The Stax Thread III
Mar 22, 2017 at 3:25 PM Post #11,507 of 25,567
Utopia is holding up very well. 
All of a sudden....I think Utopia is a bit cheap for it asking price roflmao

I had the Utopia 2x (in home). The first time I had them for 1 day and the second time I borrowed them from The Cable Company for 16 days. I drove them with my GS-Xmk2/Holo Spring 3 using JRiver software. Much more than sufficient enough for the Utopia.

My apologies to Utopia owners, but I can't for the life of me understand the hype about these headphones. In no/way/shape or form did I feel these should even be considered a match for the 009/007MK2. I follow the Elear/Utopia thread because it amazes me as to what people are hearing. I know we all hear differently and have different tastes in sound, but to me these sound like a good headphone, and that's about it. If I liked them enough, I would only be willing to pay $1-1.5K for them as well.

Again, please take no offense, obviously these aren't for me in any way.  
I'm also glad you enjoyed them as many do! 
smile.gif

Mar 22, 2017 at 3:28 PM Post #11,508 of 25,567
I had the Utopia 2x (in home). The first time I had them for 1 day and the second time I borrowed them from The Cable Company for 16 days. I drove them with my GS-Xmk2/Holo Spring 3 using JRiver software. Much more than sufficient enough for the Utopia.

My apologies to Utopia owners, but I can't for the life of me understand the hype about these headphones. In no/way/shape or form did I feel these should even be considered a match for the 009/007MK2. I follow the Elear/Utopia thread because it amazes me as to what people are hearing. I know we all hear differently and have different tastes in sound, but to me these sound like a good headphone, and that's about it. If I liked them enough, I would only be willing to pay $1-1.5K for them as well.

Again, please take no offense, obviously these aren't for me in any way.  
I'm also glad you enjoyed them as many do! :smile:

No worry about that, Utopia has it own weakness...hence the driven force for me to go all out and get 009 and my Carbon :D. I posted the weakness in the Utopia own thread. I only admire the Utopia for it easy to drive solution while having the high-end performances.

I agreed about 009. It is phenomenal. I am glad I ended my journey this early and get my 009 :D so glad! The only weakness here is "stationary only"

Mar 22, 2017 at 3:36 PM Post #11,509 of 25,567
No worry about that, Utopia has it own weakness...hence the driven force for me to go all out and get 009 and my Carbon
biggrin.gif
. I posted the weakness in the Utopia own thread. I only admire the Utopia for it easy to drive solution while having the high-end performances.

I agreed about 009. It is phenomenal. I am glad I ended my journey this early and get my 009
biggrin.gif
so glad! The only weakness here is "stationary only"

Yeah, I just don't find the Utopia sounding "Hi-End" in any way…don't know what it is? Sometimes after reading everyones impressions of the Utopia, I often wonder did I miss something? Or did I get a defected Utopia? But I'm sure I didn't miss anything and pretty sure they weren't defective, I just don't care for them.

Congratulations on the 009/Carbon, enjoy!

Mar 22, 2017 at 4:38 PM Post #11,510 of 25,567
Happy new Utopia owner here.:)
Settling from SR009 to Utopia. Had the Stax flagship about 2 years and driving them from KGSS and Carbon. No doubt it is technically the best headphone but it is not without flaws. The Utopias tonality is spot on. The 009 is too bright and bass has a lot lower slam and punch then the Utopia. Speed is on par and that is the great story about the Utopia. It sounds so speedy and dynamic and you can drive them without problems from DAPs.
The soundstage is smaller but more pin point accuracy then 009!
I also have the SR007 MK2 SZ2xxx which sounds much warmer and fuller then SR009 but technically not with the transient response of the SR009.
In the end I prefer for my music Rock & Metal the Utopia and SR007. But I had funny 2 years with the awesome SR009. Maybe for Jazz and Classical a better choice but for my music not the best choice.

Mar 22, 2017 at 4:39 PM Post #11,511 of 25,567
Happy new Utopia owner here.:)
Settling from SR009 to Utopia. Had the Stax flagship about 2 years and driving them from KGSS and Carbon. No doubt it is technically the best headphone but it is not without flaws. The Utopias tonality is spot on. The 009 is too bright and bass has a lot lower slam and punch then the Utopia. Speed is on par and that is the great story about the Utopia. It sounds so speedy and dynamic and you can drive them without problems from DAPs.
The soundstage is smaller but more pin point accuracy then 009!
I also have the SR007 MK2 SZ2xxx which sounds much warmer and fuller then SR009 but technically not wit the transient response of the SR009. In the end i prefer for my music Rock & Metal the Utopia and SR007. But i had funny 2 years with the awesome SR009. Maybe for Jazz and Classical a better choice but for my music not the best choice.

Went for the sr-007 for similar reasons. Although, if I happen to have money lying around i might splurge and add the sr-009 to the collection.

Mar 22, 2017 at 4:59 PM Post #11,513 of 25,567
I do not have any treble issue with my 009 and Carbon . Good to hear the feedback from you. 20mA is plenty :). I can also see why you love Utopia with Rock and Metal. In fact, it is the best for those genres

I had no problems with the highs. The highs are awesome with no peaks maybe the best of the best. But the tonality in summary is too bright. And that disturb me in many records. Don't get me wrong there are records from Fates Warning or the older Dream Theaters which are great cinema with the SR009. But in the end with the Utopia the brighter and thinner metal records sound a lot fuller and with more punch.
That is also the same with SR007!

Mar 22, 2017 at 4:59 PM Post #11,514 of 25,567
Can any of the Mjolnir amps be used with regular headphones? (might be a silly question)

Mar 22, 2017 at 5:14 PM Post #11,515 of 25,567
Buzzlulu, you are going to be looking at the moar bettar Verto slop for that use case.

Mar 22, 2017 at 5:32 PM Post #11,518 of 25,567
Mar 22, 2017 at 5:33 PM Post #11,519 of 25,567
Mar 22, 2017 at 5:39 PM Post #11,520 of 25,567

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back