The Stax Thread III
Jan 7, 2014 at 4:13 PM Post #1,277 of 25,560
^X2. With the 007mkI you will find near zero fatigue, and it is probably one of the very few (the only one in my experience) that has the ability to be like that whilst excelling in detail extraction + impact. SR009 on the other hand has a bright sound sig, and depending on your personal tastes and amp/source, it could be induce fatigue.

Jan 7, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #1,278 of 25,560
After finally getting an electrostatic amp, a used Cavalli Liquid Lightning MKI, I'm finally able to listen to my 009s at my own place. After listening for most of this weekend and last night (after getting the amp on Friday), they're growing on me even more, and now definitely think that they're a cut above the HD-800s and any other top-of-the-line dynamic headphone I've owned or heard. As much as I love the HD-800s, I don't think they'll get very much listening anymore. The resolution and transparency they provide are simply astounding, and I can definitely tell that my DAC is now the limiting factor in my system. I think I now see what Currawong meant when he wrote "You'll never have a good enough source for them" in his review for the 009s.

Jan 7, 2014 at 5:11 PM Post #1,280 of 25,560
I just ordered the LLmk3.

Judging by preliminary results the LL MKIII is every bit as good as LL MKII, maybe even better.

Jan 7, 2014 at 5:17 PM Post #1,281 of 25,560
I just ordered the LLmk3.

Would that be the latest iteration with tubes in it?

The one that isn't on their website?

Isn't an LL2 good enuf 4U?

Didja know that the LL Mk2 is sold out and they won't have any until 2015!
confused_face_2.gif

(or they aren't very good at updating their website...)

Jan 7, 2014 at 5:39 PM Post #1,282 of 25,560
  ^X2. With the 007mkI you will find near zero fatigue, and it is probably one of the very few (the only one in my experience) that has the ability to be like that whilst excelling in detail extraction + impact. SR009 on the other hand has a bright sound sig, and depending on your personal tastes and amp/source, it could be induce fatigue.

O2 mk1

Thanks for the responses. On the technical side, I will be using a transformer 1st, probably an SRD7 with my power amp; is this sufficient?. I asked this before regarding the 009s but apparently the 007s are more difficult to drive. My amp specs are:

Continuous Power Output 120w + 120w Min RMS per channel into 8 ohms from 20 to 20,000 Hz at rated T.H.D both channels driven Both Channels driven at 1,000Hz - 8ohms 120w +120w - 4ohms 130w + 130w Total harmonic distortion at 8ohms at rated power 0.008% Intermodulation distortion 0.008% Power Bandwidth (T.H.D. 0.05%) 5 - 70kHz Damping factor - 8ohms 70 Slow Rate 100V/uS Input sensitivity/impedance Main In - 1,000mV/50kohms Signal to noise ratio Main in - 110dB Frequency Response Main in (5-100kHz) +0/-0.5 DB Power AC 120v 60Hz Power Consumption 480W 620VA

Jan 7, 2014 at 8:18 PM Post #1,283 of 25,560

The SR-007Mk1s are very special headphones and I enjoy them quite a bit, but I would classify them as a hint on the darker side and the SR-009s are pretty darn neutral (by my standards anyway) on my KGSSHV/BDA-2 setup. 

After finally getting an electrostatic amp, a used Cavalli Liquid Lightning MKI, I'm finally able to listen to my 009s at my own place. After listening for most of this weekend and last night (after getting the amp on Friday), they're growing on me even more, and now definitely think that they're a cut above the HD-800s and any other top-of-the-line dynamic headphone I've owned or heard. As much as I love the HD-800s, I don't think they'll get very much listening anymore. The resolution and transparency they provide are simply astounding, and I can definitely tell that my DAC is now the limiting factor in my system. I think I now see what Currawong meant when he wrote "You'll never have a good enough source for them" in his review for the 009s.

I would suggest that you're leaving a lot of cards on the table with the SR-009s if you're using the LLMk1. I owned it and was not impressed to say the least. The SR-009s are so much more capable.

Jan 7, 2014 at 11:17 PM Post #1,285 of 25,560

Thanks for the responses. On the technical side, I will be using a transformer 1st, probably an SRD7 with my power amp; is this sufficient?.

SRD-7 = Normal bias energizer. You need an SRD-7 Pro or SRD-7sb MK2 or Woo Wee at least bare minimum to power pro bias headphones let alone the power hungry O2 mk1's. Yes 009's easier to drive then 007's (regardless of mark versions).

I'd have to second this, owned LLMK2 for a short period of time and was not impressed at all either.

Wow that really says something considering Peter's LLMk1 vs KGSSHV comparison thread was masqueraded by other users saying the MK2 is so much more superior to the MK1. 

:S

Jan 8, 2014 at 10:51 AM Post #1,287 of 25,560

The SR-007Mk1s are very special headphones and I enjoy them quite a bit, but I would classify them as a hint on the darker side and the SR-009s are pretty darn neutral (by my standards anyway) on my KGSSHV/BDA-2 setup. 

I would suggest that you're leaving a lot of cards on the table with the SR-009s if you're using the LLMk1. I owned it and was not impressed to say the least. The SR-009s are so much more capable.

Well I'm still waiting on my BHSE, which I still plan on getting. I just wanted to get some sort of electrostatic amp that would allow me to listen to STAX headphones. I didn't want to get a STAX amp (such as the SRM-727II) because of all the negative things I've heard about them from people. So far I'm really liking the 009s with the LL, so it'll do for now at least. If I am leaving a lot of cards on the table that's probably a good thing because that means the 009s can sound even better than they do now (which is hard to imagine because they already sound so great).

Jan 8, 2014 at 11:19 AM Post #1,288 of 25,560

Well I'm still waiting on my BHSE, which I still plan on getting. I just wanted to get some sort of electrostatic amp that would allow me to listen to STAX headphones. I didn't want to get a STAX amp (such as the SRM-727II) because of all the negative things I've heard about them from people. So far I'm really liking the 009s with the LL, so it'll do for now at least. If I am leaving a lot of cards on the table that's probably a good thing because that means the 009s can sound even better than they do now (which is hard to imagine because they already sound so great).

Negative things? The 727 is great with the 009.

Jan 8, 2014 at 11:26 AM Post #1,289 of 25,560

There's a ton of people who have enjoyed the 727. Plus, because of all the negative things I've heard from people the 727 is better than the LL.

You could also try out the feedback with the 727, which is reversible.

Jan 8, 2014 at 11:39 AM Post #1,290 of 25,560
"~~ I didn't want to get a STAX amp (such as the SRM-727II) because of all the negative things I've heard about them from people."

I'm really enjoying my 007TII amp with all my STAX headphones, and I like the 323S, too.  You gotta remember that this is a "perfectionist audio" website, and folks here are willing to spend all the money and effort necessary to drag the last ounce of performance out of their gear.  Sometimes it works a little bit, sometimes it just changes the sound, sometimes it's a step backwards.

In any case, the STAX amps are great at their price points, and should be enjoyed!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back