The Stax Thread III
Jun 2, 2016 at 7:23 PM Post #8,912 of 25,541
  it depend on your age...

No, that's a fallacy.  Your brain adapts, just like if you wear sunglasses all day everything starts to look natural - until you take the glasses off.  If your hearing rolls off at high frequencies, the decreased highs sound natural because that's what you hear ALL THE TIME.  So if you EQ back to "flat" it will sound too bright, because compared to what you hear with your "bare" ears, it IS too bright.

Jun 3, 2016 at 2:05 AM Post #8,914 of 25,541
How does the stax 3100 compared to 2170?

I have purchased 2170 from ebay then the seller did a refund and say it is not available on stock.

Z reviews YouTube video did number on the available stock in Japan. Not to mention they have been discontinued. They were still listed on price Japan yesterday for $505 shipped EMS to the states.

Jun 3, 2016 at 9:43 AM Post #8,916 of 25,541
Your brain adapts, just like if you wear sunglasses all day everything starts to look natural - until you take the glasses off.  If your hearing rolls off at high frequencies, the decreased highs sound natural because that's what you hear ALL THE TIME.  So if you EQ back to "flat" it will sound too bright, because compared to what you hear with your "bare" ears, it IS too bright.

I agree with this. I have a friend with hearing sadly decreasing over time (following a virus infection, escalating into more problems), but he was still better at telling good sound apart, things I (with better hearing) didn't notice until given clues. Training matters. Also, it seems that (apart from really bad cases) that decreasing hearing is not really an obstacle in enjoying music - you may need different equipment, but music stays music, and our brain does wonders in adapting.

Jun 3, 2016 at 10:56 AM Post #8,917 of 25,541

I agree with this. I have a friend with hearing sadly decreasing over time (following a virus infection, escalating into more problems), but he was still better at telling good sound apart, things I (with better hearing) didn't notice until given clues. Training matters. Also, it seems that (apart from really bad cases) that decreasing hearing is not really an obstacle in enjoying music - you may need different equipment, but music stays music, and our brain does wonders in adapting.

Yes I agree. And there is 'audiophile' hearing aids. I never knew this until my father - in - law got some. They are custom fitted to the ear and supposed to be full frequency band, so not the squaky crap the hospital supply. Not cheap mind.

On this vein, I was visiting my mother in the care home (private) and walking between room it spotted an old guy with a valve tuner/amp and a Stax headphone amp with 009s hooked up. YES, I thought, that would be me when I am 80+

Jun 3, 2016 at 8:43 PM Post #8,919 of 25,541
  is wear a hearing aid a fallacy? i don't think so...:frowning2:

Sorry, I should have been more specific.  Yes, hearing tends to decline as we grow older, particularly at higher frequencies.  But that does not mean that we need to compensate by boosting the high frequencies - that is the fallacy.  A natural sound balance from headphones will continue to sound natural because that's what we hear in real life.

Jun 3, 2016 at 10:12 PM Post #8,920 of 25,541
Z reviews YouTube video did number on the available stock in Japan. Not to mention they have been discontinued. They were still listed on price Japan yesterday for $505 shipped EMS to the states.

how good are the actual Stax SRS-2170 headphones? zeo tends to go a bit nutty on his reviews and shouldn't be taken too seriously 

Jun 4, 2016 at 12:16 AM Post #8,921 of 25,541
I write this here. I, ve open a new thread but no good luck with my dudes and after reading a lot I have still a question which I' d like to resolve:

I, ve decided to reterminate my HE-60 with Stax plug and sell the HEV70...I do not plan to sell my HE60 because they are fantastic and I'm very happy with them. Along with my SR-009 and 4070 they form a perfect trio.

I ordered a Stax male & female plugs and my purpose is to cut the original cable approximately 20cm (8 inches) before the connector and place there the female plug, while on the other side put the male connector 

Is absolutely necessary to put a 5 ohm resistor before the Stax plug or there is risk of damage for the headphones if I don't put it?

Thanks

Jun 4, 2016 at 2:39 AM Post #8,922 of 25,541
how good are the actual Stax SRS-2170 headphones? zeo tends to go a bit nutty on his reviews and shouldn't be taken too seriously 

Yes, he does go over the top with most of his reviews. Like it or not, he does have quite the following, and after his video was posted, all the lower priced SR-2170 systems were snapped up fast.

On one of the the other sites, they claim the SR-207 headphone are used in a few pro studios, because of the more neutral presentation compared to their more expensive Stax siblings.

Jun 4, 2016 at 12:08 PM Post #8,923 of 25,541
Understand that it would be a hard question to answer, but does anyone know of an improvement in the failure rates for the SR009, specifically the channel imbalances?

Did Stax ever release a public statement about the issues that were happening?

Jun 4, 2016 at 12:16 PM Post #8,924 of 25,541
Understand that it would be a hard question to answer, but does anyone know of an improvement in the failure rates for the SR009, specifically the channel imbalances?

Did Stax ever release a public statement about the issues that were happening?

That is never going top happen. As regards failure rates, the only numbers are those posting on here or at dealer repair centres. Dealers don't want to shout about it, neither do Stax, so kinda a dead end street.

TBH I have also had this issue with my 009s and got them repaired under warranty. I have no idea what caused it, but is was 22 months in from purchase.
My only thought was I used to leave the amp on all the time with the phones plugged in. I have no idea if that was the issue.

It would be most useful if someone could get hold of the damaged drivers of their own imbalanced headphone, and have a techie take it apart.

So it's a mystery IMO. To stop the drama, I think there are maybe 5% failures? That is off the top of my head and based on the posts I have read and serial numbers (units sold). I don't think Stax is alone though, I have heard the LCD range have more problems and some owners have gone through 3 sets. I know of nobody with the 009 who has had it happen twice. I am hoping I haven't encouraged fate there....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back