The Stax Thread III
Nov 3, 2015 at 4:11 PM Post #7,081 of 25,543
I am  dubious about the fact that the new Sennheiser is  "system,"  and curious as to whetherthey  have really come up with a better "headphone" or rather a "system"  where we do not know what is the respective contribution of the parts of the system. Whereas the original Orpheus could be run on other systems, this one may very well not be compatible with other equipment.  As such Sennheiser may not have actually produced a better headphone, but rather a very refined and expensive  "system."

It may very well be that some or all of the apparent quality of this system has more to do with the amp and dac  than with the phones themselves. If it is  not possible to test the phones away from the rest of the system it may be impossible to find out .  Because  the phones have  some kind of built-in amplification in the earcups  we may end up not knowing what is truly going on. 

The use of  amplification in the earcups  is not a new idea,   Koss did this in the 60's with its ESP 6 which had  step-up transformers in the
earcups.  Not quite identical but a definite conceptual  resemblance.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/234504/koss-esp6-refurbished-vintage-electrostatics

Nov 3, 2015 at 4:15 PM Post #7,082 of 25,543
My heart just skipped a beat.

Sennheiser's new electrostatic headphone system (successor to the legendary Orpheus, out next year) will actually cost...around 50,000 Euros. O_O

http://www.head-fi.org/t/786512/sennheiser-orpheus-successor-the-sennheiser-he1060-hev1060-first-look

Due to its controversial nature, this will inevitably be nicknamed the "STAX killer" even if some people don't like it as much as the best STAX. My best friend wants it too. haha

Why don't you hop over to the sennheiser thread? I know you've only heard the HD598, but the new Orpheus is clearly the one for you.

Nov 3, 2015 at 4:21 PM Post #7,083 of 25,543
  I am  dubious about the fact that the new Sennheiser is  "system,"  and curious as to whetherthey  have really come up with a better "headphone" or rather a "system"  where we do not know what is the respective contribution of the parts of the system. Whereas the original Orpheus could be run on other systems, this one may very well not be compatible with other equipment.  As such Sennheiser may not have actually produced a better headphone, but rather a very refined and expensive  "system."

It may very well be that some or all of the apparent quality of this system has more to do with the amp and dac  than with the phones themselves. If it is  not possible to test the phones away from the rest of the system it may be impossible to find out .  Because  the phones have  some kind of built-in amplification in the earcups  we may end up not knowing what is truly going on. 

You raise valid points. The onboard DAC can be bypassed when you connect an external DAC via the analog inputs.

Why don't you hop over to the sennheiser thread? I know you've only heard the HD598, but the new Orpheus is clearly the one for you.

While I agree that this thread should be about STAX, and the new Orpheus should be primarily discussed in its own thread, other electrostats are highly relevant and should at least be mentioned, especially something like this.

No, in the HD series, I owned the 280, 590, 650, and 700, and auditioned the 558 and 800. Never heard the 598.

Nov 3, 2015 at 5:00 PM Post #7,086 of 25,543
redface.gif

Nov 3, 2015 at 9:20 PM Post #7,091 of 25,543
Since you are the builder of mulveling's beautiful amps, was wondering if his KGST is based on the earlier group build PCBs with simple CCS 6S4A loads. Or did you build with the later design with cascode CCS?

TIA

It's the earlier version of the CCS. The cascode CCS boards are slightly larger. It would be a very tight fit in that chassis.

Nov 3, 2015 at 9:39 PM Post #7,092 of 25,543
Hello guys I need some help.
I just got a new 727II. When I test the bias voltage I found between R/L to GND they are all above 10V. I believe it shouldn't read like this. The power cord is already grounded. Do I need to adjust the OFFSETS? I am so confused since it is brand new. Is it supposed to be like this? Or I'd better return it for the possibility of part defects? 

Also when I use the bypass mode that 727 offers, even the voltage imbalance between R+/L+ and R-/L- grows large and unbelievably oscillating. 
confused_face_2.gif

Who knows it? Please help...

Nov 4, 2015 at 5:22 AM Post #7,093 of 25,543
I just got a new 727II. When I test the bias voltage I found between R/L to GND they are all above 10V. I believe it shouldn't read like this. The power cord is already grounded. Do I need to adjust the OFFSETS? I am so confused since it is brand new. Is it supposed to be like this? Or I'd better return it for the possibility of part defects? 

Also when I use the bypass mode that 727 offers, even the voltage imbalance between R+/L+ and R-/L- grows large and unbelievably oscillating. 
confused_face_2.gif

10V is not that much in the range of hundreds of volts in which the amp is operating. If you like, you can adjust the offset to compensate, but do so with the amp on for a few hours (with the top already off, so that you don't have to fiddle with that later with the amp on), so that it's fully warmed up and stabilized. When I did this on my SRM-T1, warming up the amp for a few hours helped decrease the oscillating.
There's no need to return the amp, unless you are unable to adjust the offset to 0V, for example when you max out a trimpot and you still measure more than 10V offset. Then maybe there's something wrong, but I wouldn't worry for now.

I don't know about the imbalance between left and right oscillating. Do you have a source with a steady, for example 60Hz, test tone connected? Or could it be your multimeter that's not measuring steadily?

Nov 4, 2015 at 9:30 AM Post #7,094 of 25,543

confused_face_2.gif

Seconding that you should definitely make sure you let it warm up for a couple hours before measurements. They can drift a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back