The Stax Thread III
Aug 20, 2017 at 11:12 PM Post #12,647 of 25,525
the Phenomenon Canorum report is coming end of this month a truly world class electrostatic headphone

The frequency response is smooth with a deep bass. They sound is beautiful and detailed.

There are a couple reports on this on another website. A couple of reported issues are that they take about 20-30 min to charge up, and they do not have dust covers to protect the membrane, but the sound is potentially excellent. Also, the diaphragm coating may be hydroscopic as the sound varied with humidity. These should be fixable issues.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2017 at 1:46 AM Post #12,648 of 25,525
Libratum-half.jpg

On the other website the guy who got the Libratum has the older version of the diaphragm, the Canorum version 2 has newest diaphragm and is not as critical about charging and also other issues have been solved.I get the report as soon i make comparisons with other Staxes.The Libratum version 1 i had 2 days on loan in my home and it was very promising.The owner of the Libratum version 1 has made recently some adjustments and i was educated that it is now excellent.I'm going to hear it soon again and compare it to the new Canorum.All Libratum phones from now on come with the new diaphgram.What i have compared so far SR-009 /007 will have hard times ahead.Not sure i'm allowed to show the Libratum version 1 frequency response but anyway here it is ,the newer frequency response curve should be even better.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2017 at 2:35 AM Post #12,649 of 25,525

On the other website the guy who got the Libratum has the older version of the diaphragm, the Canorum version 2 has newest diaphragm and is not as critical about charging and also other issues have been solved.I get the report as soon i make comparisons with other Staxes.The Libratum version 1 i had 2 days on loan in my home and it was very promising.The owner of the Libratum version 1 has made recently some adjustments and i was educated that it is now excellent.I'm going to hear it soon again and compare it to the new Canorum.All Libratum phones from now on come with the new diaphgram.What i have compared so far SR-009 /007 will have hard times ahead.Not sure i'm allowed to show the Libratum version 1 frequency response but anyway here it is ,the newer frequency response curve should be even better.
What will be the price? What is its sound signature?If it's typical warm/lush sound then i wouldn't compare it to 009 because both have different sound signatures for different genres/purposes.

Aug 21, 2017 at 5:13 PM Post #12,655 of 25,525
Woah ok that makes the decision a bit less obvious. I was thinking the 006Ts would calm the supposedly bright tendencies of the L700, but not at the expense of muddiness and looseness.

Your insight has me leaning towards the 353x now, thanks!

I have been out demoing L700 against 007mk2 this week in the local store. Think I was there around 2 hours alone. So did have all the time needed.

I'd did test them with srm-006 and srm-353x

I did find the L700 abit "bright/forward" on both amps. The 353x did have most clarity where the 006 did have the tube charm.
Both amps did a good job, mostly a choice of preference.

It was a different story with 007.
Did start out with 353x, I did really enjoy that combo. When i changed to 006 I was very surprised.
I did have a feeling of all the life in 007 was sucked out. Maybe missing power to drive 007 correct?

So imo I would differently not buy 006 with 007.
But with L700 it's a matter of taste.

At the end I did take 007 and 353x with me home. And have been smiling since:)

Aug 22, 2017 at 2:44 AM Post #12,656 of 25,525
I have been out demoing L700 against 007mk2 this week in the local store. Think I was there around 2 hours alone. So did have all the time needed.

I'd did test them with srm-006 and srm-353x

I did find the L700 abit "bright/forward" on both amps. The 353x did have most clarity where the 006 did have the tube charm.
Both amps did a good job, mostly a choice of preference.

It was a different story with 007.
Did start out with 353x, I did really enjoy that combo. When i changed to 006 I was very surprised.
I did have a feeling of all the life in 007 was sucked out. Maybe missing power to drive 007 correct?

So imo I would differently not buy 006 with 007.
But with L700 it's a matter of taste.

At the end I did take 007 and 353x with me home. And have been smiling since:)

I also recently did a very similar comparison, but only between a 007A and L700 on a 006.
Having already own the 009, I found the L700 to be too similar in a lot of ways but not quite as refined so I ended up walking out with the 007A.

However, I apart from finding the 006 + 007A combo a little warm and fuzzy (i.e. lacking in micro detail) and maybe a bit under powered, it wasn't too bad.
Everything sounded wonderful again once I had it on my 727A.

Out of interest, what DAC did you use in the comparison?
I was using a marantz dac1 that they had in store with SE connections.

Aug 22, 2017 at 3:14 AM Post #12,657 of 25,525
I also recently did a very similar comparison, but only between a 007A and L700 on a 006.
Having already own the 009, I found the L700 to be too similar in a lot of ways but not quite as refined so I ended up walking out with the 007A.

However, I apart from finding the 006 + 007A combo a little warm and fuzzy (i.e. lacking in micro detail) and maybe a bit under powered, it wasn't too bad.
Everything sounded wonderful again once I had it on my 727A.

Out of interest, what DAC did you use in the comparison?
I was using a marantz dac1 that they had in store with SE connections.

They did use a QUAD preamp with balanced setup.
Not sure how good it was. Better like my little mimby at home.

An after thought, maybe the QUAD wasn't set at a fixed output lvl, hence the bad experience with 006..

Just looking to sell out my old dynamic gear and upgrade the dac.
Looking at gumby and Danafrips Ares to run balanced.

Aug 22, 2017 at 7:14 AM Post #12,658 of 25,525
They did use a QUAD preamp with balanced setup.
Not sure how good it was. Better like my little mimby at home.

An after thought, maybe the QUAD wasn't set at a fixed output lvl, hence the bad experience with 006..

Just looking to sell out my old dynamic gear and upgrade the dac.
Looking at gumby and Danafrips Ares to run balanced.

With the sr-007, I would really encourage you to look at a better DAC than the ones your mentioned if your budget allows. :floatsmile:
I was not really impressed with either :nerd: ... YMMV

Users who are viewing this thread

Back