The Stax Thread III
Dec 3, 2013 at 12:50 AM Post #919 of 25,623
Hi everyone,

Sorry if my English is not perfect I am french.
I have some questions about amp for SR-009 I just bought my sr009 on price japan.
Actually I use an SRM-252s, I know is the worst stax amp :) but it's provisory. I would like to buy an new amp, I really love the SR-009, but there is one thing that it can be better, it's the treble, they are a little bit aggressive on my setup.

I see 3 amp in my budget. The stax SRM-323s, the SRM-006ts and the Woo audio GES. I see everywhere that the 323s is a relly good amp, but can it make treble smoother, and what about SRM-006ts is it the ugly duckling stax amp ? I don't have many information on it.

Thank you everyone for reading.

Dec 3, 2013 at 1:31 AM Post #920 of 25,623
  Hi everyone,

Sorry if my English is not perfect I am french.
I have some questions about amp for SR-009 I just bought my sr009 on price japan.
Actually I use an SRM-252s, I know is the worst stax amp :) but it's provisory. I would like to buy an new amp, I really love the SR-009, but there is one thing that it can be better, it's the treble, they are a little bit aggressive on my setup.

I see 3 amp in my budget. The stax SRM-323s, the SRM-006ts and the Woo audio GES. I see everywhere that the 323s is a relly good amp, but can it make treble smoother, and what about SRM-006ts is it the ugly duckling stax amp ? I don't have many information on it.

Thank you everyone for reading.

The SR-009 naturally cause fatigue - that's the main problem with them. One approach that works for me is to listen to them at low volume. This works in a very quiet environment. Since these headphones offer virtually no isolation, you really need to listen to them in a quiet environment. Otherwise, you end up increasing the volume to the level where you get fatigue, and you lose some of the details because of the ambient noise, so why bother listening to the SR-009 in that case.

Another approach is to use the SRM-727 amplifier (without modifying it). The SR-009 aren't as harsh with this amp. The SRM-323 isn't a good match, and neither is the SRM-007t. The KGSS is good, but you need to listen at low volume.

I'm personally not a huge fan of the SR-009. I think they are technically superb, but way too fatiguing. I like the ATH-W3000ANV a lot more, for example, even though they are less neutral and not quite as capable as the SR-009. They're just so much easier on the ears while still maintaining excellent sound quality, level of detail, and soundstage. They also offer some isolation which is extremely important to perceived sound quality in any environment where there's some noise (even just the fans on a computer). The problem with the W3000 is that they become uncomfortable after a while because they press on the ears. My dream headphones would sound like the W3000 and isolate like them (or more), while having ear pads that surround the ears rather than press on them.

Dec 3, 2013 at 3:11 AM Post #921 of 25,623
Wow I luv my 009's. If the treble is considered a little bright oh well. I enjoy them on my kgss or 717. You can attack them calling them bright all you want but I don't find them harsh in any way up there. I can play loud and it doesn't both me because the treble is more smooth than sharp. Recordinga with too much treble or recorded poorly are a problem though. These are easily the best I have heard.

Dec 3, 2013 at 3:36 AM Post #922 of 25,623
Thank you for you're reply.
I prefer treble smoother, and I really found that treble on the SR-009 are agressive, the 009 is perfect on the rest, incredible natural but treble ruin it. (on my setup) On a few songs that do not go very high, the sr009 is just amazing, but when we have a strong female voice, it does not longer work.

I will listen on shop when I will come back to France all Stax amp distributed (323, 006, 600 and I hope to find 727, 007) and I will listen an audio gd ref 5 witch is really smooth. I think that is the best solution, but I gladly take all your comments and opinions. Before my SR-009 I had a SR-007MKII, it is less natural but it does not hurt my ears. Something important on my feelings about the 009, I'm pretty young and I listen to music at low volume.

Dec 3, 2013 at 3:38 AM Post #923 of 25,623
I like the ATH-W3000ANV a lot more, for example, even though they are less neutral and not quite as capable as the SR-009. They're just so much easier on the ears while still maintaining excellent sound quality, level of detail, and soundstage. They also offer some isolation which is extremely important to perceived sound quality in any environment where there's some noise (even just the fans on a computer). The problem with the W3000 is that they become uncomfortable after a while because they press on the ears. My dream headphones would sound like the W3000 and isolate like them (or more), while having ear pads that surround the ears rather than press on them.

Have you tried the TH900, it's comparable if not better than W3000 in most way (sound isolation). It's earpad also surround the ears, so it is probably close to what you are after.

Back on topic, I am also interested in what people think of the GES. The only real comment I seen about it is Spritzer saying he don't really care for it in some old thread, but did not include much of a reason behind the statement. Would be very interested in see why that is the case.

Dec 3, 2013 at 4:41 AM Post #924 of 25,623
I've got a GES that I have been using while building one amp and waiting for delivery of another. Now that I think about it, it's been over a year. I won't comment on the design, there is plenty of information available on that if you dig through the threads here, or maybe someone will offer more on that.

The GES has been reliable and capable. It pairs well with the HE-60 and 009, but lacks the grunt needed for the 007s. For the price, especially what it can be had for used, it's a great amp to consider. I like having an option between SS and tubes and keep a 717 sitting right next to it, but unless I'm reaching for the 007s I find that I tend to fire up the GES if I plan to listen for a while. It won't blow your hair back, but it does little wrong.

Dec 3, 2013 at 6:54 AM Post #925 of 25,623
I was pretty much kidding, building the T2 is a major hassle. I do have many parts for one more so I will either build it or keep the parts as backup.

Shame and I was being serious. I can build diy but the T2 is beyond my knowledge and skillset. Looks like a major PITA to build to let alone any troubleshooting.

Dec 3, 2013 at 10:31 AM Post #926 of 25,623

Have you tried the TH900, it's comparable if not better than W3000 in most way (sound isolation). It's earpad also surround the ears, so it is probably close to what you are after.

I'm planning to try the TH-900. I'm a little bit concerned about the midrange on those since it's reported to be somewhat recessed...

Dec 3, 2013 at 11:02 AM Post #927 of 25,623
So, I had my first listen to Stax over the past weekend.  The 507's out of a KGSS.  I found them to be painfully bright, and didn't really see too many benefits over some of the dynamics I have.  Going to try and get my hands on a 007 next, perhaps I need something darker.

Dec 3, 2013 at 11:40 AM Post #928 of 25,623
  So, I had my first listen to Stax over the past weekend.  The 507's out of a KGSS.  I found them to be painfully bright, and didn't really see too many benefits over some of the dynamics I have.  Going to try and get my hands on a 007 next, perhaps I need something darker.

Why the 507? You chose one of the most polarizing Stax earspeakers.
confused.gif
Or was it the only option available?

Dec 3, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #929 of 25,623

Why the 507? You chose one of the most polarizing Stax earspeakers.
confused.gif
Or was it the only option available?

Was waiting to find a decent deal on a used pair of 007's and a good price on a basically new set of 507's came up on the FS forums so I figured I'd give them a shot.

Dec 3, 2013 at 12:10 PM Post #930 of 25,623
  Thank you for you're reply.
I prefer treble smoother, and I really found that treble on the SR-009 are agressive, the 009 is perfect on the rest, incredible natural but treble ruin it. (on my setup) On a few songs that do not go very high, the sr009 is just amazing, but when we have a strong female voice, it does not longer work.

I will listen on shop when I will come back to France all Stax amp distributed (323, 006, 600 and I hope to find 727, 007) and I will listen an audio gd ref 5 witch is really smooth. I think that is the best solution, but I gladly take all your comments and opinions. Before my SR-009 I had a SR-007MKII, it is less natural but it does not hurt my ears. Something important on my feelings about the 009, I'm pretty young and I listen to music at low volume.

With the 009s on a lower budget. A decent SET speaker tube amplifier + Woo Wee and do not look back.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back