The Stax Thread III
Jan 19, 2014 at 2:19 PM Post #1,337 of 25,539
I am looking forward to make a comparison between Stax SR-507 vs Stax Airbow SR-SC21 .As you see my avatar is now black,my friend will mix the phones in a dark room so i don't know on wich phone i am listening.I have some experience with cryo treatment on tubes and Siltech cables and my findings are that cryo treatment makes a somehow crispier sound but not always in good direction.I like the SR-507 very much with a warm source and it is one of the best phones around, i did like this phone so much that i sold the SR-009.I will make the comparison with a fully symmetrical front end and think it's the best way to operate the SR-507 and get soundstage.I don't know if Airbow did something to the drivers on SR-SC21 maybe Spritzer could comment on this but it's said that the SR-SC21 is on par with the SR-009 on many areas like resolution or even better.I release my findings maybe in two weeks

Jan 19, 2014 at 10:48 PM Post #1,340 of 25,539
  I am looking forward to make a comparison between Stax SR-507 vs Stax Airbow SR-SC21 .As you see my avatar is now black,my friend will mix the phones in a dark room so i don't know on wich phone i am listening.I have some experience with cryo treatment on tubes and Siltech cables and my findings are that cryo treatment makes a somehow crispier sound but not always in good direction.I like the SR-507 very much with a warm source and it is one of the best phones around, i did like this phone so much that i sold the SR-009.I will make the comparison with a fully symmetrical front end and think it's the best way to operate the SR-507 and get soundstage.I don't know if Airbow did something to the drivers on SR-SC21 maybe Spritzer could comment on this but it's said that the SR-SC21 is on par with the SR-009 on many areas like resolution or even better.I release my findings maybe in two weeks

If it's cryo treated of course it's real

I see references to cyro treating of metal parts to make them resistant to wear but how does this apply to headphones, and how do you do it anyway, dip the phones in liquid nitrogen?  I am prepared to consider tweaks if there is some plausible basis to think they might achieve some benefit.  Of course if someone just hands me a tweak I will probably try it anyway irrespective of whether there is, or I understand, a supposed basis of  the benefit. I see no difference between listening for such things and comparing most items of gear where there is little or no science to support a claim that one item is better than another.

Jan 19, 2014 at 11:12 PM Post #1,341 of 25,539
I have had the pleasure of spending nearly a week listening to the Stax SR-009 with the 8PS and LL2 amplifiers, and here are some thoughts.

The Stax SR-009 is truly a remarkable pair of headphones and very easy to fall in love with. Totally transparent and devoid of character and colouration. I have now heard the 009 in four different set ups, and they have sounded different every time, from delicate, ethereal to powerful with great slam and attack. I do feel that a balance is required in setting up a rig for the 009s as they can tend to sound slightly tilted from the upper mids onwards which lends them to sounding rather thin, bright and with a slight glare in the trebles. 

The amplifiers are integrated into my chain of the Lumin Music Player used as transport to the Metrum Hex via SPDif, which in turns sends the balance signal to the LL2 and single ended to the 8PS. All music files are stored on a Synology NAS with Minimserver installed. Components are placed on the Foundation MRS rack. The LL2 and 8PS sits on Nordost Kones and Shun Mook resonators, respectively. I use a Isotek Evo3 Acquarius and a couple of QV2 for power management. Control of the system is via an iPad Air.

Rather than being ultra critical, I took the view of writing this up to define the differences, while allowing for personal preferences of the two amps. All in all, I can say without hesitation that both amplifiers does an incredible job of making the 009 sing!

Instantly apparent between the two amplifiers is how good and at the same time different they sound with the 009, and the easiest way to separate the two characters of the amplifiers is that the 8PS has a first 5 row presentation while the LL2 is from the perspective of mid hall. Details galore flow out of the 009 with both amps. The 8PS has better immediacy, faster transients and initially appears the more detailed of the two. However, the LL2 has that uncannily ability to slow the music down to where you are actually hearing more from your music files. 

In terms of soundstaging, the LL2 is larger by a fair margin, and proportionally more accurate and correct to my ears. However, both amplifiers throw out a very realistic soundstage in the x, y and z axis, and along with the 009 has this extraordinary ability to illuminate the back of the stage that is not heard so clearly with other headphones. Images differ between the two amps. The 8PS's images are sharper and cleaner, while the LL2's are rounder and less edged out, I must say that both are accurate sounding according to their sonic signatures. I do feel there is better portrayal of inter play between the musicians on the LL2. Tonality and timbre are both conveyed extremely accurately, as is pace and rhythm. Both amplifiers are able to throw images that has great solidity and with a palpable realism.

Both amplifiers has the ability in making the 009 sound very balanced and coherent, with great extension at both ends. Bass is resolving on both amplifiers although different in how it is portrayed. The 8PS has faster initial attack and impact, but the LL2 has a lot more weight with better decay and bloom. Bass for me defines size of the soundstage. eg. In Hotel California when the 5 or 6 kick drums comes it, the LL2 lights up the auditorium with bass energy while the 8PS provides a more accurate depiction of the kick drum.

One cannot help but be mesmerized by the mids and vocals presentation of the 8PS, it is just so lush and full of nuances and micro details. The listening experience feels as the vocalist is singing just for you. So, just so seductive! Is this an accurate portrayal, probably not, as it makes the vocals mouth too large in size compare to other instruments but having all your sense washed over by the performance and attention seemingly just placed on you is indeed an experience to behold. The LL2 is far more realistic with the singer in front of you, in proportion to surrounding instruments size wise and giving a better interpretation of the performance. Having said this, Cassandra Wilson sounds extraordinary excellent on the 8PS.

The highs portrayed by the 009 was a problem area for me initially, and I had spent a lot of time switching interconnects and powers cables to alleviate the slight glare/sharpness especially with the 8PS. To my ears, I have managed to have the 009 sounding smoother while maintaining all(?) the detail. The LL2 is a smoother sounding from the outset. The treble is the frequency band where the 009 beats all other headphones for me. The resolution here is off the charts. Percussions are so true to life! Cymbals are portrayed magically, from strike, to the halo like dissipation and the long decay! 

Overall, for me, the 8PS is the slightly more clinical sounding, while the LL2 is a touch warmer and more musical. Both are highly accurate!

Comparing the two amps brought back fond memories of the 90s, setting up a home system when I arrived in Hong Kong from London. My first digital system. It boiled down to a full Krell or Mark Levinson system with Wilson Watt/Puppies. The LL2 and 8PS has such similarities to the aforementioned home amplifiers. At the time I chose a Krell system which is similar to how the Cavalli LL2 presents music, from mid hall.

Forced to make a choice today on the 8PS and LL2. I will again take a mid hall presentation, so the LL2. Again this is all based on personal preferences and I would have no qualms if the next person chooses the 8PS as their 009 amp. Really the two amplifiers are that good! It is still early days yet, and I have more cables coming in to try tuning the system to suit my listening preferences more.

During this period I have not listened to the LAu / Abyss at all, and in the coming weeks I will try to post some thoughts on the 009 and Abyss....

Jan 20, 2014 at 3:18 AM Post #1,342 of 25,539

I see references to cyro treating of metal parts to make them resistant to wear but how does this apply to headphones, and how do you do it anyway, dip the phones in liquid nitrogen?  I am prepared to consider tweaks if there is some plausible basis to think they might achieve some benefit.  Of course if someone just hands me a tweak I will probably try it anyway irrespective of whether there is, or I understand, a supposed basis of  the benefit. I see no difference between listening for such things and comparing most items of gear where there is little or no science to support a claim that one item is better than another.

It was sarcasm on my part (and dukes) in case you didn't catch on it. Cryo tubes and all that is pure bs.

Jan 20, 2014 at 5:52 AM Post #1,344 of 25,539

My first Stax setup :)

Colorfly C4 > Isabellina HPA LFP-V Ed. > Indeed TA2021 > SRD-6 > Stax SR-Lambda

The two headphones are same model, but sound a little different. One is brighter than the other. And one has a bit of "warm-up" time before sound comes through (5 sec...)

Is "warm-up" time common with vintage Stax?

Jan 20, 2014 at 6:10 AM Post #1,345 of 25,539

My first Stax setup :)

Colorfly C4 > Isabellina HPA LFP-V Ed. > Indeed TA2021 > SRD-6 > Stax SR-Lambda

The two headphones are same model, but sound a little different. One is brighter than the other. And one has a bit of "warm-up" time before sound comes through (5 sec...)

Is "warm-up" time common with vintage Stax?

'Stats taking time to charge is not uncommon for that age. As long as they sound fine with no staying imbalance. 

Jan 20, 2014 at 6:24 AM Post #1,346 of 25,539
the review will never happen i got today information from Pricejapan that the delivery time for the Cryo Stax is several weeks so i cancelled the order

Yes but, given that it trounces the sr009, it's probably well worth the wait!

Until the 009 gets cryogenated that is...

Arnaud

Jan 20, 2014 at 3:16 PM Post #1,350 of 25,539
There are some strong indications that the drivers that STAX are providing for the Airbows are not the same as the standard drivers.  At least that was the case with the 404's.  It's more likely that the improvements are because of what drivers are in there than the "treatments".  I going on reports from others on this...

Quote:

If it's cryo treated of course it's real

Users who are viewing this thread

Back