The Stax Thread III
Jan 12, 2014 at 8:35 PM Post #1,321 of 25,535
Maybe you were a little lucky and some of us were a little unlucky. At first I was thinking, oh okay this whole Stax thing is a pain in the butt and not worth it, I'm done. But the more I listened, the more I understood why some of the Stax "inconveniences" are worth putting up with. As for me, I decided to keep and hopely fix my slightly flawed amp (paired with the SR-303's that the seller upgraded me to as compensation).

When I hear about the issues some Head-Fi'ers  have had buying used Stax headphones, I have to count my blessings!  I never had any problems with any used Stax gear I bought.

USED STAX GEAR THAT I CURRENTLY HAVE   WORKS JUST FINE

SR-007 MK I
Lambda Pro Signature
SRM-T1

USED STAX GEAR THAT I ONCE HAD AND HAVE SINCE SOLD   WORKED JUST FINE

SR-007 MK 2.5
Lambda Pro
SR-7 Pro
SRM-1 MK 2  

I wonder- was I just pretty luck here-  or does most of the used stuff usually work OK, with the exceptions being headphones with crackling etc.??

Jan 13, 2014 at 5:32 AM Post #1,322 of 25,535
Hi Guys
I run an SRM-717 with my SR-007s Mk2.5s. BUT I have an Audio Note tubed pre-amp before the 717, so it is giving the 717 a big signal
before it gets going. By having the 717 at volume bypass it is working like a class A amp (full power).

I must say I don't find any compression or lack of bass. Running the Stax amp on it's own returns the sound to a thin and artificial cold
presentation with limited dynamics and sound stage.

This might help others who think they need an exotic tubed headphone amp? 

However, to get close to the full potential of either the 007s or the 009s, you need a very clean front end source. I found None
oversampling tubed based DACs like the Lampistor or the Audio Note DACs work best.

Jan 13, 2014 at 6:32 AM Post #1,323 of 25,535
  When I hear about the issues some Head-Fi'ers  have had buying used Stax headphones, I have to count my blessings!  I never had any problems with any used Stax gear I bought.

USED STAX GEAR THAT I CURRENTLY HAVE   WORKS JUST FINE

SR-007 MK I
Lambda Pro Signature
SRM-T1

USED STAX GEAR THAT I ONCE HAD AND HAVE SINCE SOLD   WORKED JUST FINE

SR-007 MK 2.5
Lambda Pro
SR-7 Pro
SRM-1 MK 2  

I wonder- was I just pretty luck here-  or does most of the used stuff usually work OK, with the exceptions being headphones with crackling etc.??

Maybe a little of both. Some of the gear we are discussing is pretty old.  Failures due to age are to be expected.  The good news is that the STAX gear in general has shown to be very robust.  

I've had similar good "luck".  I have one pair of Lambda Pro's that I believe needs a new cable, but otherwise I've had no significant issues with used STAX gear.  I can't imagine we're alone in getting gear without issues, it's just not the kind of thing that we write a lot about on the inter web.

I'm hoping my luck holds out, I've got some gear inbound, including a ED-1 that I hope is in good working condition.

Jan 13, 2014 at 6:37 AM Post #1,324 of 25,535
So you got that ed-1? I do remember some member who made a simulation of the ed-1 by the way. Kinda cool.

Jan 13, 2014 at 3:45 PM Post #1,325 of 25,535

Maybe a little of both. Some of the gear we are discussing is pretty old.  Failures due to age are to be expected.  The good news is that the STAX gear in general has shown to be very robust.  

I've had similar good "luck".  I have one pair of Lambda Pro's that I believe needs a new cable, but otherwise I've had no significant issues with used STAX gear.  I can't imagine we're alone in getting gear without issues, it's just not the kind of thing that we write a lot about on the inter web.

I'm hoping my luck holds out, I've got some gear inbound, including a ED-1 that I hope is in good working condition.

If it doesn't work be sure to break it apart and take nice pictures :) (maybe even if it's not broken)

Jan 14, 2014 at 3:10 AM Post #1,327 of 25,535
Try the ED-1 ans Check if you like it!

The HP1 has an extra binaural Mode which is quite spectacular. I can make you an Audio file to check

Regards Georg

Jan 14, 2014 at 10:36 AM Post #1,328 of 25,535
At last I have got everything together with the arrival of the LL2 yesterday and the 8PS today. 

At this juncture I am just letting both amplifiers and headphones some burn in and settling time, with the 007 and 009 plugged in the LL2 and PS8 respectively.

Will post thoughts later in the week on the two Stax headphones, and comparisons of the LL2 and 8PS.....

Jan 14, 2014 at 6:40 PM Post #1,329 of 25,535
How do you get a good seal with the 007s that loose? I've been trying to figure out how to properly loosen the headband so it fits but that looks a bit extreme. 

Jan 16, 2014 at 7:50 AM Post #1,331 of 25,535
At last I have got everything together with the arrival of the LL2 yesterday and the 8PS today. 

At this juncture I am just letting both amplifiers and headphones some burn in and settling time, with the 007 and 009 plugged in the LL2 and PS8 respectively.

Will post thoughts later in the week on the two Stax headphones, and comparisons of the LL2 and 8PS.....

Congrats, looking forward to the comparison, please make it as lengthy as possible:wink:

Jan 17, 2014 at 6:28 AM Post #1,333 of 25,535

I can bring my ED-1 to the SF Bay meet if you like.

Thank you for the VERY kind offer!  Unfortunately work has managed to get in the way of my trip over this time so I'm going to miss my first Bay Area meet in quite some time.  I am bummed.  

I did manage to work a deal on that ED-1 that was on Audigon, so I should have one to try out in the near future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back