The Stax Thread III
Nov 24, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #3,721 of 25,536
  I often read posts that the 009s are bass-light. On the evidence of my comparison session, I'd say that the 009s are bass-right, in that every other headphone I tried after, including the Abyss, sounded slightly bass-obvious, with varying degrees of bass bloat/boom.
So although I'd still prefer the 009s to slightly tilt the bass upwards (and treble slightly downwards), what bass they did produce was unparalleled in terms of transparency, texture and timbre.

On the KGSSHV, I certainly don't think the SR-009s are bass light. In fact I am impressed by the bass attack and quality, all while staying very neutral in the bass region. With the KGSSHV/Theta, I prefer the SR-009 treble response just as it is - I think it's spot on. Even with bright recordings. With the PWD2 newer firmwares - I could do with a bit less, but I have a good idea about the culprit here. 

Regarding the Abyss... I fully agree regarding the awkwardness of the fitting mechanism. However I am not convinced that the McIntosh amplifier is in the BHSE (or KGSSHV) league. I actually slightly preferred the Abyss on the Bryston amplifier which seemed to give a more neutral/correct response. I would see them as a good complement to the 009s for anyone who doesn't have to worry about funds. :)

Nov 24, 2014 at 10:25 AM Post #3,722 of 25,536
Zolkis - That is great info, thanks a lot for posting all of that!  I am going to try and 507's and see what happens.  My 323s is also brand new.  Maybe that needs some break in time?  This setup is really only for secondary listening, as I am an analog with speakers type of guy.  Just looking for something on those occasions where I cannot use the main system.

Nov 24, 2014 at 10:45 AM Post #3,724 of 25,536
  I recently compared an excellent Cavalli 2T electrostatic amp with 009's to my dynamic setup, (LCD-3s / Eddie Current 445 with EML mesh plate tubes).  The electrostatics sounded very clear, more detailed, and more spacious, but not as dramatic and "emotional" as the dynamic setup.  So I'm curious is anyone has the impression that the SR009 or electrostatics in general are somewhat flat in overall response?  Maybe the difference is in the mesh tubes which are known drama queens!

So the 445 has enough juice for the LCD-3s?  I was thinking they would be better with a SS amp a la Ragg..

Nov 24, 2014 at 10:47 AM Post #3,725 of 25,536
  I recently compared an excellent Cavalli 2T electrostatic amp with 009's to my dynamic setup, (LCD-3s / Eddie Current 445 with EML mesh plate tubes).  The electrostatics sounded very clear, more detailed, and more spacious, but not as dramatic and "emotional" as the dynamic setup.  So I'm curious is anyone has the impression that the SR009 or electrostatics in general are somewhat flat in overall response?  Maybe the difference is in the mesh tubes which are known drama queens!

How do you define "dramatic" and "emotional"?

Nov 24, 2014 at 12:01 PM Post #3,726 of 25,536
  Interesting how we've had a whole spate of posts saying they prefer the 007s over the 009s. Made me smile in a wry sort of way.

I've held onto my 007s (now with BHSE) for years since the 009s were announced - primarily because of my aversion to over bright recordings.
I don't go in for different headphones for different occasions. I want one headphone for all occasions.

A few weeks ago I succumbed and a booked an entire half day at highendheadphones' showroom where I was was able to compare the two at my leisure with my BHSE and the shop's pretty decent Bryston CDP and DAC. Apart from the fact I still prefer the 007's overall tonal balance (Dark has always been the new Black for me), I felt the 009s won on every single other parameter I could think of. And that included some difficult tracks (eg close miked female vocals bordering on sibilance) that I thought might trouble the 009s.

So I've ordered the 009s, to be delivered next month. Time will tell if the 3-week rule mentioned above will apply to me. As has already been mentioned, a lot depends on source synergy and IMO just about every cable and tweaky thingy in between.

Incidentally, while I had all the high end dynamic headphones at my disposal, at the end of the Stax comparison I did a quick round robin try of Abyss, LCD3. HE6, HD800 and new kid that sounds something like Obravo. All driven by the McIntosh headamp and an unidentified CDP. It was only a quick check for fun, but none of these other headphones caused me to question my long term electrostatic choice. Of these, the Abyss came closest to challenging the BHSE/009s on SQ, but I'd never buy something that looks like a medieval instrument of torture. The Obravos were very disappointing in this company

I listened to the Abyss and found it mediocre. Nice bass and huge, open staging but the treble was way off. Also, the fit was among the worst I've ever experienced. The company should be ashamed of that headphone. 

Nov 24, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #3,727 of 25,536

On the KGSSHV, I certainly don't think the SR-009s are bass light. In fact I am impressed by the bass attack and quality, all while staying very neutral in the bass region. With the KGSSHV/Theta, I prefer the SR-009 treble response just as it is - I think it's spot on. Even with bright recordings. With the PWD2 newer firmwares - I could do with a bit less, but I have a good idea about the culprit here. 

Agreed.....sr009's bass on the KGSSHV is phenomenal....

Nov 24, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #3,728 of 25,536

So the 445 has enough juice for the LCD-3s?  I was thinking they would be better with a SS amp a la Ragg..

It turns out the LCD-3 is relatively easy to drive and sounds fabulous with either the EC Balancing Act or EC 445.  The 445 was designed to drive speakers or headphones and is supposed to be especially good with HD800s which are difficult to drive.  

How do you define "dramatic" and "emotional"?

Yea . . . I wish I knew how to describe it.  It seems to be a kind of acceleration of tone or volume as if the musician were putting more emphasis and  drama into the performance.  Of course the recording is the same, it just sounds more dramatic and interesting on the dynamic setup.  Maybe that kind of sound comes from all tube amps like Eddie Current or as I said maybe with the EML Mesh Plate tubes.  I'm just wondering if others have noticed that difference with stats vs. dynamics.

Nov 24, 2014 at 12:52 PM Post #3,729 of 25,536
First time poster in the mighty Stax-thread so please be gentle
redface.gif
How does the older SRS 4040-II system compare to the newer SRS-4170 system? Is the older system still a viable option in the ~500€ range?

Nov 24, 2014 at 1:06 PM Post #3,730 of 25,536
First time poster in the mighty Stax-thread so please be gentle :xf_eek: .
How does the older SRS 4040-II system compare to the newer SRS-4170 system? Is the older system still a viable option in the ~500€ range?

I would prefer the old one and 500€ for Amp and Can? Take it right away, you can sell it anytime for that price.

Nov 24, 2014 at 2:54 PM Post #3,731 of 25,536
  Can anyone advise if the 007 Mk II would be a good e-stat can for metal? I have a KGST to pair with if that is of any help. Many have said the Mk I is superior in sound but I've also heard reliability issues with the cable connection at the ear cups so I don't want to spend a huge amount of money only for parts to fail several weeks/months down the road. Any advice/feedback is much appreciated!

Once again about 007 on metal )  Table wth marks on subgenres is here http://www.head-fi.org/t/715478/headphones-for-metal-music-ultimate-solution

Stax 007MK2
On non-metal genres I listened 007 on WES, on a meatal - KGSS. Alas, on both amplifiers there was a feeling that 007 are under-amplified. On non-metal genres with WES such a feeling perhaps even makes the certain flavour, that a right for existence. KGSS plays fast and powerful metal better, than WES, but... Impression that 007 can play better, much better does not leave me.

KGSS + 007 have well controlled, dense bass. Euphoric electrostatic air on  mids and highs is blown off a bit - welcome to solidstate amplification. Mids of 007 are a little more flat compared to 009. The soundstage is much less, than 009's scene. But, the most amusing - 007's minuses manage to turn to pluses on some genres. 

Joy:
Heavy Metal: If 009 were made as lethal weapon for progressive rock, 007 MK2 were created as hard rock lethal weapon. Add some more of "meat", "brutality" and even reduced soundstage (in comparison with 009) - everything in 007 sound signature develops in pluses on a genre, realizing outstanding result.
Doom: Somewhat unexpected. Strangely enough, even on going to an overload (hello, Monolord) 007 don't give in neither on density nor on power. The pure mids gives special, fauvorable for Doom flavour.
Sludge, Stoner: Genre is a mix of Doom and Heavy metal and so are results.
Alternative: Well. The vocal fascinates in an ordinary electrostatic manner. PRAT drives. The bass slam is more than enough for the genre. Above than "an average excellent".
Thrash: If cans are magnificent on vigorous rock, is it the reason to give them top marks for every rock-ish genre? On Thrash - definitely. Energy whips, speed impresses, detail level id striking, but not straining.

Grieve:
Black, Death, Grindcore: I listened 007 on Black for a long, I was thinking, I was looking for an answer on forum threads. What's the problem?, It seems like everything is accurate and balanced, technical abilities of 007 fit Black metal very well. But. Anyway. On Black, Death and Grindcore after couple of minutes of listening subconscious message doesn't allow to take full pleasure from music. A bass. Drums sound as if at peaks of signals sinusoidal tops are cut off plainly. Or in poles between "humps" of peaks of signals sand is filled up. Terribly unpleasant. The most probable reason for this - KGSS (not hv version) under-amplifies 007 MK2. At least on on fast extreme genres.
Power: No. Not enough of space for power-metal soul to take off. Too seriously it thumps, too heavy for a flight.
Progressive, Symphonic: Excessively heavy, especially on contrast with 009, there is no the wide and ringing emptiness, magical "nowhere" from which sounds of music appears. A closet - not a soundstage for Progressive and Symphonic metal.
Goth: Typically mediocre for vigorous cans. It is not a right time for and joyful run. It is better to sit and grieve in a cold of the night.

With a regret I has to note that if 009 on nonmetallic genres unambiguously make absolutely indelible impression, 007 on metal don't make such radical impression. Certainly 007 are among top of the top headphones, but they're not top of the top of the top )) I had no time for adaptation to 007 sound signature, couple of weeks is not enough? Perhaps. Not my sound? Possibly. But feelings from 009 listening were like "Wow...", from 007 it was more loke "Hmm, somehow something isn't perfect, it seems like cans XXX play it better". And even thus that as a rule XXX played at the similar level, but in a different way, 007 were by default considered as catching up...
Planning to try 007 later on more appropriate amplification.

Nov 24, 2014 at 9:25 PM Post #3,732 of 25,536
Arnaud, once you have both the 007 and 009, it's hard to argue. my point was that short term comparisons will always prefer the 009 since the brain takes longer time to adapt to the 007 (but once done, it's a new magic), so for me it's no wonder you prefer the 009. But spend 3 weeks with the 007 and bhse only and tell yourself what are you missing. Then 3 weeks only with the 009 and tell the final verdict
smily_headphones1.gif

I agree on the source point, but let's be honest, a tendency is a property in a practical context. I am one of those the treble haze (an overstatement per se) doesn't bother, and I agree it's remedied by source selection, but IMO it would be an overstatement as well to say the problem lies completely at the source.

I think we all agree the 009 has better potential, but needs a source more expensive than itself, and an amp of similar quality as the 007 needs anyway. The 007 needs special amps for its own limitations, but you can use a wider source range, ending up with third to quarter of total system cost, providing similar level of musical enjoyment if your brain adapts to it (at least by my theory, which may prove false).

I've had my SR-007 Mk1s for almost a year now and really love what they can do. They truly shine as some of the very best headphones I've heard. But in the end, the SR-009s are just a cut above to my ears. While I haven't heard the SR-007Mk1's on a BHSE (I own both the KGSSHV and LL2 and both sound truly excellent with both headphones), I have heard them on my friend's DIY T2.

In the end though, the solution was quite simple....both. 
wink.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 25, 2014 at 9:01 AM Post #3,733 of 25,536
Hello everyone,
Is it possible to add 1.4" jack to a stax amplifier so then one can compare a dynamic phone with electrostatic using the same amplifier. If yes, how do you mod your stax amplifier.
Thanks in advance

Nov 25, 2014 at 9:23 AM Post #3,734 of 25,536
  Hello everyone,
Is it possible to add 1.4" jack to a stax amplifier so then one can compare a dynamic phone with electrostatic using the same amplifier. If yes, how do you mod your stax amplifier.
Thanks in advance

NO!

Nov 25, 2014 at 6:18 PM Post #3,735 of 25,536

I've had my SR-007 Mk1s for almost a year now and really love what they can do. They truly shine as some of the very best headphones I've heard. But in the end, the SR-009s are just a cut above to my ears. While I haven't heard the SR-007Mk1's on a BHSE (I own both the KGSSHV and LL2 and both sound truly excellent with both headphones), I have heard them on my friend's DIY T2.
In the end though, the solution was quite simple....both. 
size]
size]

Thank you! Things are converging. I would be still interested to know that if all things made as equal as possible, how different is the 009 membrane from the 007.

I would like to ask you and Arnaud, negura and others who have both the 007 Mk1 and 009, could you please try the 009 pads on the 007?

For my part, I have ordered 009 replacement pads to try them on my 007 Mk1. I received them today, and spent a few hours with them. 

For the record, I have many pads for the 007: the original brown one, the black Mk2, a modified original brown with bigger opening and a bit shallower. The latter sounded more open than the rest. Based on dimensions, I expected the 009 pad improving in the same way. And it does...

The 009 pads are very easy to assemble on the 007. You don't need the spring any more (I tried with it as well but it sounds better without it), and for the duration of the experiment you can skip mounting the dust filter as well, so just put on the pads themselves, by aligning the edge of the mounting strip into the gap with a finger sliding through the perimeter from the inside opening. It took a few seconds for me. It fits very nicely on the 007, despite it's slightly bigger diameter than the 007 pads.

The good news is that the bass is maintained, the sound is more open and clear, and treble is better too. There is no hint of darkness in its sound any more. I was trying to get this kind of sound out of the 007 with my own built pads, and I am glad the stock 009 pads are even better, because it gives opportunity for more people to verify it. If I want to find some critical points, there is perhaps a little bit more prominent midrange now, but still sounds good and natural to my ears. Obviously the driver is still the same, so the musical resolution limit is still there compared to the 009, but from my memory the difference is smaller now.

At some point I may be able to compare directly with a 009, but if any of you is willing to take the burden of verifying this finding, it would be very helpful. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back