The Stax Thread III
Dec 4, 2013 at 12:58 AM Post #946 of 25,682
Arnaud is right. Some of us prefer headphones.
And cables wont make the 009 (or any other phone sound better or worse). But the placebo effect is however undeniable.

Dec 4, 2013 at 3:08 AM Post #947 of 25,682
  Arnaud is right. Some of us prefer headphones.
And cables wont make the 009 (or any other phone sound better or worse). But the placebo effect is however undeniable.

Whatever floats ones boat. I agree with you, though. Have experienced what I'd suppose is the placebo effect myself (perceiving differences between cables), yet I don't believe cables making a difference. 

Dec 4, 2013 at 4:11 AM Post #948 of 25,682
So I can input my say as well, I prefer speakers too (quite evidently due to my lack of activity recently on these boards), there is nothing that interests me now, I mean the 009's are nice but I for one got over it after a few more auditions. You don't need spend a crazy amount to get to the 009 performance, just as there are stellar headphones there are stellar speakers (especially near-fields) for less but a major PITA to get right with tuning acoustical treatment to your room and another disadvantage is that speakers are not portable, you can't take them to another remote location with a simple plug and play.

Anyway enough of my imo and ramblings...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VERY-RARE-STAX-SRA-14S-Integrated-Amplifier-for-Ear-speaker-/200990597166?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item2ecbf9202e&_uhb=1

Overpriced doesn't even describe it....great condition though and not as popular as it's 12S brother, one could build a KGSS/HV with that amount.

Peace.

Dec 4, 2013 at 7:02 AM Post #949 of 25,682
I prefer speakers, too.  STAX  speakers....

wink_face.gif

Dec 4, 2013 at 8:35 AM Post #950 of 25,682

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VERY-RARE-STAX-SRA-14S-Integrated-Amplifier-for-Ear-speaker-/200990597166?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item2ecbf9202e&_uhb=1

Overpriced doesn't even describe it....great condition though and not as popular as it's 12S brother, one could build a KGSS/HV with that amount.

Peace.

I'd love to own one of these, but I'd ideally like to find one with some expansion cards for the phono stage.  I can't imagine finding them outside of an existing unit.

It does have a best offer option!

Dec 4, 2013 at 10:39 AM Post #951 of 25,682
I like the ATH-W3000ANV a lot more, for example, even though they are less neutral and not quite as capable as the SR-009. They're just so much easier on the ears while still maintaining excellent sound quality, level of detail, and soundstage. They also offer some isolation which is extremely important to perceived sound quality in any environment where there's some noise (even just the fans on a computer). The problem with the W3000 is that they become uncomfortable after a while because they press on the ears. My dream headphones would sound like the W3000 and isolate like them (or more), while having ear pads that surround the ears rather than press on them.

I loved my W3000ANVs, but they were far more fatiguing than any electrostatic I've used (even relative to the HE60). They're pretty bright and don't approach the resolution of the high-end electrostatics IMHO.

My favorite thing about my experience with electrostatics so far as that they have great treble performance while being listenable for days. Bright dynamic transducers get pretty offensive pretty quickly.

I also doubt it is possible to achieve a greater level of resolution than the very best electrostatic transducers. I enjoy the ability to perceive all available information from the source material.

Dec 4, 2013 at 10:57 AM Post #952 of 25,682
  So I can input my say as well, I prefer speakers too (quite evidently due to my lack of activity recently on these boards), there is nothing that interests me now, I mean the 009's are nice but I for one got over it after a few more auditions. You don't need spend a crazy amount to get to the 009 performance, just as there are stellar headphones there are stellar speakers (especially near-fields) for less but a major PITA to get right with tuning acoustical treatment to your room and another disadvantage is that speakers are not portable, you can't take them to another remote location with a simple plug and play.

Anyway enough of my imo and ramblings...

Peace.

Holy hell, I should sell my SRA-14S at some point then... 
eek.gif
  The biggest pain I've ever had to deal with when servicing this crazy beast.  Dozens and dozens of wires all over the place and they are all soldered in place.  Add that do brittle circuit boards and a very odd product design for a very unique challenge. 

Still have to replace the transformer too as they will all fail eventually. 

Dec 4, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #953 of 25,682
  I prefer speakers, too.  STAX  speakers....

wink_face.gif

From a few sources I've read apparently the early Stax speakers suffered a lot from build quality issues.

I'd love to own one of these, but I'd ideally like to find one with some expansion cards for the phono stage.  I can't imagine finding them outside of an existing unit.

It does have a best offer option!

Essentially an SRA-12S just with external PS and expansion cards. I wouldn't mind one if I had a TT for phono output.

Dec 5, 2013 at 10:42 AM Post #955 of 25,682
Well,
There 3 SRA14s in the market weithin in week. But there is a Crazy Collection here in Germany who wants to Set up some atax Ensembles with SRA preamps.

He buys all stax stuff

I ca swap an mm or line Board for a condensor board

Erhards George

Dec 6, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #958 of 25,682
Fellow Stax mafiosos,

I need your help. Yesterday I noticed, for the first time, a very, very low humming noise coming from my modified T1. This starts as soon as I hit the pre-heat button and without any source feeding the amp. To make things clear: the noise comes from the amp and is audible when sitting next to it (1-2 ft)!

This is very odd, what could be the cause of this problem?

Thanks in advance for any help...

Edit: it's a slight, not easily audible noise. I still cannot tell with certainity from where it comes exactly, but it's definitely the amp itself. It doesn't seem to effect sound quality when I listen with my Lambda Signatures.

Dec 6, 2013 at 5:57 PM Post #960 of 25,682
It's just the trafo. I experience it with some of my gear as well. Nothing to worry about afaik

Users who are viewing this thread

Back