The Stax Thread III
Jan 13, 2016 at 6:34 AM Post #7,711 of 25,553
Hey guys,

I would be pairing the Abyss with my Auralic Taurus Mk2. I have heard the SR009 before, and loved it. I'm not a bass head, but I do love good bass, and the SR009 had great bass to me. Perhaps with a tiny bit of eq to bring up the low end it would be perfect. I mostly listen to electronic stuff, metal, rock, some pop, and jazz. I won't be able to try out the Abyss it looks like sadly, so I'm trying to get as much info as I can online first. What do you guys think? Thanks for the help!

I like you am also not a bass head, and the none Stax amps I've heard with the 009's are my BHSE and astrostar59's two HVSSHV's.
Between the BHSE and KGSSHV I much prefer the BHSE, but my guess is bass heads would prefer the KGSSHV, I've never heard a Carbon.
From what's been written about the Abyss that too has supposed to have a strong bass, but Abyss owners will be able to say more about that.

The downside ( IMO ) with the BHSE while driving 009's are the stock tubes, myself and I believe other have found the 009's sound uncomfortable, but I'm now using Mullard xf4's and the 009's aren't fatiguing at all, the Yggy has also helped with that.
Lastly, with you not being a bass head, you should ( IMO ) go with the 009's and not the 007's, however to be sure it would be better for you to try both Earspeaker's.

Jan 13, 2016 at 9:44 AM Post #7,712 of 25,553
Damn, Birgir's moving sale is so tempting.

http://www.mjolnir-audio.com/sample-page-2/

$2,550 shipped worldwide for a mini KGSSHV.

Jan 13, 2016 at 12:03 PM Post #7,714 of 25,553
Get the mini and toss your KGSS.

His amps hold value and at those prices you'll barely be out shipping if you ever decide to sell.

Hah, I would if I could.  I could only sell this KGSS for around 1/3 the price of that KGSSHV mini most likely.  I didn't even order the SR-007A yet.  But to anyone in need of electrostatic amps, there you are.

Jan 13, 2016 at 12:28 PM Post #7,715 of 25,553
To everyone quibbling about 727s and diy things here, get that khsshv-mini in that link above brand new for ~$2500. A no-brainer if you need a stax amp and can beg/borrow/steal the funds. It sounds great on my 007 and 009. I'm not even tempted by the carbon or bhse [OK, just a little to be honest], even though they may be better (I'm not fixing what's not broken.)

Jan 13, 2016 at 4:59 PM Post #7,719 of 25,553
For those using HPS-2 for their Stax, I propose the ultimate mod :

The toilet paper roll 
cool.gif

Cut it in lengthwise, put it on the top of the stand :
- it fits perfectly, almost unnoticeable at first sight
- you'll avoid folding marks on headbands
- it'll absorb hair's grease...
- ...and you'll see the grease on it, telling when to change it

Ali

Jan 13, 2016 at 7:15 PM Post #7,720 of 25,553
Get the mini and toss your KGSS.

His amps hold value and at those prices you'll barely be out shipping if you ever decide to sell.

Also bare in mind that Birgir's favorite headphone is the SR007, so he has a tendency to voice the amp to sound best with the SR007 and not the SR009.  I have auditioned two KGSSHV mini with one being warmer (prototype) and another is the current mini with greater emphasis on treble.  I would check with him first which is the amp to buy if you prefer the SR009 over the SR007.  Just my take on it.  And the full-size KGSSHVs that I've tried (not Mjolnir units) do sound better compared to the current KGSSHV mini.  So you have to sacrifice some performance by going with the mini, but man it is such a beautiful amp that sounds good to boot.

Jan 14, 2016 at 1:50 AM Post #7,721 of 25,553
  Also bare in mind that Birgir's favorite headphone is the SR007, so he has a tendency to voice the amp to sound best with the SR007 and not the SR009. 

He won't express it that way, methinks. More likely "C'mon you bunch of halwits, I'm about linearity and transparency, so I DO NOT voice amps. And it's obvious to anyone whith more than one neuron 009 are screw** up, those who prefers 009 to 007 are just deaf morons who have absolutely no screw** clue about it".
And I'm sure I've forgotten lots of F words and sweet-to-the-hear icelandic cursing on the way 
biggrin.gif

Anyway, moving sale so tempting...I've to resist...yes...damn... 
redface.gif

Ali

Jan 14, 2016 at 2:07 AM Post #7,722 of 25,553
I don't always post, but when I do.

I have been away for a long time now, since I sold the 007 MkI, which I regretted dearly. So last year I made the HV, albeit with much explosions. I couldn't have completed the build if not for the fact that I received tremendous help from the Stax mafia, specifically Victor Chew. It's another 1 year before I finally made the plunge. I asked my friend who's traveling in Tokyo right now to pick up a pair for me. The last pair in stock at E-earphone. I am picking it up 3 days from now.

Another friend of mine got me itchy again. I got a pair of Dynaudio recently, and have just auditioned the Maggies 1.7 powered by the incredible Sanders ESL amp (capable of almost 800W into 4 ohm). I will be checking out the Soltanus Acoustics ESL speakers too. Safe to say that, my dream speakers build is just a pair of Maggie 3.7i with the Sanders Magtech amp, which cost less than $10k. Or I might consider the Sanders ESL speakers, or the Soltanus Acoustics ESL speakers. I do like Quad, but I have heard that their quality has not been where it was during their heyday.

There's too many dynamic cans out there, too many amps, Stax makes it easier to pick. Sometimes less choices is better for me. I like planar headphones and speakers a lot. But even then there's too many planar magnetic cans out there. For speakers, there are less choices so easier to choose. If one day after getting the speakers, and I still find myself having too much money lying around, which is highly unlikely (and rather impossible) I would take a look at the gorgeous yet priced over-the-line Orpheus II.

Many thanks to many people, Kevin Gilmore, Spritzer (Birgir), Lil Knight, Victor Chew, Kerry, RiStaR, the lot of Stax mafias, and Currawong, Shigzeo, and AnakChan, and the rest of whom I might have missed. I can't be too happy yet, not 100% sure my HV is working. But from measurements it should be alright. Voltage swings to Vpp of 1.8kV, bias voltage is alright.

Cheers.

Jan 17, 2016 at 2:51 AM Post #7,724 of 25,553
I waited for this for 4 years. Heartfelt thanks to Stax mafias.

I have had much explosions when making the HV, this time I plugged the 009 into it and it.....

exploded into some great music. The downside is, I seem to hear a lot of background details which I hadn't heard before. All the hisses and cracks, all the flaws in the recordings...

The next big purchase would be a better DAC with pre-amp out. Then will be the Soltanus Acoustics ESL speakers, and then the Sanders Magtech power amp.

Jan 17, 2016 at 5:44 AM Post #7,725 of 25,553
  I waited for this for 4 years. Heartfelt thanks to Stax mafias.

I have had much explosions when making the HV, this time I plugged the 009 into it and it.....

exploded into some great music. The downside is, I seem to hear a lot of background details which I hadn't heard before. All the hisses and cracks, all the flaws in the recordings...

The next big purchase would be a better DAC with pre-amp out. Then will be the Soltanus Acoustics ESL speakers, and then the Sanders Magtech power amp.

Congrats, I am glad you got your KGSShv going. I have 2 and they are both great amps and sound superb with the 009s. I assume you built the amp yourself?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back