Nov 23, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #3,691 of 25,535
Thanks for that hint.
I have 3 Sigmas
One modified normal to pro
One Pro
One reworked pro I got in ebay with too much Wadding and modified cable

Regards Georg

Nov 23, 2014 at 4:41 PM Post #3,693 of 25,535
I have caught the stax virus..... No remedy for that! And worse i dont want to heal....He 400 hifiman

very well drive by the Ember amp are no match for the basic stax system lambda nova basic... I use the Ember pre amp function with the Smr-xh amp and its very good...
L3000.gif

Nov 23, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #3,694 of 25,535
  a 12V car battery

what do i need except the battery : cable etc.... Adaptor of what kind? in one word what do i need to know for that, i am not a stax scientist nor very informed about amp headphones etc....
smile_phones.gif
thanks for your time.......

Nov 23, 2014 at 5:53 PM Post #3,695 of 25,535
Quote:

More or less discordant with some of my former impressions, one of the most important factors in reproducing a natural timbre/tonality of the instrument is the source. There were times where I felt the SR-007s were closer to the natural sound of a violin or piano. With the Theta Gen V, the SR-009 are damn impressive realistic. More so than the SR-007s.

Nov 23, 2014 at 6:44 PM Post #3,696 of 25,535
More or less discordant with some of my former impressions, one of the most important factors in reproducing a natural timbre/tonality of the instrument is the source. 

You agree on that with Ivor Tiefenbrum of Linn and I also subscribe :) But is the Theta Gen V an absolute source? People could argue, and cite good sources "for" the 007 too. The question really comes down to everyone's most reasonable context, which is both subjective and cost sensitive. Given a "reasonable setup", I think most people would say the 009 reproduces piano better, with a considerable amount still preferring the 007, but I would bluntly say that neither of them is really that good as their hype would suggest. We just happen to have this choice at this point of time, but when new stats will come to strike a better compromise for our personal context, we will treat both the 009 and 007 closer to reality. And I don't think we'll soon get to the point we won't assemble our "dream" headphone from 2-3 other headphones, e.g. the bass of Audeze, the mids of Stax Omega and the treble of R10 - pick your own choices.

Back to the choice we have now, the question for me is similar to whether preferring higher lens resolution with some color fringing and coldish color balance to a tiny bit less resolution but more coherent lines with a slight sepia color shift. Or look elsewhere? Moving back to audio domain, our brain tries to correct both kinds of distortion, the slight treble haze of the 009, and the dark caramel sweetness of the 007. I think my brain corrects more easily the 007, at least for me, and with a wider range of sources, so that gets the gap somewhat narrower, but still leaving the dilemma of hard choice. The 007 Mk1 was good enough to convey a sense of realism that touched me the same way as the 009, it's twice cheaper, and I could further close the gap by making my own "voiced" ear pads. So far, so good. If the 009 costed $2K (used), that would be closer to the comparative reality, but for now I will agree the 009 is the better one in piano reproduction, at least it strikes a faster satisfaction curve, i.e. you like it more at the first hearing... But then you get unsure about it when you spend 3 weeks with them because the 007 grows on you. Funny thing, this high end audio: most of it is about our brain, which fools/satisfies us in different ways over time.

Nov 23, 2014 at 6:49 PM Post #3,697 of 25,535
I would not disagree that on a lot of nowadays sources, the SR-007s can sound more realistic. Hence, but not limited to, I own both headphones.
I am comparatively quite disappointed by some of those same sources on my speaker setup.

In particular it is the treble haze point where I agree with you. But I don't think it's a trait of the 009s, but more to do with the sources. Yet, yes the SR-009s are more resolute.

Nov 23, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #3,698 of 25,535
  I would not disagree that on a lot of nowadays sources, the SR-007s can sound more realistic. Hence, but not limited to, I own both headphones.
I am comparatively quite disappointed by some of those same sources on my speaker setup.

In particular it is the treble haze point where I agree with you. But I don't think it's a trait of the 009s, but more to do with the sources. Yet, yes the SR-009s are more resolute.

This. Especially the treble haze comment, that gets me pointing toward the source immediately.

007 is much more accommodating with regards to source and material sub-par quality, but requires serious amplification.

SR009 is driven more easily but can sound shrill if you don't pay attention the rest of the upstream gear (and to amplification to a lower extent imo). 

Having both the 007 and 009, there's no question which one is more resolved, and it's not a question of treble forwardness as some want to the paint the 009 like.

Listening to acoustic instruments / classical, 009 is my choice any day of the week, we'll see if the BHSE can reverse that trend...

Arnaud

Nov 23, 2014 at 8:50 PM Post #3,699 of 25,535

Every time I make a major upgrade to the system it seems the most immediate audible difference is in treble frequencies.  Maybe because the shorter wave lengths are no longer overlapping and blurred, but rather becoming more precise thus sounding louder - what we call brightness.  I think the 009's follow this pattern.  They sound bright but they also sound clearer, more distinct, with better separation in the mid-range and bass as well.  imho . . .

Nov 23, 2014 at 10:44 PM Post #3,700 of 25,535
Are the 507's a MUCH better match with the 323s compared to the SR-007 Mk.1's?  I have the 007/323s combo now, and while it is my first headphone rig, it is kind of lackluster.  Judging by the volume control it seems to be under powered.  Could I "downgrade" to the 507's at a much cheaper price and possibly increase the performance due to better amp matching?

Nov 24, 2014 at 2:04 AM Post #3,701 of 25,535
Vortrex, that depends on your perception of music, so you need to try that one out yourself. I would choose the 007, but I would understand why people would prefer the 507. Better spend the money on better amp, it's safer path to the future.

Nov 24, 2014 at 2:07 AM Post #3,702 of 25,535
Are the 507's a MUCH better match with the 323s compared to the SR-007 Mk.1's?  I have the 007/323s combo now, and while it is my first headphone rig, it is kind of lackluster.  Judging by the volume control it seems to be under powered.  Could I "downgrade" to the 507's at a much cheaper price and possibly increase the performance due to better amp matching?

Only if you like the more "modern" sound of the 507 (slightly boomy and zzzingly treble). Otherwise the 007 mk1 is king, but maybe you need to have owned more cans to appreciate it fully. Did you adjust the fit? That makes a huge difference with the O2.

Nov 24, 2014 at 2:26 AM Post #3,703 of 25,535
Arnaud, once you have both the 007 and 009, it's hard to argue. my point was that short term comparisons will always prefer the 009 since the brain takes longer time to adapt to the 007 (but once done, it's a new magic), so for me it's no wonder you prefer the 009. But spend 3 weeks with the 007 and bhse only and tell yourself what are you missing. Then 3 weeks only with the 009 and tell the final verdict :).

I agree on the source point, but let's be honest, a tendency is a property in a practical context. I am one of those the treble haze (an overstatement per se) doesn't bother, and I agree it's remedied by source selection, but IMO it would be an overstatement as well to say the problem lies completely at the source.

I think we all agree the 009 has better potential, but needs a source more expensive than itself, and an amp of similar quality as the 007 needs anyway. The 007 needs special amps for its own limitations, but you can use a wider source range, ending up with third to quarter of total system cost, providing similar level of musical enjoyment if your brain adapts to it (at least by my theory, which may prove false).

Nov 24, 2014 at 3:01 AM Post #3,704 of 25,535
With my BHSE I clearly prefer te 007MK1 to the 009 even though the new flagship will allways win on first comparison. But It is because of the suboptimal Tracks that I like to listen, when the music is great but the recording quality poor the older model is the winner overall. If I would just listen to audiophile music I reverse my choice. But keeping both seems waste to me even though that would be the kings choice.

Nov 24, 2014 at 5:05 AM Post #3,705 of 25,535
@zolkis and @cucera, time will tell as I am yet to hear the 007 at its full potential. I don't doubt it sounds good out of the BHSE given the number of people that prefer that combo to the sr009.
You're also probably right the 007 is a more cost effective plan when considering the quality of upstream gear.
In the end, it's pretty difficult to have a phone for all music genres and moods so I still think both phones are complementary rather than waste keeping both.
Cheers, arnaud

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back