The Stax Thread III
Jul 4, 2017 at 12:59 PM Post #12,286 of 25,675
It's daring of you to attempt to do that to a $4k earspeaker. But then again I don't see the point of spending that kind of money and wanting to do further tweaks to improve the sound. It has to be pretty much perfect in stock form, which I would expect if I ever am fortunate enough to purchase a 009.

Jul 5, 2017 at 4:59 AM Post #12,287 of 25,675
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Jul 5, 2017 at 11:49 AM Post #12,288 of 25,675
Well, unlike you, Kevin Gilmore, who posts here from time to time, has designed some of the best electrostatic headphone amps in the world (KGSS Carbon, KGSS grounded grid, KGST, Blue Hawaii, etc.), and received permission from Stax to clone their SRM-T2 for DIYers. He does this for fun, and not for profit. He posted on another site that a no-feedback amp, which Trilogy says their's is, will have problems with stability due to tube warm-up, etc. I am inclined to believe him.

I have designed and built modifications for the SRM-T1, and designed and built the SRM Plus, which is based on an original Stax DIY schematic, and have posted on another web site in infinite gory detail why current source output loads are much better than resistor loads for electrostatic headphone amps in particular, so when I stated in post #12270 what the technical concerns were about the Trilogy design, I was not blowing smoke. You don't have to apologize for anything, I'm just trying to make you a better educated consumer. Unless you believe ignorance is better than knowledge... Electrostatic headphone amps are very high voltage devices, electrostatic headphones are very, very high impedance and highly reactive, and the rules for driving them are different than for dynamic headphones, low voltage preamps, and relatively low voltage, high current amps for loudspeakers, which is what Trilogy has built prior to now. Again, if you are able to attend the Trilogy presentation, I suggest you ask them the questions I listed in my previous post, and not rely on their previous reputation. Engineering amplifiers is both an art and a science, and if you know a bit about the science behind it you'll be better able to judge whether the Trilogy has a chance of being as good as they claim. If you choose to ignore the science part, well, you know the bit about a fool and his money...
I can't go presentation as I'm working but would of loved to of asked them questions you mentioned, I wouldn't buy any amp without listening to it and make my judgement but thanks for your reply, very interesting

Jul 5, 2017 at 11:52 AM Post #12,289 of 25,675
You can't make such claims, ridiculous sorry. How do you 'know' indeed know anything about the rest of the better amps out their to make such a claim. Back this up with facts sir.... As for America makes best amps? Where is that coming from. I think you will find folk here are 100% open to any amps from anywhere, as long as they sound good and are well built.
It was just wishful thinking, The trilogy might not be all that but I'm looking forward to finding out as I've loved his other products

Jul 5, 2017 at 3:33 PM Post #12,290 of 25,675
With my A&K SP1000 received today, my portable battery operated Stax set-up is now complete :darthsmile: . Ready to go....

IMG_4900.jpg IMG_4898.jpg

Jul 5, 2017 at 3:37 PM Post #12,291 of 25,675
Can't find where to start new thread now that I want it, so it goes here.
Can anyone fathom the insanity of stax signature prices on ebay, £601, £516, £441, £432, there are cheaper prices but people don't seem to want their signatures to be auctioned. It seems contagious to request evermore extortionate prices. I really don't get it, do you?

Jul 6, 2017 at 12:08 PM Post #12,296 of 25,675
Please allow me to share another track with such nice treble. 009+GG+ LSK 004 :D

Suuuuuuuuch terrible music selection. Worse than the first. :laughing:

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2017 at 12:16 PM Post #12,297 of 25,675
the ambient noise must be a PITA (if you´re wearing outside)

correct, I only use it in my personal anéchoïque room ! :ksc75smile:

anéchoïque room2.jpg

Jul 6, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #12,299 of 25,675
There seems to be a lot of Asian pop music fans on this forum. Hey, whatever floats your boat. I just can't get on with mainstream music in general - Celine Dion, Adele, Katy Perry, Ed Sheeran etc. Dreadful. Not sure which is worse though: cheesy pop music or bad rock music (e.g. Nickelback, Creed). At least the former can be listened to with my kids without much offense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back