The Stax Thread III
Oct 31, 2015 at 5:41 PM Post #6,977 of 25,535
After listening today several hours with L-700 and comparing it to SR-009 i found the 700 to be more controlled and sounding little bit like a closed headphone.
And there is also another thing wich is hard to explain,when you listen to 009 it doesn't show you anything especially you have pick up or choose what you like to hear. .The l-700 is presenting for you,this feature came up when i noticed "new" things on recordings the l-700 "showed"me what i have to listen.Upper bass on l-700 is slightly prominent it gives the piano size or ground.I noticed on some recording that lower highs are also slightly prominent but this has to be investigated further

Oct 31, 2015 at 8:05 PM Post #6,978 of 25,535

This thread has gone flat. It's a shame, because in my opinion, after trying everything else, Stax makes the finest headphones ever produced.

So here is my contribution: a DHT based electrostatic headphone amp. As far as I can tell, this is uncharted territory.  I'll be posting full schematics in the next few days, will take part in any discussion anyone wishes, and will do my best to answer all questions.

As anyone familiar with electrostatic amplifier design will immediately recognize, this is not a traditional design. I am primarily a vacuum tube hobbyist and neither an audiophile or engineer, but I do like projects that go against convention.

I spent the better part of a year and essentially the cost of a top-tier commercial product building this amp. I don't regret it, but there won't be another.

The design is my own, but I've drawn heavily from the work of Pete Millet, Audio Note, Andrea Cuiffoli, and many others. This project could not have been done without the substantial help and custom transformers from Jack Elliano of Electra-Print Audio. And although we have different audio perspectives, the encyclopedic contributions of "Spritzer" and Dr. Kevin Gilmore have been the foundation of my understanding of electrostatic headphones and essentially enabled me to chart my own course.

I make no claims about it's performance except that I am pleased with the result. The intent of the project was to offer a DHT perspective to the 009. Most that have heard it agree that for better or worse, it succeeds in that area.

So if anyone is interested, fire away.

Oct 31, 2015 at 8:40 PM Post #6,980 of 25,535

I've heard very impressive things about your amps, including from friends who have heard them. How does one go about purchasing an amp from you? From what little I've read about it, it seems that you only make amps for a few people.

Also, is that quilt maple? It looks gorgeous, like designs I see on guitars.

Oct 31, 2015 at 9:46 PM Post #6,982 of 25,535

This thread has gone flat. It's a shame, because in my opinion, after trying everything else, Stax makes the finest headphones ever produced.

Agreed. And in fairness, I think most of the useful discussion on electrostats has moved to other the site - unfortunately it is mostly useless drivel here for the most part. Hoping that will change at some point.

Looking forward to you publishing your project, maybe that will jump start things. Might want to cross post this one.

Oct 31, 2015 at 10:33 PM Post #6,984 of 25,535
Thank you for showing the innards of the amp...wow...what a beautiful P2P wiring!

Oct 31, 2015 at 11:49 PM Post #6,985 of 25,535

What are you referring to specifically?

You constantly talk about Stax models, e.g.  007 009 and L700, like you have experience with them. But you don't, as far as I'm aware. That's not even getting into amps. I appreciate your enthusiasm for the Stax models you've heard, but your post ratio is so high that your enthusiasm is probably mistaken for hard experience by a lot of lurkers in this forum. That's what we're not so thrilled about. Stax headphones are great because they sound so amazing both technically and musically. They don't need hype or speculation to muddy the waters.

Also, an R2R dac is not required to enjoy the 009. That's stupid.

Nov 1, 2015 at 12:32 AM Post #6,986 of 25,535
  You constantly talk about Stax models, e.g.  007 009 and L700, like you have experience with them. But you don't, as far as I'm aware. That's not even getting into amps. I appreciate your enthusiasm for the Stax models you've heard, but your post ratio is so high that your enthusiasm is probably mistaken for hard experience by a lot of lurkers in this forum. That's what we're not so thrilled about. Stax headphones are great because they sound so amazing both technically and musically. They don't need hype or speculation to muddy the waters.

Also, an R2R dac is not required to enjoy the 009. That's stupid.

Fair enough. For the record, I have only heard the SR-207 and SR-30. When I talk about other models, I try to keep it relevant. For example, if someone posts a comparison, I might ask questions to learn more. At the moment, I don't have the luxury of buying them, so I resort to doing what I can to get a better feel for them until my budget is higher.

Nov 1, 2015 at 3:21 AM Post #6,987 of 25,535

So here is my contribution: a DHT based electrostatic headphone amp. As far as I can tell, this is uncharted territory.  I'll be posting full schematics in the next few days, will take part in any discussion anyone wishes, and will do my best to answer all questions.

Wow. Can not wait to see the schematics - thank you :)

Nov 1, 2015 at 3:23 AM Post #6,988 of 25,535

I've heard very impressive things about your amps, including from friends who have heard them. How does one go about purchasing an amp from you? From what little I've read about it, it seems that you only make amps for a few people.

Also, is that quilt maple? It looks gorgeous, like designs I see on guitars.

I spent the better part of a year and essentially the cost of a top-tier commercial product building this amp. I don't regret it, but there won't be another.

Nov 1, 2015 at 4:09 AM Post #6,989 of 25,535
This Morning when i woke up the 700 has been charged up for 2 days now this phone appear to be frightening close to 009,it has now much more air and the darkness wich i described earlier is gone.I think you can hear now a wider scale the 700 goes deeper than 009 and the highs are almost invisible no piercing highs very articulated and the feeling that's a closed phone disappeared.Liquidness has also increased this is excellent phone one of the best i have heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back