The Stax Thread III
Jun 12, 2016 at 5:38 AM Post #9,031 of 25,542

popcorn.gif

I'd like to afford the retermination next week. Could someone help me in this question?
Do you think there are sound differences with/without the resistor?

Thanks once again

10M resistor is specified by Sennheiser. You need to use some resistor spec'ed at > 600V - the resistor is there as protection - using only 5M will probably damage your diaphragm long term, there are no SQ benefit to gain from using 5M rather than 10M.

Jun 12, 2016 at 8:39 AM Post #9,033 of 25,542
Probably smarter to just make an adapter cable to not damage the value of the headphones. Stax extension cables are cheap fodder for that. The question is, where can you buy an HE60 female connector? Moon has the HE90, and I saw some premade adaptors that used HE60 females but I couldn't track down a source in the few minutes I spent looking.

Jun 12, 2016 at 9:11 AM Post #9,034 of 25,542

popcorn.gif

I'd like to afford the retermination next week. Could someone help me in this question?
Do you think there are sound differences with/without the resistor?

Thanks once again

Probably smarter to just make an adapter cable to not damage the value of the headphones. Stax extension cables are cheap fodder for that. The question is, where can you buy an HE60 female connector? Moon has the HE90, and I saw some premade adaptors that used HE60 females but I couldn't track down a source in the few minutes I spent looking.

Agree

Wiktor did it a while back ... here

Jun 12, 2016 at 1:01 PM Post #9,035 of 25,542

Maybe not yet? I got attacked over at the other place even though I rarely post there and in this case didn't. Thought, I've head enough. BUT still listening to music and TBH most of the guys on here, even though some don't know the highest technical detail of how an amp works or is designed, have golden ears and spent shed loads of time (and some money as well). In my book that personal experience is as good. Don't need to know how a 911 works but you can be great at enjoying / driving it.

I have also had a lot of reputations and PMs asking me not to leave, so thanks guys for that. This is what this hobby is about (folk helping each other).

Been enjoying my speakers and new DAC the last few days as my 2 x KGSShv's are sold. I miss the 009s for sure.

That "other place" likes to act entitled. I wouldn't let it get to ya buddy.

Jun 12, 2016 at 11:53 PM Post #9,037 of 25,542
Thank you very much to all for your help!!!

Quote:

Perhaps that is the best idea, but I don't plan to sell them ever. I've been long looking for flat response headphones but with light roll off at high frequencies and I think I have found it with the HE-60.

I own a SR009 and If I had to decide to keep between one of both that would be very difficult for me. SR009 sound fantastic but HE-60 are at the same level ...

I, ve trying to found a HE-60 female connectors but it's a utopia..

I, ve seen those from aliexpress but currently unavailable

Thanks a lot!!!

Jun 13, 2016 at 3:47 AM Post #9,038 of 25,542
A very long time ago there was someone on Head-Fi who found an automobile part that fit the HE60 plug:

Its a Park neutral position switch connector from a 1996 Saturn Sl2
Part # 1211657 which can be ordered through The parts dept of a saturn or GM dealership List price is $33.80.
Or you can do what I did ,I went to a local junkyard and cut it out of the wiring harness on a junk Saturn automatic of course.

I never pursued it because there are no Saturns in Europe. (I went with little gold connectors from a demolished sound card.)

Edit: the part number doesn't give any useful results, but searching for 1996 Saturn SL2 connectors does return this interesting candidate: http://www.carparts.com/details/Saturn/SL2/Replacement/Connectors/1996/Base/4_Cyl_1-dot-9L/REPB381202.html

Jun 13, 2016 at 9:14 AM Post #9,039 of 25,542
KGSS vs KGST

OK so my search for a half-decent 'stop-gap' amp for SR-009 (until Carbon/BHSE is within sight) is narrowed down to either a used KGSS or a used KGST. I understand the basic difference between the two amps, but which is the better amp for SR-009? For me, amongst other things, I particularly value good bass response and a large soundstage. Whilst neither amp likely excels in these areas against say a Carbon or BHSE, is one better than the other in these areas? I have it in my head that KGST is generally thought to be 'better' than KGSS, but I don't know why, or even if it is true at all....

Jun 13, 2016 at 10:55 AM Post #9,042 of 25,542
  KGSS vs KGST

OK so my search for a half-decent 'stop-gap' amp for SR-009 (until Carbon/BHSE is within sight) is narrowed down to either a used KGSS or a used KGST. I understand the basic difference between the two amps, but which is the better amp for SR-009? For me, amongst other things, I particularly value good bass response and a large soundstage. Whilst neither amp likely excels in these areas against say a Carbon or BHSE, is one better than the other in these areas? I have it in my head that KGST is generally thought to be 'better' than KGSS, but I don't know why, or even if it is true at all....

I recommend the KGST over the KGSS.  With the KGST, you can always roll tubes for better sound despite limited tube choices.  I find the KGST to be quite a capable amp only loosing out to the full-sized KGSSHV in term of soundstage and resolution...but it also make up with better midrange purity.

Jun 13, 2016 at 11:08 AM Post #9,043 of 25,542
  KGSS vs KGST

A KGSSHV (not KGSS) will be your perfect stopgap solution given that you value soundstage and bass response -- which are the KGSShv's 2 relative strengths, and the KGST's 2 greatest weaknesses compared to better amps. I've heard KGSShv's run the gamut from warm to bright depending on build, so you'd want to do some research there to hit your preferences.

A KGST is what you'd go for if you valued sweet/liquid tube mids the most (vs the slightly analytical/dry mids of SS) -- yes the midrange sounds more "alive" on a good tube amp.

Jun 13, 2016 at 11:22 AM Post #9,044 of 25,542
  A KGSSHV (not KGSS) will be your perfect stopgap solution given that you value soundstage and bass response -- which are the KGSShv's 2 relative strengths, and the KGST's 2 greatest weaknesses compared to better amps. I've heard KGSShv's run the gamut from warm to bright depending on build, so you'd want to do some research there to hit your preferences.

A KGST is what you'd go for if you valued sweet/liquid tube mids the most (vs the slightly analytical/dry mids of SS) -- yes the midrange sounds more "alive" on a good tube amp.

Yes, I would take a KGSSHV, but can't justify the additional $$$, as this will only further delay the Carbon purchase. For now I just want something that will let me enjoy SR-009 at a half-decent level and at the same time let me reach a Carbon asap.

Jun 13, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #9,045 of 25,542
I can sell you my (black) Stax 007t/ii amp with pretty new upgraded RCA cleartop tubes for $1000. It's quite acceptable with nice tubey mids/highs. I replaced it with a KGSS-HV.
I was keeping it as a backup amp, since I was satisfied with the sound on my 009.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back