The Stax Thread III
Dec 4, 2017 at 3:33 AM Post #13,516 of 25,555
So, the iESL is basically the same idea as a Stax SRD-7 Pro, that is, a bias supply plus step-up transformers for the audio signal. Now, the bias supply in the Stax is a voltage multiplier with small value (0.1 uf) caps to supply a DC voltage, with a 5.1 megohm resistor after the last cap, so it has low amount of stored energy and the resistor ensures that charge can only flow slowly into the diaphragm. This helps protect the diaphragm from being zapped quickly with a large charge, and thus damaged. Because the current flow into the diaphragm is very slow, there shouldn't be any noise, ripple, etc despite the small caps.

The iESL replaces this low stored energy system with a battery, which has much more stored charge. This is an expensive solution to a non-existent problem, and potentially dangerous to the health of the diaphragm if the charge in the battery somehow gets dumped into the diaphragm.
Okay, now I can see the potential issue. It’s basically a difference in design philosophies and one I hope not to encounter. Thanks for the information.

Dec 4, 2017 at 5:20 PM Post #13,519 of 25,555
Stax friends

I am a bit confused right now. I only trust you Stax experts.

I am a happy owner of the SRS 3100. I love the sound so much, I want to put all my chips in the stacks pot. I either want to:

a) Upgrade my current DAC (Dragonfly RED) to a Modi multibit (+Eitr), Chord 2Qute or Chord Mojo
b) Upgrade my Stax AMP to get more out of the lovely L300 (I am confined to the current line of STAX AMPS however)
c) Purchase the Stax SR-L700 and use it with my 252 for now, upgrading amp later. Possibly add a modi multibit with my Stax L700 purchase

If you were in my shoes, what would you do ? I read that the L700 is significantly higher fidelity, and generally speaking if something costs more, it sounds better - this has been my experience (except estats vs dynamics :p, SRS 3100 > all dynamics I have heard). Others say L700 is not as nice sounding as L300 - and I do love my L300. I just want to optimize its sound... I.e if it can become better, I want it. So then the question is what to do? DACs are not so important, but my dac is pretty cheap unit for my setup. I don't know if L300 benefits from a better amp, or if L700 sounds good from 252.

Please help!!! :)

Dec 4, 2017 at 6:35 PM Post #13,520 of 25,555
Stax friends

I am a bit confused right now. I only trust you Stax experts.

I am a happy owner of the SRS 3100. I love the sound so much, I want to put all my chips in the stacks pot. I either want to:

a) Upgrade my current DAC (Dragonfly RED) to a Modi multibit (+Eitr), Chord 2Qute or Chord Mojo
b) Upgrade my Stax AMP to get more out of the lovely L300 (I am confined to the current line of STAX AMPS however)
c) Purchase the Stax SR-L700 and use it with my 252 for now, upgrading amp later. Possibly add a modi multibit with my Stax L700 purchase

If you were in my shoes, what would you do ? I read that the L700 is significantly higher fidelity, and generally speaking if something costs more, it sounds better - this has been my experience (except estats vs dynamics :p, SRS 3100 > all dynamics I have heard). Others say L700 is not as nice sounding as L300 - and I do love my L300. I just want to optimize its sound... I.e if it can become better, I want it. So then the question is what to do? DACs are not so important, but my dac is pretty cheap unit for my setup. I don't know if L300 benefits from a better amp, or if L700 sounds good from 252.

Please help!!! :)
Given your budget, unless you notice issues in the sound, skip upgrading the DAC. It might be a sensible decision with the 00X series, and even with the L700's given a good amp already, but upgrading to a better DAC is not the best bang for the buck at this tier, unless something is wrong with the DAC.

Given your options, upgrading to an L700 seems to be the obvious choice. While you would get a noticeably better sound out of a better amp, it's not nearly the jump from the L300 to the L700. And yes, the 252S is the weakest amp, but considering that, it's not actually that terrible, and I don't think it's crazy to run L700's through them, considering that is the most price-effective combo at that price.

Now, full disclosure, I have not heard the L700's, but I own a 3100 system like you. And like you, I wanted more. As far as I can tell, the jump from L300 to L700 is mostly about the quality of the sound, without much tonality change, unlike the previous X07 line. Of course, I could be wrong, but this is what I've heard. As much as he is probably lamented by this community, I'd like to recommend Z Review's sound demo's for the L700's and L500's (which sound the same as the L300's). While his opinions should be taken with a ocean of salt, the sound demos are fairly underrated in terms of, at the very least, being able to judge tonality, and considering the L500 and L700 sound demos were recorded at almost the same time, they should be comparable with a decent level of objectivity.

Dec 4, 2017 at 8:33 PM Post #13,521 of 25,555
Finally got my KGST.

IMG_20171204_182428643.jpg

Dec 4, 2017 at 10:27 PM Post #13,523 of 25,555
Can you share some impressions of it?

Compared to 717, not as dark, images are more solid, much tighter bass, more solid as well. It sounds sweet, not dry. This was his personal KGST. He updated it to his latest model before selling it. I asked him to put a pro bias in the normal so it has two pros.

My SR-003 Mk2 pairs really well with KGST.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2017 at 10:43 PM Post #13,524 of 25,555
Given your options, upgrading to an L700 seems to be the obvious choice. While you would get a noticeably better sound out of a better amp, it's not nearly the jump from the L300 to the L700. And yes, the 252S is the weakest amp, but considering that, it's not actually that terrible, and I don't think it's crazy to run L700's through them, considering that is the most price-effective combo at that price.

I agree with this post. Digital Audio Review actually holds the dragonfly red in pretty high regard, so really you won't have to worry about that unless it's giving you problems. I enjoy my SRM-006ts with my 407's, and if I were looking to upgrade my stax system in the future, I would definitely upgrade the earspeakers before the amp. If you're going into L700, 007, or 009 territory, then you really should budget for a better amp with that jump, but I agree that the L700 is the more important first step towards that system

Dec 5, 2017 at 10:02 AM Post #13,525 of 25,555
Compared to 717, not as dark, images are more solid, much tighter bass, more solid as well. It sounds sweet, not dry. This was his personal KGST. He updated it to his latest model before selling it. I asked him to put a pro bias in the normal so it has two pros.

My SR-003 Mk2 pairs really well with KGST.

Thanks for the impressions. Am wondering if a lowly L300 would pair well with it :)

Dec 5, 2017 at 10:57 AM Post #13,526 of 25,555
Thanks for the impressions. Am wondering if a lowly L300 would pair well with it :)

The SR-003 Mk2 is even lowlier, it’s for portable use and not much bass. But it’s midrange really shines with KGST, specially with vocals. It didn’t pair well with 717. Since these amps are DIY, Mjolnir’s KGST may sound different than others.

Dec 5, 2017 at 1:11 PM Post #13,529 of 25,555
I couldn't get a response in the L300 thread so I thought I'd try here.
I've found a used srs3100 set and the sooner I make an informed decision on whether or not to commit, the better.
Are there any particular issues to consider when purchasing a used set of Stax? I've read of some potential balance/level issues, but that's the extent of what I can find in my search so far.
Anything else that may go wrong with these electrostats that a second hand buyer should be aware of?
I understand that service work on these can be difficult to obtain.
Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back