The Stax Thread III
Jul 25, 2016 at 8:55 AM Post #9,346 of 25,541
I also prefer the omega with the t2 over the bhse but I might just be biased

Jul 25, 2016 at 11:51 AM Post #9,347 of 25,541
The T2 is the one amp that can rule all phones for me. Everything that I've pluged in the T2 always yield a magnificent sound.

Jul 25, 2016 at 12:21 PM Post #9,349 of 25,541
The T2 is the one amp that can rule all phones for me. Everything that I've pluged in the T2 always yield a magnificent sound.

Does that include my DIY phones as well?  
tongue_smile.gif

Jul 25, 2016 at 12:23 PM Post #9,350 of 25,541
Jul 25, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #9,351 of 25,541
Jul 25, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #9,353 of 25,541
I've been lurking in here for a while now, and everyone's comments have me extremely curious! Before buying though, I'd prefer to try Stax out. I've been looking around Chicago and can't find anyone with them in stock. I would have expected that the 3rd largest city in the US would have some kind of reseller..

Have you all been ordering online based on faith? If not, where have you been able to audition them? I'd really appreciate any guidance. This is driving me nuts.

Jul 25, 2016 at 1:18 PM Post #9,354 of 25,541
  I've been lurking in here for a while now, and everyone's comments have me extremely curious! Before buying though, I'd prefer to try Stax out. I've been looking around Chicago and can't find anyone with them in stock. I would have expected that the 3rd largest city in the US would have some kind of reseller..

Have you all been ordering online based on faith? If not, where have you been able to audition them? I'd really appreciate any guidance. This is driving me nuts.

I believe there is a big audio show in your neck of the woods every year.  Stax may attend.  You can hear them there if they do.  You might also be able to hear them at a meet.  In a huge metropolitan area like Chicago there is likely to be members who will bring in their Stax rig.  I would not buy them on faith.  Not everyone likes the Stax sound.  At CanJam SoCal I heard an SR009 and a Blue Hawaii SE and didn't like it.  I then heard an L700 and Stax SRM006tS (less than a 3rd of the cost of the 009 and BHSE) and loved it.  You should really listen to them first before you make an expensive mistake.  Good luck.     

Jul 25, 2016 at 1:21 PM Post #9,355 of 25,541

AXPONA is a good start. Or check the local meets thread.

We bought our Lambdas back in the 80s from Audio Consultants in Hinsdale, but I don't think they are a dealer anymore.

There is, however, a picture of a Stax headphone on their product page so you might give them a call and ask.

Jul 25, 2016 at 1:33 PM Post #9,356 of 25,541

Stax isn't real, never existed in real life ... originally founded at Second Life and eventually crawled into various places where things that aren't real are subject for endless discussions.
Some even believe they have actually heard a Stax ... pure imagination of course ... but says a lot about out the autosuggestion ability ...
Stax sometimes turns up in the classifieds, and are sold as well. The buyer never receives anything of course, but are now caught by the conspiracy and will afterwards frequently report about impressions, usually "never heard anything like it" or similar expression, which is quite true ... the movement is actually so strong that other manufactors are even producing small pieces of plastic they put onto their drivers to mimic what isn't really there and be like Stax ... of course putting more material onto material doesn't make anything less material and won't make it disappear into the ether.
the pros of being into Stax is that you can listen as loud as you want, it will never hurt your hearing and always sound superb assuming you have reach the level where you can imagine the perfect amp as well. It does take some practice and a fat wallet to be part of the non-existing, and to cope with all the rumors of the next thing not to be, but quite rewarding when succeeding
wink_face.gif

Jul 25, 2016 at 3:18 PM Post #9,357 of 25,541
AXPONA is a good start. Or check the local meets thread.

We bought our Lambdas back in the 80s from Audio Consultants in Hinsdale, but I don't think they are a dealer anymore.

There is, however, a picture of a Stax headphone on their product page so you might give them a call and ask.

My house is only blocks away from an Audio Consultants shop. When I asked them about demoing Stax equipment they got a sour look and said that their contacts at Stax recently vanished. Even the units in for repair were never seen again. It makes me nervous about buying from Stax, but at the same time I desperately want to understand what I'm missing out on.

Thanks for the tips, everyone!

Jul 25, 2016 at 3:35 PM Post #9,359 of 25,541
I tried giving the HE90 an honest go with the T2 but it just didn't hold up.

It's a bit puzzling to me since I recall really enjoying the HE90 out of the BHSE perhaps even over the Omega (I know, I know) but it could be the honeymoon days being long over.

My T2 doesn't have a native HE90 output but neither did my BHSE.

Jul 25, 2016 at 3:42 PM Post #9,360 of 25,541
  I tried giving the HE90 an honest go with the T2 but it just didn't hold up.

It's a bit puzzling to me since I recall really enjoying the HE90 out of the BHSE perhaps even over the Omega (I know, I know) but it could be the honeymoon days being long over.

My T2 doesn't have a native HE90 output but neither did my BHSE.

My T2 is properly wired with the HE90 as well as the BHSE, and the HE90 is definitely much better out of my BHSE.  I would  rate the HE90 as being the best out of the T2, Aristaeus, Carbon = HEV90, BHSE, and KGSSHV500V version.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back