The Stax Thread III
Aug 20, 2014 at 6:23 AM Post #2,956 of 25,678
Aug 20, 2014 at 6:19 PM Post #2,958 of 25,678
Thanks for the answers and info so far. 

One question I'm pondering is whether the adapter/energizers are neutral? In other words, do they reveal the character of the amp, or impart their own signature? Also, what sort of load do they present to valve/tube amps? 

As I mentioned in my first post, I'm considering an energizer as a budget solution to using my earspeakers in a second system.

Aug 20, 2014 at 6:55 PM Post #2,959 of 25,678
I'm joining the Stax Mafia with the SRS-3170 system. I can't wait! 
biggrin.gif

Aug 21, 2014 at 1:04 AM Post #2,963 of 25,678
Thanks, got it. In other news, someone told me that the 323S 240V version works if you just plug it into a North American power outlet. How is this at all possible?! Does it do any harm? I found instructions on an earlier Stax thread for resoldering a 323S for 120V, but I'm not 100% confident mucking around in a high-voltage device like an electrostatic amplifier. (Or I'd just jump into building a KGSSHV.)

Aug 21, 2014 at 6:00 AM Post #2,964 of 25,678
nope. However if its the 240v version then none of the wires on the transformer have been cut like
the 100v only versions, and then you re-wire it for 120v which is easy.

Aug 21, 2014 at 7:28 AM Post #2,965 of 25,678
Hi Kevin,

How do we quantify the performance of an electrostat amplifier? What unit of measurement should be used?

Also, as it is a seeming consensus that the SR-007 has greater amplification requirements, how do we measure this? It specifies the same 100dB / 100V r.m.s. 1 kHz and a lower capacitance relative to other models.

Regards.

Aug 21, 2014 at 8:45 AM Post #2,966 of 25,678
nope. However if its the 240v version then none of the wires on the transformer have been cut like
the 100v only versions, and then you re-wire it for 120v which is easy.

Thank you for your comment, Kevin, but I don't understand — do you mean "no, plugging the 240 V version into an American outlet won't work", or "no, it won't do any harm to plug the 240 V version into an American outlet"? If it's the latter, then I just don't understand how the amp could possibly work at all, as I have been assured (on another forum) it does.

Aug 21, 2014 at 9:06 AM Post #2,967 of 25,678
The + and -350 supplies will end up at +/-175  so it will make some music.
but the bias will be off, the voltage range will be off etc. Person obviously
has no clue.

Aug 22, 2014 at 6:32 AM Post #2,968 of 25,678
  Thanks for the answers and info so far. 

One question I'm pondering is whether the adapter/energizers are neutral? In other words, do they reveal the character of the amp, or impart their own signature? Also, what sort of load do they present to valve/tube amps? 

As I mentioned in my first post, I'm considering an energizer as a budget solution to using my earspeakers in a second system.

I tried an SRD-7 adapter on a number of different amps - tube and solid state- using SR-007 and Lambda Signature 'phones.  I did hear differences between the amplifiers. Kind of the same differences I heard from those amplifiers when driving speakers. 

Is the SRD-7 ALSO imparting a sonic character, in addition to what the amplifier brings to the party?  Yes, I would guess it does add some contribution to the sound.  Is an SRD-7 "more netural" than a Stax amp?  I don't know that you could really ever answer that. When I used the SRD-7 with a good amp, it sounded great.  That's all I could conclude.  My SRM-T1 sounds great too.  I think the T1 sounds a bit more "refined" than any of the amp-and-SRD-7 combos I tried, but I didn't do any blind A/B tests.

Aug 22, 2014 at 6:46 AM Post #2,969 of 25,678
  Hi Kevin,

How do we quantify the performance of an electrostat amplifier? What unit of measurement should be used?

Also, as it is a seeming consensus that the SR-007 has greater amplification requirements, how do we measure this? It specifies the same 100dB / 100V r.m.s. 1 kHz and a lower capacitance relative to other models.

Regards.

You don't need to measure it to be convinced, us your ears. Anyone who has heard the 007s against the 009s and even the 507s will hear it needs more current to sing. The design of the drivers in the 007 was the first real attempt IMHO where Stax addressed the 'rest of the world' taste for some real bass, as apposed to transparency only. Maybe this was partly why it needed more current? The 007s is a great headphone, it was possibly a problem for Stax that none of their amplifiers available to the real public (no T2) was really capable of doing it any justice. 

Aug 22, 2014 at 6:53 AM Post #2,970 of 25,678
  You don't need to measure it to be convinced, us your ears. Anyone who has heard the 007s against the 009s and even the 507s will hear it needs more current to sing. The design of the drivers in the 007 was the first real attempt IMHO where Stax addressed the 'rest of the world' taste for some real bass, as apposed to transparency only. Maybe this was partly why it needed more current? The 007s is a great headphone, it was possibly a problem for Stax that none of their amplifiers available to the real public (no T2) was really capable of doing it any justice. 

+1. Which is when Geoff stepped in.......
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back