The Stax Thread III
Apr 12, 2017 at 9:51 PM Post #11,851 of 25,567
Thanks for your insight into tube rolling the BHSE. I really like the idea of the BHSE, especially when taking aesthetics into account which is really important to me. However, I do not want to get into tube rolling so maybe a Carbon is the right way for me to go. Who makes the best Carbon form a build quality point of view and can anyone share a comparison between the Carbon and BHSE? Apologies if this has already been covered previously.

One cost half the price of the comparison.
Go with Carbon, it's more value for money. Bank for buck think.
Get from Mjonnir Audio ( Probably didn't spell that right).

Apr 13, 2017 at 10:04 AM Post #11,855 of 25,567
  Thanks for your insight into tube rolling the BHSE. I really like the idea of the BHSE, especially when taking aesthetics into account which is really important to me. However, I do not want to get into tube rolling so maybe a Carbon is the right way for me to go. Who makes the best Carbon from a build quality point of view and can anyone share a comparison between the Carbon and BHSE? Apologies if this has already been covered previously.

Do some digging on this thread. Also the Carbon and 009 thread and at the 'other' place.

Also ask Purk and Mulveling who have / had both. My opinion is they are close but different. The BHSE is a chameleon to an extent with tube choice. As stock it can be a bit bright on the 009s, but fine on the 007s.

The Carbon 'may' have faster bass and soundstage width. It is difficult for me to say exactly as I am relying on my memory of the BHSE and 009s in that demo about 11 months back. Also there are a few slightly different builds of the Carbon, some with the 2 x 15V LV supply boards, others that take that off the main PS board. And possibly the volume pot type may add to a (slightly) different sound. The PS on the Carbon is a later design than the BHSE so 'may' be better. You will need to ask JimL or Kevin G for details on that.

If you get a decent builder he can advice you.

Don't forget, we are talking summit-fi in headphone land here, and you need a clean source (good smooth sounding DAC) or fatigue may entail. IMO it is not a good idea sticking the 009s and Carbon or BHSE on the end of a basic Laptop and cheapish DAC, it won't end well. You get so much speed and transparency with this system you might not like what you here (in your DAC and front end). The same applies to 20K+ speakers, with transparency there is a price, but get it right and it is heaven.

Good luck.

Apr 13, 2017 at 10:46 AM Post #11,856 of 25,567
Stax 009 and Carbon with it crazy bass, superior speed and soundstage can be pretty magical with this V-Pop
biggrin.gif

interesting clip...very mystical and sounds pretty infectious too!

Apr 13, 2017 at 11:22 AM Post #11,857 of 25,567

Do some digging on this thread. Also the Carbon and 009 thread and at the 'other' place.

Also ask Purk and Mulveling who have / had both. My opinion is they are close but different. The BHSE is a chameleon to an extent with tube choice. As stock it can be a bit bright on the 009s, but fine on the 007s.

The Carbon 'may' have faster bass and soundstage width. It is difficult for me to say exactly as I am relying on my memory of the BHSE and 009s in that demo about 11 months back. Also there are a few slightly different builds of the Carbon, some with the 2 x 15V LV supply boards, others that take that off the main PS board. And possibly the volume pot type may add to a (slightly) different sound. The PS on the Carbon is a later design than the BHSE so 'may' be better. You will need to ask JimL or Kevin G for details on that.

If you get a decent builder he can advice you.

Don't forget, we are talking summit-fi in headphone land here, and you need a clean source (good smooth sounding DAC) or fatigue may entail. IMO it is not a good idea sticking the 009s and Carbon or BHSE on the end of a basic Laptop and cheapish DAC, it won't end well. You get so much speed and transparency with this system you might not like what you here (in your DAC and front end). The same applies to 20K+ speakers, with transparency there is a price, but get it right and it is heaven.

Good luck.

Many thanks for these insights. I have no problem with source components, LPS-1, Mr, The Dave, it's just the amp that I have to consider and I will ask those who have had the opportunity of owning both.

Apr 13, 2017 at 11:31 AM Post #11,860 of 25,567
Yes, the Kgsshv Carbon with tubes, and Kelvin named it the "grounded Grid". One builder in Taiwan built this. Not sure about it sound, but not many were built yet. It is on sale in the forum too at an affordable price. I would grab it if I were you ^_^

This is Joe property and not mine

Apr 13, 2017 at 12:04 PM Post #11,861 of 25,567
  Carbon with tubes?? Missed that, please clarify, thanks.

So, the KGSShv Carbon uses SiC FETs in a grounded gate configuration at the outputs, which is the most linear way of doing it.  If you substitute a triode connected tube for the FET, you get a grounded grid configuration.  As far as I am aware, the front end and intermediate stages are the same, i.e. solid state diff amp configuration.

Apr 13, 2017 at 1:47 PM Post #11,862 of 25,567
correct, but there is also the BHSE circuit with all the unavailable fets replaced with current production bipolar.

Apr 13, 2017 at 8:37 PM Post #11,864 of 25,567
  Anyone know if the WEE Dynamic to Electrostatic Headphone Converter from Woo Audio, powered by a McIntosh amp be an upgrade over a Stax SRM-353X?

I have the WEE on a Bryston 2BLP, which is a big improvement over the 252S (cant speak for the 353 tho). I will say if the Macintosh is remotley as good as the Bryston is, and has no noise, I would say so.

Apr 14, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #11,865 of 25,567
darn (again lol) i found i have been wasteing many time for cheap bad sounding a USB DAC.
today i found cheap Marantz CD player sound much much better than my cheap old USB DAC(discontinued). darn
also i waste Suzuki-san(Chief Engineer of Stax)'s precious times by me asking him some my nonsense questions about it....darn

FYI Mac + some cheap old USB DAC combo can waste your time and can sound badder than some cheap traditional CD Players. Stax HPs can hear its differences easily....so please be aware.

hope this someones helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back