Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › KOSS ESP-950 Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

KOSS ESP-950 Thread - Page 93

post #1381 of 2830
Quote:
Originally Posted by darinf View Post
 

I think the issue is not whether to have a balance control or not. the issue is that it's nearly impossible to adjust the volume without affecting the balance. As you know, the channel balance is very important and it's changed every time you adjust the volume.

 

Look at Stax amps. They have balance control, but you have to make an effort to adjust it. 

 

For the Koss amp, I either tape the two knobs together or I also have a white line on both knobs so at least I can visually line up the white lines to know that I am at equal output levels.

True enough -- one of the issues was the ergonomics of this particular concentric dual pot.  The comment I was objecting to was whether a balance control has any use in a headphone rig.  This is a seperate issue.  I am also not sure how accurately the 2 sections of the pot track each other, especially at the bottom end of their range, so I would "dot" the controls by ear, or by measuring output with a calibration signal...

post #1382 of 2830
Quote:
Originally Posted by n3rdling View Post
 

I just hold both parts of the knob between my thumb and index finger and never really have a problem adjusting volume without throwing balance out of whack.  Grip a little tighter than you normally do.


N3rdling, I've been meaning to ask you for awhile why you still keep the ESP950 around when you have such an impressive collection of arguably superior 'stats. Are you just a collector of sorts, or is there something special about them that appeals to you?

post #1383 of 2830

A couple of reasons:

- I like to collect stats

- It's really good for the price

- It sounds a bit different from most other stats

- Perhaps most importantly, the lifetime warranty makes this the ultimate stat for testing on amp builds.  If the amp blows the phones I can just send them in and I don't have to worry about ruining other headphones. :)

post #1384 of 2830

It's a long thread and the search is too vague......are there any other amp options for the Koss ESP-950, or do you have to replace the pin plug with one that fits Stax amps?

post #1385 of 2830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
 

It's a long thread and the search is too vague......are there any other amp options for the Koss ESP-950, or do you have to replace the pin plug with one that fits Stax amps?

I've been following this thread for awhile and I'm not aware of any other amp using the Koss cable plug.  You either have to replace the plug or buy an extension cable terminating with a Stax plug.  

post #1386 of 2830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddhahacker View Post
 

I've been following this thread for awhile and I'm not aware of any other amp using the Koss cable plug.  You either have to replace the plug or buy an extension cable terminating with a Stax plug.

 

Are there vendors that sell that exact sort of thing? I'm interested for sure.

post #1387 of 2830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddhahacker View Post
 

I've been following this thread for awhile and I'm not aware of any other amp using the Koss cable plug.  You either have to replace the plug or buy an extension cable terminating with a Stax plug.  

I don't think there are any other amps with the Koss 5 pin connector. But fortunately the bias voltage on the ESP-950's is close enough to the Stax pro bias that the ESP-950's work great with any Stax 5 pin amp. As @Buddhahacker said, all you need is to replace the plug or for the most compatibility, recable the extension cable with a Stax plug, or buy one already reterminated.

post #1388 of 2830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
 

 

Are there vendors that sell that exact sort of thing? I'm interested for sure.

The gentleman in the previous post sells the cables. The link is: 

 

 

https://fongaudio.com/store/default/headphones-16/headphones/koss-esp-950-to-stax-5-pin-adapter-cable.html

 

post #1389 of 2830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
 

 

Are there vendors that sell that exact sort of thing? I'm interested for sure.

 

You can make your own.  A spare extension cable is about $16 from Koss service.  Solder on this Stax-compatible connect from Moon audio and you're good to go:

 

http://www.moon-audio.com/stax-cable-mount-5-pin-din.html

post #1390 of 2830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddhahacker View Post
 

The gentleman in the previous post sells the cables. The link is:

 

 

https://fongaudio.com/store/default/headphones-16/headphones/koss-esp-950-to-stax-5-pin-adapter-cable.html

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilCox View Post
 

 

You can make your own.  A spare extension cable is about $16 from Koss service.  Solder on this Stax-compatible connect from Moon audio and you're good to go:

 

http://www.moon-audio.com/stax-cable-mount-5-pin-din.html

 

Err...thanks to both of you  I think I will go for the cable.

 

Hmmmm...

post #1391 of 2830

I just ordered the cable from Darin Fong Audio!

 

Then I will be able to go for Stax amp upgrades in the future.

post #1392 of 2830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
 

I just ordered the cable from Darin Fong Audio!

 

Then I will be able to go for Stax amp upgrades in the future.

Yep. That was what I did.  My solder sucking days are over.  I spent two summers as an engineering intern and most of it was spent designing and building one off test equipment.  I can't tell you how many hours I spent soldering during those summers.  The one positive outcome was it made me realize that I needed to change majors :smile:

post #1393 of 2830

Agree. I leave it to the professionals now....just haven't got the patience anymore. I remember back in the 80's, I used to dismantle Walkmans/tape decks, swaps heads, motors and the like. What a wuss I've become :D

post #1394 of 2830

other than the fact that he is using the male amphenol connector which

really isn't the right size and will eventually damage itself and the sockets

you plug it into...

 

I hope to be making some Teflon connectors with both the right pins and

the right spacing soon. Then send sample to china and have a bunch made

real cheap.


Edited by kevin gilmore - 6/15/14 at 12:01pm
post #1395 of 2830

This long silence that seems to represent a lack of suitable response is making me uneasy....

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › KOSS ESP-950 Thread