The Stax Thread III
Mar 8, 2014 at 3:45 AM Post #1,653 of 25,541
hmm, need to clarify something that I am ignorant of.
is there an issue of a 100v stax headphone driver or  240v driver that I should be concern about? like say it wont work or not optimised at 240v for 009 imported from japan?
or are they all the same
Was going to order a SR009 from price Japan btw. anyone?

Mar 8, 2014 at 4:14 AM Post #1,654 of 25,541
  hmm, need to clarify something that I am ignorant of.
is there an issue of a 100v stax headphone driver or  240v driver that I should be concern about? like say it wont work or not optimised at 240v for 009 imported from japan?
or are they all the same
Was going to order a SR009 from price Japan btw. anyone?

Many order from price japan but the wait is long

The earspeakers are the same, no issue. Ofc you can't use a 100v amp in a 240v socket.

Mar 8, 2014 at 6:45 AM Post #1,660 of 25,541
No other place to buy Stax from Japan that ships international other than PJ. There is another one Fujima store or however you spell it but I haven't seen them carry any of the TOTL model.

Mar 8, 2014 at 7:47 PM Post #1,662 of 25,541
You guys are way too harsh on the 307. I've been spending some time with it because my new (hopefully last) DAC came in today. Out of the KGSSHV I would say they deliver about 70% of the competency of the mk1s. The bass is a little bit anemic at low volumes and boomy at higher ones, and the treble isn't as accurate. The mids are also a bit sucked out, but I think this is probably the easiest of the problems to address if you run a tube amp like the Megatron. I suspect the lows and highs are a symptom of the frame and/or driver.

That being said, the last 30% is totally worth it, I won't front. But you could do way worse in dynamic headphones for the price point.

Mar 9, 2014 at 12:22 AM Post #1,663 of 25,541
  Many order from price japan but the wait is long

The earspeakers are the same, no issue. Ofc you can't use a 100v amp in a 240v socket.

alright, thanks for the info guys. Im just concerned about the headphone.
The wait is 3 months ive been told, that'll give me enough time to think which amp to go with in the meantime, which I hadn't decide just yet. 
I am actually looking to the upcoming high-end stax amp, its pretty elusive atm on what to expect.

Mar 9, 2014 at 6:10 AM Post #1,664 of 25,541
You know, after all the different headphones I've heard...the old stax lambda pros I picked up about a month or two ago probably sound more 'right' than any other.  I'm not saying they do everything better than other phones...they just sound like I expect music to sound.  Maybe what I'm used to from my youth?  either way, I'd recommend them over a lot of the current production phones, except maybe the hd600, those are a good bang for the buck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back