The Stax Thread III
Oct 13, 2015 at 2:08 PM Post #6,466 of 25,678
Another rather obvious solution for anyone who doesn't have or can't afford high-end electronics, and those who do, for that matter: a free parametric equalizer can do far more to change the sound, though it may not be as refined as the type of changes brought about by high-end amps, DACs, and so on. EQ is essential if you want a frequency response as close to neutral as possible. A few guides:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/413900/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-a-tutorial
http://www.head-fi.org/t/587703/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-a-tutorial-part-2
http://www.head-fi.org/t/615417/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-advanced-tutorial-in-progress

Also, here are some modifications, for those who haven't seen them:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/754839/stax-sr-009-and-sr-007-mk1-earpad-diy-mods

http://www.head-fi.org/t/744839/damping-mechanical-resonance-distortion-of-stax-and-other-phones-with-sorbothane-and-other-materials

Oct 13, 2015 at 6:11 PM Post #6,468 of 25,678

Yup, almost always referred to as Delta-Sigma.

...Ya know, I get the feeling that most STAX fans here aren't into extreme metal like I am (for the record, I love nearly all music)...because all this talk about electronics to mitigate harshness and so on is a moot point when the music itself is harsh.
biggrin.gif

Funny thing is, I always felt that STAX excelled at the uncanny task of reaching deep into the heart of recordings while at the same time giving a better sense of just how good the recordings really are. (Recordings I thought were harsher based on hearing them in the past on inferior headphones, I mean.) And this is using entry-level amplification connected directly to my laptop! I'm sure the SR-009 and SR-007 on TOTL systems will be on an entirely different level. As you surely know by now, I ultimately don't care what it costs to get ultimate sound, so I am by no means trying to downplay the importance of high-end components...but it's still very nice to get such great experiences even with affordable electrostatic equipment.

Oh, finally someone who loves Metal music and has experience with various Stax models. I'm planning to get the 007 since I was told it pairs well with Metal music. can you confirm that? What do you think about it?

Best, Pete

Oct 13, 2015 at 6:59 PM Post #6,469 of 25,678
  Has anyone got news of these anywhere.

http://www.fujiya-avic.jp/blog/?p=20418

Can't find much, are they for Japanese market and different voltage to the UK?

We've only been talking about it in this thread since the beginning of the month.
biggrin.gif

The release date is October 23rd. PriceJapan.com is selling them now. The headphones work with any Pro bias electrostatic amps. As for the amp, I believe its voltage is determined by where you get it from. You'll probably want to get a voltage transformer to safely use it in your country.

Oh, finally someone who loves Metal music and has experience with various Stax models. I'm planning to get the 007 since I was told it pairs well with Metal music. can you confirm that? What do you think about it?

Best, Pete

http://www.head-fi.org/t/715478/headphones-for-metal-music-ultimate-solution

Personally I'm more interested in the SR-009, but want the SR-007 too.

Oct 13, 2015 at 11:19 PM Post #6,470 of 25,678
Is the SRM-353X much better than the SRM-323S? For an SR-009, in case that matters.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Also, I don't know the appropriate thread to ask this, but is there a thread where people post images of their PC+audio gear and how they've set it up on a desk? I'm definitely gonna need to get new desk(s) for my incoming audio equipment, so examples would help.

My apologies for the off-topic question.

Oct 14, 2015 at 12:40 AM Post #6,471 of 25,678
Practically nobody has even heard the 353X yet, but I wouldn't bet on it. The 009 deserves a far better amp than what Stax stuffs into those little boxes and prices.

And as for 007 pairing relatively better with metal -- well I've seen just that one person's opinion / preference. I'd hazard that most who prefer the 009 over 007 prefer it for all genres of music, myself included. I certainly don't find the 007 MK I relatively better in any particular genre. The 007 does improve a WHOLE lot across the board if you get to the BHSE or DIY T2 level. We'll see how it does with the Carbon, but I'm way more interested in the 009 pairing.

Oct 14, 2015 at 7:24 AM Post #6,474 of 25,678
  IMO, the 007s slightly fuller tone is more enjoyable with metal. It just gives more weight and body to the guitars. 

IMO the 007 was designed to mask bright front ends and DACs (the mass market situation). Also the Stax amps are bright / thin / cold with the 009s and Lambdas, less with the 007s.
To get the best from the 007 IMO it needs a smoother and more lively amp (more juice, better parts count). Then it opens up a LOT. I enjoy the 007A with a KGSShv.
TBH the 009 and the 007A have positives. But the killer blow with the 009 is pace, detail and soundstage width. The 007 for all it's warm and fuller (I would say tubbier) bass
it mask the inner truth too much and sound to slow in comparison. It does have enough great points to keep on owning it, just not in the top tier IMO.

The 009 requires a really good source and a better amp than Stax can provide. It them leaves the Planars in the dust IMO.

Oct 14, 2015 at 8:52 AM Post #6,475 of 25,678
If you listen along the line of Stax headphones they walk a line between clarity and warmth. Leaving out the electrets, early on in the Normal line (e.g. SR-3) you hear a nice balance between clarity and warmth. Later with the Lambdas they went for thinner diaphragms, and incidentally greater clarity. Some perceived this as 'etch' and so then they seemingly backpedaled on the Nova and early Omegas, including the 007. Later in the line you can hear them striking a better balance, to my ears the 404 (in particular the LE) is the pinnacle. The 404LE and SRM-600LE is an extraordinary combination, probably the best for general listening if I had to pick. The 007 and Nova are the warmest, artificially so in my opinion, almost like a dynamic. 

This leaves out the 4070, Sigma and 009 (and T2) which are in classes by themselves. The 009 is of course remarkable, but I still haven't found how to tame it quite. 

Edit: I should say, the 007mk1 (Carbon Box) is even more warm and 'flobby' compared to the 007mk2, and you hear the same in the Lambda line. So again you can hear them trying to strike a balance between clarity and warmth and is supportive of that timeline. With the modern Lambdas and the 009 you hear a new factor being introduced which is energy, or 'oohm-pah'. Don't know what they did that enabled this, probably the diaphragm coating and tension, but the modern phones are less refined than the older. It could also be aging, I'm not sure, as my older phones were obviously used. One bit in support of this theory is that I did get a NOS 404 Signature, which also has that ooh-pah character to a lesser degree. So it could also be that Stax headphones relax and refine as they get older, not sure. 

Oct 14, 2015 at 9:16 AM Post #6,476 of 25,678

This leaves out the 4070, Sigma and 009 (and T2) which are in classes by themselves. The 009 is of course remarkable, but I still haven't found how to tame it quite. 

What DAC are you using? What amplifier? The 009 is very transparent, and gives everything anyone could want IMO BUT it requires a rock solid (read smooth) front and, it you will suffer the consequences. To me, it is only delivering what it in the source, plain and in your face. It is a bit like listening to 100K speaker near field - load. Sounds amazing till the source let you know where the warts are....

Back to Stax amps, (wish we didn't have to) but anyway, I noticed a change in timbre and dynamics as the volume was advanced on both my 007s and my 009s with both my SRM-323 and SRM-717. It says to me that the power reserve and voltage swing is suffering. The whole design is built to a budget IMO and strangling the phones. I don't see any Stax amps avoiding that IMO, old or current (apart the T2 - which I haven't heard, but am trusting those who have).

Oct 14, 2015 at 9:31 AM Post #6,477 of 25,678
  What DAC are you using? 

A great variety, including vintage Stax CDP's. I hear little differences in DAC's, compared to easily heard characteristics of amps and headphones. 

What amplifier?

amplifiers, basically almost every one Stax made, and most of the Mafia (still finishing the T2 and haven't started the Carbon yet). 

The 009 is very transparent, and gives everything anyone could want IMO BUT it requires a rock solid (read smooth) front and, it you will suffer the consequences. To me, it is only delivering what it in the source, plain and in your face. It is a bit like listening to 100K speaker near field - load. Sounds amazing till the source let you know where the warts are....

For absolute transparency the Lambda Signatures (several around that vintage) reign supreme. The 009 brings in dynamics and 3D holographic projection. 

Back to Stax amps, (wish we didn't have to) but anyway, I noticed a change in timbre and dynamics as the volume was advanced on both my 007s and my 009s with both my SRM-323 and SRM-717. It says to me that the power reserve and voltage swing is suffering. The whole design is built to a budget IMO and strangling the phones. 

The 717 is an interesting beast, the least Staxen of them all. A hybrid Mafia-Stax design and has characteristics of both, probably from the Stax PS and Mafia front end. The 323 is pure modern Stax. 

I don't see any Stax amps avoiding that IMO, old or current (apart the T2 - which I haven't heard, but am trusting those who have).

The 600 AFAI can tell, and most of the amps with Normal headphones. I get the feeling that Stax never quite transitioned their amps from Normal to to Pro in terms of drive. It's highly source dependent though so am still forming an opinion on this. 

This discussion highlights why I scoff at Sennheiser making a 'stat. Who cares? They've got what, 2 or 3 of them now? All one offs. Stax has been researching and doing this for 70 years. 

Oct 14, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #6,478 of 25,678

A great variety, including vintage Stax CDP's. I hear little differences in DAC's, compared to easily heard characteristics of amps and headphones. 

I disagree. Many do as well, some don't. It comes down to exposure to higher end DACs or R-2R IMO. DS mid range do I agree sound the same i. 'hifi' cold and harsh ( IMO).

Ask the Yggy guys or TotalDAC over on the other threads, see what they think about how good (better) a DAC can sound and the affect on the final music you hear.

IMO the DAC + The Amplifier + The Phones all affect the sound in equal measure. The DAC has a huge influence on treble quality and soundstage, dynamics. In fact anything that is relevant to an amplifier also applies to a DAC, because basically a DAC is a pre-amplifier with a digital board added. The problem is many manufacturers don't get it, they design a half decent digital board with pathetically weak gain stage and poor power supplies. We all know how that affects the sound.....

Oct 14, 2015 at 10:55 AM Post #6,479 of 25,678
  If you listen along the line of Stax headphones they walk a line between clarity and warmth. Leaving out the electrets, early on in the Normal line (e.g. SR-3) you hear a nice balance between clarity and warmth. Later with the Lambdas they went for thinner diaphragms, and incidentally greater clarity. Some perceived this as 'etch' and so then they seemingly backpedaled on the Nova and early Omegas, including the 007. Later in the line you can hear them striking a better balance, to my ears the 404 (in particular the LE) is the pinnacle. The 404LE and SRM-600LE is an extraordinary combination, probably the best for general listening if I had to pick. The 007 and Nova are the warmest, artificially so in my opinion, almost like a dynamic. 

Edit: I should say, the 007mk1 (Carbon Box) is even more warm and 'flobby' compared to the 007mk2, and you hear the same in the Lambda line. So again you can hear them trying to strike a balance between clarity and warmth and is supportive of that timeline. With the modern Lambdas and the 009 you hear a new factor being introduced which is energy, or 'oohm-pah'. Don't know what they did that enabled this, probably the diaphragm coating and tension, but the modern phones are less refined than the older. It could also be aging, I'm not sure, as my older phones were obviously used. One bit in support of this theory is that I did get a NOS 404 Signature, which also has that ooh-pah character to a lesser degree. So it could also be that Stax headphones relax and refine as they get older, not sure. 

If you hear the 007 mk1 as flobby, then you aren't driving them well... even with the 717 I have here, they sound very good. With a modified 717/727/007T or even better they sound fantastic and better than the 009 to my ears. Both headphones are great with fantastic detail and refinement, but the 007 is just more involving IMO. 

Oct 14, 2015 at 11:13 AM Post #6,480 of 25,678

If you hear the 007 mk1 as flobby, then you aren't driving them well... even with the 717 I have here, they sound very good. With a modified 717/727/007T or even better they sound fantastic and better than the 009 to my ears. Both headphones are great with fantastic detail and refinement, but the 007 is just more involving IMO. 

I was saying flabby in the bass. By that I mean (driven by my KGSShv) as slight bass bloat and hump, I guess around 80-120hz. Listen to the speed and texture of the bass in the 009. It is ruler flat to me, more texture and more tuneful. The 007 is lethargic and laboured compared. In isolation, the 007A sounds great on my KGSShv I agree. It is just the 009 has more transparency in the bass, along with texture. If we go into the midrange and treble it is the same.

I am convinced (I won't be swayed) that the 007 was designed around the DAC sound of the 1990-2000 era. The majority of DS DACs in use from that era are slightly bright and digital sounding. The 007 pulls them back to neutral and a warmer stance. But with a smooth and transparent DAC it is another layer in the way to me.

Anyway, it is great to have so many different views here. IMO it is taste, but also system synergy, as as you go up the levels the signature of each component gets more important and has more impact. The 007 is at a lower level than the 009 i.e. less resolving and less of everything - except the bass hump...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back