The Stax Thread III
Dec 28, 2014 at 5:34 PM Post #4,051 of 25,535
Few realize that the changes described between the "old" and "new" 009 _may_ also be caused by slightly different ear pad materials (leather, pleather, foam) as a result of a possible change in sourcing. This would more plausible then a latent diaphragm or driver change. I definitely hear differences between the old (softer) and new 007 pads, the 007 Mk II pads, and the (new?) 009 pads. Bass, treble, midrange - all can change.

It is also possible there are small manufacturing shifts, and few people can check many 009's in the same conditions in order to verify manufacturing tolerances. Now that number is rising, and we see the same phenomenon like with the alleged HD800 differences (there too, the most criticised area, the treble was claimed to be addressed), but whether this is random, or a tendency, could not be determined with the HD800, and I bet it will be the case with the 009 as well. But at least now we have one more variable to handle in testimonies coming from various sources.

You may be correct here. My experiments with sorbethane show that even adding a bit of this for damping can give notable changes in sound. I would expect that even minor construction changes could cause detectable sound changes.

Dec 30, 2014 at 5:05 AM Post #4,053 of 25,535
Talking about earpads... Does anybody know why the open cell foam of the old style lambda series earpads disintegrates over time? More specifically, does it happen somehow in relation to the usage (bacteria taken from the scalp or something...), or it disintegrates just as well by just sitting in the box without having ever been used? I want to buy a pair of old style replacement pads (they just sound better to my ears) and I was wondering if buying 2 pairs would make sense or I would risk finding the second pair, several years from now, sitting in its box with the foam all rotten?

I would appreciate any info on this. Thanks!

Dec 30, 2014 at 5:35 AM Post #4,054 of 25,535
The only thing I can say about the deterioration of the foam like earpads in the Lambda or Sigmas is that these headphones are well over 35 years in age. If I am not mistaken the Lambdas and the Sigmas started in the late 1970s. I think the deteriortion is just the natural decay of the materials used. It is unrealistic to think that they should survive for so long in their original condition.

Dec 30, 2014 at 8:08 AM Post #4,055 of 25,535
I think it is likely that the thin walls or pipes forming the foam structure become brittle over time and therefore collapse under the slightest pressure during use. So while you could use old foam that still looks like new, I think the foam would probably disintegrate immediately when you start using it. Storing it in the dark and in a constant climate would probably help in preserving it.

Dec 30, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #4,056 of 25,535
  Talking about earpads... Does anybody know why the open cell foam of the old style lambda series earpads disintegrates over time? More specifically, does it happen somehow in relation to the usage (bacteria taken from the scalp or something...), or it disintegrates just as well by just sitting in the box without having ever been used? I want to buy a pair of old style replacement pads (they just sound better to my ears) and I was wondering if buying 2 pairs would make sense or I would risk finding the second pair, several years from now, sitting in its box with the foam all rotten?

I would appreciate any info on this. Thanks!

Yes they will crumble over time although a bit slower. No big deal as long as debris does not get into the driver (you can gently blow those  off the dust cover)

Dec 30, 2014 at 5:48 PM Post #4,057 of 25,535
  The only thing I can say about the deterioration of the foam like earpads in the Lambda or Sigmas is that these headphones are well over 35 years in age. If I am not mistaken the Lambdas and the Sigmas started in the late 1970s. I think the deteriortion is just the natural decay of the materials used. It is unrealistic to think that they should survive for so long in their original condition.

No, of course, but it already happened twice for me in less than 10 years (since I bought my (new) SR-303).

I think it is likely that the thin walls or pipes forming the foam structure become brittle over time and therefore collapse under the slightest pressure during use. So while you could use old foam that still looks like new, I think the foam would probably disintegrate immediately when you start using it. Storing it in the dark and in a constant climate would probably help in preserving it.

That's what I think too. Except for the last part, because I've been storing a pair of (used, but with the foam in good condition initially) earpads for a couple of years in their box only to find them with the foam crumbled a few weeks ago when I needed to use them as replacements. Dark and constant climate and all.

Yes they will crumble over time although a bit slower. No big deal as long as debris does not get into the driver (you can gently blow those  off the dust cover)

That was my experience indeed. I was just hoping that maybe with a never used pair of pads things would turn out differently. So I'll just buy a single pair of old style pads (they are NOS, so this is probably going to be the last time I find them available anywhere) and resign myself to the inevitable hunt for the replacing foam 4 or 5 years from now (or finding another material that would sound just as well - rather unlikely, I've already tried a few with no success; I dislike Stax' own woven cloth replacement, it's acoustically less transparent). As many have already stated, the pads make a very significant sound difference in my experience too. IMO, YMMV and all.

Well, thank you all for your help!

Dec 31, 2014 at 1:52 AM Post #4,058 of 25,535
Hello SROO7 MK2 owners

I personally was satisfied after I got my Pawel HP-1. This Unit makes a bigger difference than every amp I own.

Regards Georg

Jan 1, 2015 at 2:16 PM Post #4,061 of 25,535
I received my 009s a few days before Christmas. I am using an Auralic Vega DAC and a modded Stax 727ii amp. I could not be happier! Maybe I'll get a tube amp in the future, but it feels like a very low priority right now. I feel so lucky to have this setup. Truly wonderful.

Jan 1, 2015 at 4:39 PM Post #4,062 of 25,535
I received my 009s a few days before Christmas. I am using an Auralic Vega DAC and a modded Stax 727ii amp. I could not be happier! Maybe I'll get a tube amp in the future, but it feels like a very low priority right now. I feel so lucky to have this setup. Truly wonderful.

Recommendations to buy a better amp coming in 3...2...1 :D

Don't worry about them, enjoy your new toy and congrats on your purchase! Happy new year

Jan 1, 2015 at 7:58 PM Post #4,063 of 25,535
Hello,

So after months of thinking over it, I have decided to go with the 009 over the HD800.
From the beginning the amp wad my issue as I can only get stock Stax amps at the moment. But I decided to go for it and upgrade the amp whenever it is easier, or I become ok with the pain of getting a better amp.

So the question remains, what is the better stax stock amp to get? Is there any consensus?
I will also have to investigate the source, but there are more choices there, so that is a question for later.

Cheers,
Cedric

Jan 1, 2015 at 8:28 PM Post #4,064 of 25,535
Hello,

So after months of thinking over it, I have decided to go with the 009 over the HD800.
From the beginning the amp wad my issue as I can only get stock Stax amps at the moment. But I decided to go for it and upgrade the amp whenever it is easier, or I become ok with the pain of getting a better amp.

So the question remains, what is the better stax stock amp to get? Is there any consensus?
I will also have to investigate the source, but there are more choices there, so that is a question for later.

Cheers,
Cedric

Consensus: Modded 727 (or stock 717), else the 323

Jan 1, 2015 at 9:02 PM Post #4,065 of 25,535
Consensus: Modded 727 (or stock 717), else the 323

Thank you,
Modded is not an option either for me, so I guess it should be the 323 until I decide how to proceed, which will also make it less painful to just replace few months down the line as it is rather cheap (for an amp used with top of the line headphones ).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back