up the soldering iron up to 350, max 400 C.
- Apply a small blob of soldering flux at the soldered joint and with a calm, careful single touch get the old cable detached (3 times).
- Only after de-soldering remove the old cable from the housing.
- Play a bit with the old cable to see how it heats up and how it works with your solder wire and flux (needed for the next phase).

Reverse process for attaching the new cable:
- Attach the cable to the housing, align the driver cable terminations, check polarity.
- Apply a small amount of soldering flux to both ends.
- With a single, calm, long enough touch solder the terminations, one by one.
- Assemble the housing.

I would not really recommend this procedure for occasional hobbyists, but if one has a routine in soldering, it should be fine. As usual, calm, light hands and mind are needed, don't be afraid and don't hurry. Imagine you're Japanese :wink:.

I actually have the exact same problem, and I replaced the cable just two years ago. Though I do use it daily. I think I'll just split the strain relief along the seam to reuse it and shorten the cable to resolder rather than buying a new one this time. 007 Mk I just has those kind of strain relief issues unfortunately. Almost always gets the intermittent short within an inch or two of the cups.

Thank you both! Will sit on the info for a few days while considering the best option. Splitting the strain relief seems worth trying when a full replacement is the alternative. I'm not too concerned about them losing value, plan to keep them for a while :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back