The Stax Thread III
Apr 8, 2015 at 8:18 AM Post #5,011 of 25,560
Hi,

I've a 2nd hand SRM 727A to run a new SR-007A. I bought a very nice neotech AG/AU wires and  some good XLR oyaide connectos to do my own XLR interconnector from DAC to SRM 727A.  But before of that.. 

Do I build a regular pair of XLR intereconnectos to run the 727A, or do I solder  a side of the cables to the amplifier?.  In case soldering to the amplifier is a better idea, where to do, in the large black cable to goes to the board, or directly I solder into the board?.

Thanks!.

Apr 12, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #5,015 of 25,560
What kind of transformer? Woo audio WEE perhaps?
I use WEE also
smily_headphones1.gif

I just said it was Stax. 

Apr 12, 2015 at 4:28 PM Post #5,017 of 25,560
As far as I know, there's no such thing as a "Stax transformer Amp" in the usual way one thinks of amplifiers. What is being referred to here is the SRD "energizer", which is simply a step-up transformer with a bias source. Same as your WEE.

The "energizer" assumes the character of whatever amplifier is driving it, only with a rolled off frequency response and the resolution of the driving amplifier knocked down a notch.

It was built as a cheap way to get around the need for a dedicated electrostatic amp.  The Japanese are capable of building superb transformers ( Tango Tamura), they certainly didn't do it here.

I keep one because it's fun to try out different speaker amps with electrostatic headphones. Want to see what your 200W home theater amp or your vintage McIntosh sounds like with your Stax?  The "energizer" is the answer.

Apr 12, 2015 at 8:14 PM Post #5,019 of 25,560
actually stax did make a transformer amp I don't remember the model number at the moment.

it was a chip amp driving a transformer.

it was awful.

Apr 13, 2015 at 1:58 AM Post #5,021 of 25,560
  I'm not of a fan of energizers, at least not the Woo Wee

yes, i also think that the energizers is a "bottle neck" to stax capability (maybe)
but what is wrong with the WEE? is there another better energizers?

As far as I know, there's no such thing as a "Stax transformer Amp" in the usual way one thinks of amplifiers. What is being referred to here is the SRD "energizer", which is simply a step-up transformer with a bias source. Same as your WEE.

The "energizer" assumes the character of whatever amplifier is driving it, only with a rolled off frequency response and the resolution of the driving amplifier knocked down a notch.

It was built as a cheap way to get around the need for a dedicated electrostatic amp.  The Japanese are capable of building superb transformers ( Tango Tamura), they certainly didn't do it here.

I keep one because it's fun to try out different speaker amps with electrostatic headphones. Want to see what your 200W home theater amp or your vintage McIntosh sounds like with your Stax?  The "energizer" is the answer.

what if i use WEE to drive stax007mk2 with "high end" home audio amp? like Karan acoustic KA M 2000 (plus preamp robert koda Takumi K-10)
i am affraid if the power from the amp is too big for stax to handle and broke the headphone.. ?

Apr 13, 2015 at 6:42 AM Post #5,022 of 25,560
Yeah, that can happen, which is why many vintage Stax sets have holes in the diaphragm. But that's mainly from people being careless, you won't damage the headphone as long as you are careful with the volume control.

Apr 16, 2015 at 8:40 PM Post #5,024 of 25,560

yes, i also think that the energizers is a "bottle neck" to stax capability (maybe)
but what is wrong with the WEE? is there another better energizers?

what if i use WEE to drive stax007mk2 with "high end" home audio amp? like Karan acoustic KA M 2000 (plus preamp robert koda Takumi K-10)
i am affraid if the power from the amp is too big for stax to handle and broke the headphone.. ?

Just my experience - had the Stax hi-bias jobbie (SRD-7?) and tried it with both a really smooth Dynaco Stereo 70, modified, with a set of original Mullards, as well as a high-ish end SS amp, and the SRM-007Tii handily bested it.  Really, unless you want to spring for a BH, there's no point in spending more on an amp than the Stax four-tube model.  It also bested an original KGSS (not HV) for all but the most dynamic recordings, easily besting it for low level detail in classical and softer jazz.  Still using it, as there is a limit to how much I want to spend on headphones.  YMMV, especially if you like things really LOUD.

Apr 17, 2015 at 2:02 AM Post #5,025 of 25,560

Just my experience - had the Stax hi-bias jobbie (SRD-7?) and tried it with both a really smooth Dynaco Stereo 70, modified, with a set of original Mullards, as well as a high-ish end SS amp, and the SRM-007Tii handily bested it.  Really, unless you want to spring for a BH, there's no point in spending more on an amp than the Stax four-tube model.  It also bested an original KGSS (not HV) for all but the most dynamic recordings, easily besting it for low level detail in classical and softer jazz.  Still using it, as there is a limit to how much I want to spend on headphones.  YMMV, especially if you like things really LOUD.

i am hearing at normal volume level :)

but, in my country it is so hard to find stax amplifier, and in my place, high end home audio is very popular (i joined in very high and home audio community), thats why i can try a lot high end amplifier. and if it possible, i would try it connect to stax :) but i am affraid if the power is too much to stax to handle

also i am VERY curious what sound stax can produce with more than 75,000$ setup include cables
just curious :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back