The Stax Thread III
Jun 24, 2014 at 4:27 AM Post #2,613 of 25,541
Jun 25, 2014 at 2:29 AM Post #2,614 of 25,541
Does anyone know where I could get a male normal bias connector for recabling a pair of old lambdas?

Jun 25, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #2,615 of 25,541
  Does anyone know where I could get a male normal bias connector for recabling a pair of old lambdas?

Moon audio has them, http://www.moon-audio.com/stax-cable-mount-5-pin-din.html

If anyone knows the part number on this, I really really really want to know how to actually order them from a manufacturer! All the part numbers for both genders that were discussed some 3-5 years ago on various forums are all completely discontinued and unavailable.

Jun 26, 2014 at 9:43 AM Post #2,617 of 25,541
I just received my first Staxes, they are the Lambda Pro Classic with srm-xh.

(sorry for the s*tload of questions :wink: )

1. Are there any health concerns of using electrostatic headphones for a long time? I use my headphones (sorry, earspeakers!) for about 5-6 hours a day when I'm using my laptop
2. Is the Pro Classic different from the old Pro? I can't seem to find much about the Classic version.
3. The foam pads are gone, do they make any difference in sound? The earpads are ok as they were almost never used.
4. The SRM-Xh delivers 280V while the LPC are 580V, is it worthwile to upgrade to the SRM-1?

Jun 26, 2014 at 9:54 AM Post #2,618 of 25,541
The foam pad thing doesn't matter. Concerning health, we are exposed to high voltage static charges all the time.. Like when you get zapped.. Honestly I don't know..

Jun 27, 2014 at 5:30 AM Post #2,620 of 25,541

1. Are there any health concerns of using electrostatic headphones for a long time? I use my headphones (sorry, earspeakers!) for about 5-6 hours a day when I'm using my laptop
2. Is the Pro Classic different from the old Pro? I can't seem to find much about the Classic version.
3. The foam pads are gone, do they make any difference in sound? The earpads are ok as they were almost never used.
4. The SRM-Xh delivers 280V while the LPC are 580V, is it worthwile to upgrade to the SRM-1?

Yes there ARE health concerns! Be sure to MEASURE how loud you are listening! Good transducers tend to encourage louder listening than is good for your hearing.  Get a cheap SPL meter (Parts Express, Radio Shack, eBay) and MEASURE how loud the sound is at your preferred listening level. (i.e., put the headphones on and listen for a while, then adjust to a level that you dig.  Remove the headphones and put a sheet of cardboard with a hole cut in it flat against the earpad. Push the mic of the SPL meter through the hole a bit and check the reading.)

For 4~6 hours of listening, in my non-medical opinion, I believe you would be sure to avoid hearing damage listening no louder than 85 dB .
Here are some loudness/time facts to consider:

1. At 95 dB, damage will occur after four hours of exposure per day.
  2. At 100 dB, damage will occur after two hours of exposure per day.
  3. At 105 dB, damage will occur after one hour of exposure per day.
  4. At 110 dB, damage will occur after 30 minutes of exposure per day.
  5. At 115 dB, damage will occur after 15 minutes of exposure per day.
  6. At 120-plus dB, damage occurs almost immediately.

SEE http://medicine.stonybrookmedicine.edu/surgery/blog/headphones-and-earphones-can-cause-permanent-hearing-loss-what-you-need-to-know

Jun 27, 2014 at 7:12 AM Post #2,621 of 25,541

Only if you play them too loudly for extended periods
Don't use them with soaking wet hair
biggrin.gif

I think the one you are referring to an earlier entry level model and is supposedly less refined, but IMOE the difference is not that great
The foam helps to stop debris entering the driver chamber like hair, dandruff, ear wax etc. Providing the pads plump and seal well they should be ok
I think you may be confusing two things here. Is the 580v you refer to the Bias Voltage? The 280V I presume is the voltage swing of the SRM-Xh?

Jun 27, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #2,622 of 25,541
Well, according to Wikipedia:

SRM-Xh1997280V1x RCA1x Pro BiasSolid state

Wait a sec...bias voltage and output voltage are two different things?
eek.gif

I never listen to music on high levels ( unless it's Pink Floyd or Black Sabbath ) :D
I have to admit that on the 2nd day I have mixed feeling about the LPC and SRM-Xh, i find this combination a bit fatiguing.

The Pro Classic are from about 1994 but if they are the entry model it would be very confusing as the Pro was TOTL at the time.

Jun 27, 2014 at 2:03 PM Post #2,625 of 25,541
Do you prefer quite a forward sound, i.e. Grado style?
Yes the Lambdas are a bit laid back but I would say very easy to listen too.
The highs should be really extended, relatively smooth and shimmering, not grainy
The bass should be well textured but not prominent like many dynamics, so you might perceive them as a little lighter than some.

Have you tried them with a different source. I see you have a CD player I've personally no experience of.

Quote:
  Somehow recessed and laid back mids and grainy highs also not too much bass (btw - why do they have so much bass when you keep them about1cm from the ears?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back