The Stax Thread III
Dec 17, 2013 at 5:02 AM Post #1,111 of 25,541
I wouldn't buy any 'stat with imbalance unless it was very, very cheap.

Dec 17, 2013 at 6:21 AM Post #1,114 of 25,541
I may sell all my dynamic 'phones, amps.....

Haven't listened to my Stax or ESP-950's for a couple of months, trying to give my HD800's, HE6's and LCD-2's some time in playback rotation, as well as spend a little time with a nice 5998 tube I got for my Bottlehead Crack/Speedball amp.

Went back to my T-1 / Lambda Pro Signatures today, and, gee, I really am just about ready to sell my HD800s, HE6's, LCD-2's, the Crack, the Beta-22, the CK3, the M3, the Little Dot Mk III, the Audio-Gd FUN and NFB-10es, etc.   OK, so maybe I'll keep the Crack and my 600 ohm Beyer DT880's- just to have ONE set of dynamics and because I like the Bottlehead amp.

I'm serious about this.  I really am thinking of leaving dynamics behind.  My ESP-950's, Lambda Signatures, and SR-007 Mk I's, yes, keep those.  The T1 and the soon-to-be finished DIY T-2, yes, keep those too.

HATE TO DO IT because it's a lot of gear and I built a shelf for it all - a silly reason, I know, but that's how it is with me.  Also, I kind of hate to sell the DIY amps, part of me is in those things.  But the more I listen to these Lambdas and the more I think about how the HD800's treble peak hurts my ears- yes actual pain, I have a bit of hyperacusis right where their peak is - the more I wonder "WHY??" 

Dec 17, 2013 at 6:30 AM Post #1,115 of 25,541
  I may sell all my dynamic 'phones, amps.....

Haven't listened to my Stax or ESP-950's for a couple of months, trying to give my HD800's, HE6's and LCD-2's some time in playback rotation, as well as spend a little time with a nice 5998 tube I got for my Bottlehead Crack/Speedball amp.

Went back to my T-1 / Lambda Pro Signatures today, and, gee, I really am just about ready to sell my HD800s, HE6's, LCD-2's, the Crack, the Beta-22, the CK3, the M3, the Little Dot Mk III, the Audio-Gd FUN and NFB-10es, etc.   OK, so maybe I'll keep the Crack and my 600 ohm Beyer DT880's- just to have ONE set of dynamics and because I like the Bottlehead amp.

I'm serious about this.  I really am thinking of leaving dynamics behind.  My ESP-950's, Lambda Signatures, and SR-007 Mk I's, yes, keep those.  The T1 and the soon-to-be finished DIY T-2, yes, keep those too.

HATE TO DO IT because it's a lot of gear and I built a shelf for it all - a silly reason, I know, but that's how it is with me.  Also, I kind of hate to sell the DIY amps, part of me is in those things.  But the more I listen to these Lambdas and the more I think about how the HD800's treble peak hurts my ears- yes actual pain, I have a bit of hyperacusis right where their peak is - the more I wonder "WHY??" 

It's a good decision! Don't burden yourself with stuff you don't like anymore.

Dec 17, 2013 at 7:33 AM Post #1,117 of 25,541
Doesn't your LS have imbalance issues?

Nah, just sizzling. Have heard some slight sizzling when the t1 warms up with my sigma. It seems illogical. Mostly the sizzling sound starts after half an hour with my LS. Will try to open it up today (the LS). Perhaps also the sigma if I find it to be easy.

Dec 17, 2013 at 8:35 AM Post #1,118 of 25,541
Can't even get the damn thing out of the housing!

EDIT: Got it out, yet have now idea what to do now.. No wonder it was stuck, that black gooey stuff from the pads made it stick quite a lot.

Dec 17, 2013 at 9:14 AM Post #1,119 of 25,541
Help
confused_face.gif

Dec 17, 2013 at 10:28 AM Post #1,120 of 25,541
Why dont you open a musem of pre-II WW technology based headphones? 

Dec 17, 2013 at 11:17 AM Post #1,121 of 25,541
The imbalance can be cause by a number of things, anything from the parasitic charge issue to cable or driver damage.  The parasitic charge is the most puzzling of these and quite hard to predict and/or fix.  I'm currently running some tests to both try to make it appear and to get rid of it.  There is also a circuit we've been working on which could help dissipate the unwanted charge rapidly but to test it, I need sets which have the issue.

If anybody has any sets with imbalance issues then I'd love to buy them.  Best if they have diaphragms which I can remove and measure (i.e. not Lambdas bar the last version). 

Dec 17, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #1,122 of 25,541
Just today got one of the tiny, SRM-252S amps in for use with a Koss EsP950 headphone ... currently listening to the amp with my SR-307's and being fed by a little Cowon J3 (cause I'm at work and my main source gear  is at home) ...

And I gotta say ... humble amp and all, ultra affordable ... but even with the Cowon as a source, it is unbelievably good sounding. More clear/transparent than the T1W amp I recently sold (which sounded sort of dull compared to the 252S). Hard to believe how good it sounds....

Crazy...

Dec 18, 2013 at 6:42 AM Post #1,123 of 25,541
KGSSHV?

A question for those who have heard both the KGSSHV  and the DIY T-2
  1. How does the sound of the KGSSHV compare to the DIY T-2 on the SR-007 Mk1 -  ?

Heres a more general KGSSHV question
  1. How does the KGSSHV sound on ordinary pro-bias Lambdas ? Does it sound WAY better than (for example) a T1, or just a BIT better, or maybe even not that much audible difference driving a Lambda over a T1?  (What I'm getting at here is - is the improvement from the KGSSHV only  audible on SR-007's?

Dec 18, 2013 at 7:52 AM Post #1,124 of 25,541
  KGSSHV?

A question for those who have heard both the KGSSHV  and the DIY T-2
  1. How does the sound of the KGSSHV compare to the DIY T-2 on the SR-007 Mk1 -  ?

Heres a more general KGSSHV question
  1. How does the KGSSHV sound on ordinary pro-bias Lambdas ? Does it sound WAY better than (for example) a T1, or just a BIT better, or maybe even not that much audible difference driving a Lambda over a T1?  (What I'm getting at here is - is the improvement from the KGSSHV only  audible on SR-007's?

Check in the BHSE thread..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back