The Stax Thread III
Mar 9, 2017 at 2:33 AM Post #11,326 of 25,495

Not a fair comparison, because apart of my KGSSHV Mini, I only heard the SRM-323S, and it was a one hour audition, did not heard the 007TA.
SRM-323S (now replaced by SRM-353X) is considered the best Stax amp by the Stax mafia.
The KGSSHV Mini is the only electrostatic amp that I bought for myself.
Also, when I heard the 007 with the SRM-323S, the 007 was in stock form, mine has the bass ports sealed, I did the mod one day after having the headphones, so it's not the most accurate comparison. My 007 are the current revision, don't know what revision are the other 007 pair that I auditioned with the Stax amp, it was in 2016, so I suppose they're the same version.

What I can say is, stock 007 and 323s= midbass hump, bland sounding, dull.
007 with Spritzer mod and KGSSHV Mini= neutral, no soft treble, tons of bass impact, no midbass hump.

You really need to seal the bass ports and a Kevin Gilmore amp for the 007, if not, go for another headphone.
Also the seal is very important, is a very tricky headphone, very hard to judge because of the required conditions to get it "right".

EDIT: I know that opening the headphones and buying something from a DIYer and not a store is a kick in the balls, because you can broke the headphones if you touch the diaphragm and get scammed with the amp if you have bad luck...but for me, the risk was worth it, didn't broke anything and didn't get scammed, now my problem is a better source, but headphone upgrade? Ha! I've found true, inconditional love for this tricky, unicorn-like Stax headphone.

​I was thinking of adding the sr-009/HD800S to my collection, but will significantly delay getting a KG amp, oh man what to do. I mean the 007TA doesn't sound terrible lol, much better than my previous setup.

Mar 9, 2017 at 2:57 AM Post #11,327 of 25,495
  I'm thinking of getting a pair of Stax. 

I'm a bit concerned about the dust problem though. This might have been asked numerous times before, but how well have they've fared in your rooms?

I might get a slight layer of dust on my desk every week. No idea whether this is a lot, as it's normal to me by now.

Also, any predictions/experience in how they might fare in an environment that gets pretty hot in the summer and pretty cold in the winter? I live in Minnesota where the temperatures can get crazy from below zero in the winter and mid-nineties or higher in the summer.

EDIT: Where might I be able to get the earspeakers or the system repaired? I might look into shipping internationally when it comes to it (hopefully not).

I live in Iowa, so similar temperature extremes.-20 to -40F windchill in the winter, 105-ish in the summer. I've had my Lambda's for almost a year now, zero troubles. But I also use the heck out of my A/C and furnace.

You'll be fine.

Mar 9, 2017 at 3:58 AM Post #11,328 of 25,495

I'm a bit concerned about the dust problem though. This might have been asked numerous times before, but how well have they've fared in your rooms?

I might get a slight layer of dust on my desk every week. No idea whether this is a lot, as it's normal to me by now.

Also, any predictions/experience in how they might fare in an environment that gets pretty hot in the summer and pretty cold in the winter? I live in Minnesota where the temperatures can get crazy from below zero in the winter and mid-nineties or higher in the summer.

EDIT: Where might I be able to get the earspeakers or the system repaired? I might look into shipping internationally when it comes to it (hopefully not).

If the any amount of dust is concerning to you, then you can purchase the protective covers that Stax makes for their headphones. Unless you have an authorized deal that is around, you have to buy them from Japan, special order. In the mean time you could use the plastic the headphones came wrapped in as a dust condom. Super ghetto but it works.

Mar 9, 2017 at 4:24 AM Post #11,329 of 25,495

I live in a literal swamp and use 20 year old Stax that still work perfectly. A lot of stuff people say about dust or water or temperature about other electrostats don't apply much to good Stax with dust shields. The stuff that usually gives out is either the cord or maybe the diaphragm coating after 30 or 40 years. Compared to other quality stats that seem to have problems with buzz from dust like the Koss ESP 950 anyway. Even those kind of things are pretty solid. I had a an ESP 6 from the late-60's that still worked perfectly after a little TLC to the circuit boards.

Wow, that's really durable. I had wrongly believed electrostats could fragile devices prone to dust and moisture. If it can last for so many years, then that's making a statement regarding their build quality.

Mar 9, 2017 at 5:38 AM Post #11,330 of 25,495
confused_face.gif

Mar 9, 2017 at 8:31 AM Post #11,331 of 25,495
When I got my Lambda NB back in the eighties I lived in Houston (hot and humid). I now live in northern Minnesota (frigid cold in the winter and warm/humid in the summer) and both the lambda and my 009 are working just fine. Yes, on some amps and energizers the lambda take a moment to charge but the BHSE and LL2 have no issue running them.

Mar 9, 2017 at 11:39 AM Post #11,332 of 25,495
Yeah, it often gets to 90% humidity around me, yet my SR-X Mark III have never failed to rock out in any condition. In fact, I always liked em a little more then Lambdas.... 
deadhorse.gif

Mar 10, 2017 at 3:30 AM Post #11,334 of 25,495
I have yet to do the bass port mod, but I believe I am hearing some farts when I move the headphone for a better seal. What does this mean? The drivers on my set were replaced this very year though

Yo dog, what you are hearing is the plastic membrane inside the headphone flex, as a result of the air pressure being exerted from sudden movement on your head. Older Stax, at least the old Lambdas were deliberately designed so no air would leak from the pads for sound reasons, but since no air can escape, pressure inside the chamber developed when you press them against your head.. This is the famous Stax Fart, if my audiophile terminology is up to speed, but i didnt know the 007s did that. The Omega II MK2s i tested (and am going to end up buying) never did this.

Mar 10, 2017 at 6:16 AM Post #11,335 of 25,495
Yes, the 007 mk1 also is supposed to do that. Only with the mk2 Stax introduced a port to 'solve' the issue, and it is this port some people close to increase bass quality. The 007 mk1 doesn't have such a port, so it can have a proper seal to your head and thus optimal bass quality. In fact, you get a small paper letter from Stax inside the 007 mk1 suitcase explaining in their broken English that the Stax fart is nothing to worry about.

Mar 10, 2017 at 4:49 PM Post #11,337 of 25,495
Ait. I listened to the Mark 2s, and those are the ones that i am getting, so i dont have to worry about Stax Shart

mk2's still fart as does the 009.

Mar 11, 2017 at 7:55 AM Post #11,338 of 25,495

Quote:
  Yes, the 007 mk1 also is supposed to do that. Only with the mk2 Stax introduced a port to 'solve' the issue, and it is this port some people close to increase bass quality. The 007 mk1 doesn't have such a port, so it can have a proper seal to your head and thus optimal bass quality. In fact, you get a small paper letter from Stax inside the 007 mk1 suitcase explaining in their broken English that the Stax fart is nothing to worry about.

Someone asked to scan this little note from Stax, so here it is:

Mar 11, 2017 at 2:21 PM Post #11,339 of 25,495
Ah I see, thnx for the clarification guys.
On another note, I am in the process of acquiring the KGSSHV in the sale forums. So I am looking to be rid of the srm 007TA I have. Anyone here wanna pick it up for $1150? it is basically brand new, only about a week old.

Mar 12, 2017 at 7:53 PM Post #11,340 of 25,495
I need some help with a tough first world problem. I have the stax srm 007TA driver unit, and the sr-007 sounds very good out of it, but having been told it is most likely under-driven I was looking to acquire a KGSSHV carbon. Thing is, I was considering adding the sr-009 to my collection before this amp discussion reared its proverbial ugly head. To those who have heard both the 00TA and a good KGSS/KGSSHV build, is it better to get the KGSSHV carbon rather than get the sr-009?

There are a few moments where it is obvious the 007TA suffers with dynamics, you can hear all the detail but you can tell there is some compression. So I know it will be an upgrade, but is it worth it? will I plug in the stax sr-007 into the carbon and find angels singing into my ears? or are the improvements minor, like eking out the last 5% of performance?

Any input is greatly appreciated. thnx

Users who are viewing this thread

Back