The Stax Thread III
Sep 9, 2017 at 6:17 AM Post #12,887 of 25,535
Be kind and share with everyone your modification:)

Check the L300 thread. It's a simple mod go to kitchen for the materials lol..

Listening to the lambda's now is extraordinary. The music flows, bass pumps and detail detail detail...it's like i am in the music..

What more could anyone want?

Game over!

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2017 at 2:24 PM Post #12,891 of 25,535
Definitely something to this. Some systems promote long listening sessions, while others make you more fatigued as you listen for longer periods.

I agree 100%. I seem to have adopted this strategy without planning it. I have a pretty good 'aural memory' and on certain (small cluster) of well known tracks I can remember how they sounded on previous DACs or amp, pretty much.
Obviously a longer demo is really important as well. I also use various music types, so Rammstein (thrash/ heavy, Alex Morphe (well recorded dance/trance) Beyonce (female vocals with pitch, not Alison Crauss which is lower and sounds good on anything) and some Mozart piano Concerto. And listen to the upper level of 'normal' to really get to grips with how is sounds. I notice if I demo at middle levels, various HPs tend to sound a bit similar, even though they aren't. And of course, some amps start to show weaknesses on the 007 in particular at higher levels as those HPs are power hungry.

On DACs in particular, I have found I get quite excited in a short demo, but grow to hate them after a few more hours. For example the CH Precision C1 was great for 1/2 hour, very impressive dynamics and bass power, good extension in the treble. But after 4 hours I realised it was thin in the midrange to what I am used to, and had some sibilance in the treble on some material (Cranberries, Evanescence for example). That and the signature was plastic somehow, too processed. I do prefer NOS DACs for their timbre and midrange body. So yeah, longer the demo the better. if buying from a hifi store and the unit is north of 2K you should be able to ask to 'borrow' one for a day or so, so you know how it sounds in your own system, and your ears finally tell the trust.

Sep 9, 2017 at 8:56 PM Post #12,892 of 25,535
I have had a fantastic weekend enjoying my modded L300's.

I figure the law of diminishing returns applies with the more expensive stax.

So have found my audio nirvana and extremely satisfied with these electrostats.

I never realised cling wrap would improve it quite substantially but it has. I can listen for hrs studying the different sound qualities of bass and midrange. What's really icing on the cake is when solo music is played especially single instruments, and the hiss in the background. It's truly wonderful like a magnifying glass these headphones.

Food wrap + stax = winner..
:)

Can't wait for the next stax weekend listening session. Miss them already.

Sep 9, 2017 at 9:28 PM Post #12,893 of 25,535
A KGSSHV (Sanyo), a KGSSHV Carbon, 2 SR007's 2 SR009's and 2 HE60's for a starter. Oh, and a YGGY......:ksc75smile:

And a T2!

Sep 10, 2017 at 7:00 AM Post #12,894 of 25,535
Have not heard the 507 specifically. But my 207 + SRM252S compares very favorably against my HD600. Same generally Neutral sound, with more energy and speed, and MUUUUUCH lower bass extension. L700 + 353X steps it up substantially from there.

I do still love my HD600 and HD6XX, though I rarely use them anymore. They're "keepers" in my collection, even if mostly just as a sonic reference.

Haven't heard that particular combo, but have heard the SR-507 with SRM-T1 which is essentially the same circuit as the SRM-006. The 507 is brighter/harsher than your HD600, but doesn't have that Sennheiser veil. Reportedly the 207/307 is more neutral sounding, but I can't say from personal experience.

Thank you both!

Sep 10, 2017 at 9:11 AM Post #12,897 of 25,535
Hey guys,

Anyone heard/own sr-507 srm-006ts combo before? I need some advices whether I should get this system or not.

Coming from paw gold, micro idsd black, hd600
I also come interest in 507. like the he60 and find on other side spitzen says best lamda ever made
As for the 507, I like them more and more which for me is the true mark of something great. Feed them a complex bass line and they do show their limitation but the lack of the "Lambda boom" is a very welcome thing. The midrange is more forward then a Omega but it is very similar to the HE60, with no etch or shouting. I've moved on to the SRM-1 Mk2 running balanced off the APL and it still sounds just lovely. I'm just letting Foobar run on random to try pretty much anything I can throw at them. I'm not quite ready to declare this the best ever Lambda but it is bloody close...
default_ohmy.png

Sep 10, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #12,898 of 25,535
Be kind and share with everyone your modification:)
this foam band has better seal
you may experiment with lenght of this adhesive foam (for sealing windows & doors)
i get better bass when bottom arc is not sealed (~70% seal)
i have bad feeling, that stax when has absolute min (l300) or very high (207) seal, it makes bass weak
you must find sweetspot in between :)
fully reversible mod, just peel the band off

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/stax-sr-l300-impressions-thread.813511/page-8#post-13424289

listening time , 90% l300
9% 207
1% 007 (uh oh!)

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2017 at 4:23 PM Post #12,899 of 25,535
Hpeter,
Thanks for the link.

Prior to my mod, I noticed variables in the sound based on the earpad closure. ie always adjusting to find sweet spot.

Since doing the cling wrap the sound is always the same and is the sound I always wanted.

L300 very very good headphones.
:thumbsup:

Sep 11, 2017 at 4:18 AM Post #12,900 of 25,535
Wondering if the L700 is harder to drive then 009. I am new to Stax headphones and i want to buy the last and use it at the beginning only with M-03 portable electrostatic amplifier and later get a Stax energizer. Both 007 and 009 were driven with more then sufficient by this amplifier.
Unfortunately I cannot test the L700 near me, but maybe it will be present at the Indulgence show in London September 29- October 1.
I like the way you can replace the earpads quicker then 009.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back