The Stax Thread III
Aug 31, 2017 at 5:36 AM Post #12,751 of 25,678
phones 100.jpeg

here some numbers,i don't know if this makes any sense but at least it is a direction.I have owned all these phones.Of course the numbers are "living" depending of different amps/sources,diffrent ears and persons.Maybe i check the numbers again at some point and do some changes

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2017 at 11:52 AM Post #12,752 of 25,678

here some numbers,i don't know if this makes any sense but at least it is a direction.I have owned all these phones.Of course the numbers are "living" depending of different amps/sources,diffrent ears and persons.Maybe i check the numbers again at some point and do some changes

Thanks for the comparison. If you don't mind me asking, did you just email Phenomenon to order the Canorum? I emailed them a little over 2 days ago and still have not heard anything back and just wanted to make sure there wasn't a secret trick I was missing.

Aug 31, 2017 at 12:27 PM Post #12,753 of 25,678
Thanks for the comparison. If you don't mind me asking, did you just email Phenomenon to order the Canorum? I emailed them a little over 2 days ago and still have not heard anything back and just wanted to make sure there wasn't a secret trick I was missing.
i have been waiting some days or over a week or two before he answers,who knows maybe he is busy,but if you pay with Paypal there is no risk.

Sep 1, 2017 at 12:35 AM Post #12,755 of 25,678
I have been continuing to play with increased clamping force with the 009s, and, while trying a different configuration of the rubberbands then I reported, I broke the 009’s headband. See 1st photo. So if anyone does follow along, be careful.

IMG_2653.jpg

Although I am looking into getting a replacement from Stax for what I broke, I was not all that disappointed to have the opportunity to design my own support system. The 1st system I have tried is shown in the 2nd photo. By laboriously adjusting the lengths of the resistance bands (from physical therapy for my knee) and tweaking the bands’ and cups’ positions on my head, I can get pretty uniform force of the ear pads against my skull. (It would really be nice if skulls had a more regular shape !-) The sound I get from this configuration is at least as good as I was getting with the (unreported) configuration that I was testing when the break occurred. Both of these newer configurations are just slightly better than the configuration I reported on previously, with 3 rubber bands. This configuration is way inconvenient, and not as comfortable as Stax’ headband, but I would listen this way, at this point, even if that were not a requirement, to realize the improvement in sound quality.

IMG_2657.JPG

(Also, note that I have tungsten beads glued to the outsides of the ear cups. I have not reported on their effect because I cannot do A-B-A.. tests to nail their sonic efficacy. I think they reduce upper-harmonic hash, esp. on human voice, but cannot verify that without removing and replacing them. So, the jury is still out.)

BTW, removing the dust screen that is under the ear pads improves the sound in an unsurprising way. With the screens (vs. without) sounds like you are listening through a light stage curtain: there is a slight roll off in the treble (that sounds to me like “hardness”, e.g., on massed violins), the soundscape is blurrier spatially, timbres of instruments get blurred together sonically, and you can hear less of the “action” of the instruments.

Sep 1, 2017 at 5:27 AM Post #12,757 of 25,678
I have been continuing to play with increased clamping force with the 009s, and, while trying a different configuration of the rubberbands then I reported, I broke the 009’s headband. See 1st photo. So if anyone does follow along, be careful.

Although I am looking into getting a replacement from Stax for what I broke, I was not all that disappointed to have the opportunity to design my own support system. The 1st system I have tried is shown in the 2nd photo. By laboriously adjusting the lengths of the resistance bands (from physical therapy for my knee) and tweaking the bands’ and cups’ positions on my head, I can get pretty uniform force of the ear pads against my skull. (It would really be nice if skulls had a more regular shape !-) The sound I get from this configuration is at least as good as I was getting with the (unreported) configuration that I was testing when the break occurred. Both of these newer configurations are just slightly better than the configuration I reported on previously, with 3 rubber bands. This configuration is way inconvenient, and not as comfortable as Stax’ headband, but I would listen this way, at this point, even if that were not a requirement, to realize the improvement in sound quality.

(Also, note that I have tungsten beads glued to the outsides of the ear cups. I have not reported on their effect because I cannot do A-B-A.. tests to nail their sonic efficacy. I think they reduce upper-harmonic hash, esp. on human voice, but cannot verify that without removing and replacing them. So, the jury is still out.)

BTW, removing the dust screen that is under the ear pads improves the sound in an unsurprising way. With the screens (vs. without) sounds like you are listening through a light stage curtain: there is a slight roll off in the treble (that sounds to me like “hardness”, e.g., on massed violins), the soundscape is blurrier spatially, timbres of instruments get blurred together sonically, and you can hear less of the “action” of the instruments.
The funniest picture on Headfi ever:)
I hope you get them fixed soon.

Sep 1, 2017 at 6:01 AM Post #12,759 of 25,678

Thanks for posting - very interesting... This is clearly intended to summarize & compare the top tier 'stat headphones. It does make me wonder how the SR007 MKII compares / fits in. Of course any such rating will be somewhat subjective, and this could be a bit of a slippery slope (L700? L300? ESP950? ...? :)) however any additional points of comparison / reference would be welcome just for fun, and for those of us that don't often get the chance to compare these headphones - thanks.

Sep 1, 2017 at 7:18 AM Post #12,760 of 25,678
I have been continuing to play with increased clamping force with the 009s, and, while trying a different configuration of the rubberbands then I reported, I broke the 009’s headband. See 1st photo. So if anyone does follow along, be careful..

When you first started this "head clamping" idea, I did wonder if you were joking, or maybe going a bit loopy. And I'm still wondering :).

I'd rather go the other way in order to get a more comfortable fit: by adding some slithers of felt-type material to the back half of the pads, as was discussed here (and the Other Site) a while back. This has the effect of tilting the drivers in a slighty more forward facing direction and, more importantly for those with big-ish ears, it pushed the drivers a couple of mm away from the back of the ears. Which for me was the difference between the drivers slightly touching my ears and not touching them.

I also felt this tweak slightly improved SQ, but that may have just been wishful thinking, as I couldn't be bothered to do A/B comparisons.
So, although your head clamping idea may well improve SQ for all I know, I'm never going to find out, becuase comfort and looks are also important to me.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2017 at 7:46 AM Post #12,761 of 25,678
head_vice_400[1].png

When you first started this "head clamping" idea, I did wonder if you were joking, or maybe going a bit loopy. And I'm still wondering :).

I'd rather go the other way in order to get a more comfortable fit: by adding some slithers of felt-type material to the back half of the pads, as was discussed here (and the Other Site) a while back. This has the effect of tilting the drivers in a slighty more forward facing direction and, more importantly for those with big-ish ears, it pushed the drivers a couple of mm away from the back of the ears. Which for me was the difference between the drivers slightly touching my ears and not touching them.

I also felt this tweak slightly improved SQ, but that may have just been wishful thinking, as I couldn't be bothered to do A/B comparisons.
So, although your head clamping idea may well improve SQ for all I know, I'm never going to find out, becuase comfort and looks are also important to me.

I agree on this. In my (basic) test adding clamping has a crude alteration to the sound as a basic EQ would, reduces the soundstage and increases the bass a bit but encourages a bass bump or one note effect. Don't forget you are reducing the air volume in the cavity between your ear and the sound panels, bit like putting a big speaker in a smaller box, it doesn't always work. Then the added heat and discomfort and strain on the frames. TBH I believe it is a non starter. I am more interested in angling the panels as The Attorney mentioned. I note the 007 has a bit more angling in the pads. So if I had the resources, I would make some custom pads with more thickness to the rear to see if it increased the soundstage effect.

Back to the reason to try the clamping, is it you want more bass? What amp and DAC are you using? I have no problem with bass TBH. And besides, I am conscious I spent 3.5K on the 009s so don't want to trash them. I would recommend testing out theories on an old Lambda pair and use the Mother in law for the clamping force testing. Should do the job fine.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #12,764 of 25,678
Whitigir By how much do you think your SR 009 is better than your utopia?

Basically put....I go for 009 everytime I have it available. The only thing Utopia does so much better is that I can plug it into my WM1Z and slamming it away. :D Until WM1Z can be used as external USB DAC with my Utopia, then it would be a great great portable setup

Users who are viewing this thread

Back