The Stax Thread III
May 21, 2016 at 2:56 PM Post #8,867 of 25,570
May 21, 2016 at 5:19 PM Post #8,869 of 25,570
For the record I have compared the Nebuchadnezzar with a 007t Mk2 and a 353x, and sounded better than the 353x, and a little bit better than the 007t. That's it. That defines its class pretty well, which means very good value for money. No comparison made with any KG amps, but the 009, 007 mk2 and mk1 and the L700 all sounded pretty good from the Nebuchadnezzar. I listened at low to medium volume levels, classical, jazz, instrumental, pop and electronica. For better context you'd need to buy one and compare yourself.

May 21, 2016 at 5:24 PM Post #8,870 of 25,570
For the record I have compared the Nebuchadnezzar with a 007t Mk2 and a 353x, and sounded better than the 353x, and a little bit better than the 007t. That's it. That defines its class pretty well, which means very good value for money. No comparison made with any KG amps, but the 009, 007 mk2 and mk1 and the L700 all sounded pretty good from the Nebuchadnezzar. I listened at low to medium volume levels, classical, jazz, instrumental, pop and electronica. For better context you'd need to buy one and compare yourself.

Sorry I don't want to fry my SR009. Then 5000€ is from one moment to the next out of the window.

May 21, 2016 at 6:00 PM Post #8,871 of 25,570
Valid. No amp maker will give you insurance, that's why stat amps need verifiable good design and reputation coming from verified experience with them. Newcomers are in difficult position. You can ask the makers all questions you have about how the headphones are protected, but a known and tested design is always safer, albeit it may be up to several times more expensive.

May 22, 2016 at 8:19 AM Post #8,872 of 25,570
Does anyone have any experience with the Exstata amp? I bought one last year used from Birgir with an upgraded BHSE power supply which is what I have always read was the weak point of this amp. I bought it to use temporarilly with my ESP-950s, as I prepare to move up to L700s, so I would have something with the Stax plug. I was wondering how the Exstata might compare to a KGST so I can get an idea of how much of an improvement to expect.

Thanks

May 23, 2016 at 12:08 PM Post #8,873 of 25,570

I too tried the Nezzar amp with my SR-007A and it sounded much better than the SRM-006t and SRM-323S, both of which I have recently sold. The Nazzar amp provided much better bass extension without the appalling treble response of the SRM-323S. The Nezzar's sound can be characterised as sweet, powerful and well suited to a variety of genres. Whereas the SRM-007tII may lose composure at higher volume levels, the Nezzar amp remains tightly focused and acts like a SRM-727II without the treble glare which can be ruinous for female vocalists. All this is subjective, but I miss the Nezzar. A factor which influenced my decision to try the Nezzar was that the 4 triodes can be replaced without rebiasing - Stax take note. Apparently the current versions have three sockets so an electrostatic threesome is possible!

Despite being entirely triode powered electronic music is no obstacle. Sadly hearing loss means high end headphones are no longer relevant to me, so my SR-007A will be sold soon. 

May 24, 2016 at 7:03 AM Post #8,874 of 25,570
Interesting about the Nezzar. IMO we could do with more amplifier manufacturers in this sector. I came from a Stax system and was never aware of a non Stax amp. That all changed when I found this forum. I think it is a leap of faith to buy DIY or without hearing gear, but so far everything I have bought via this forum has been great.

May 26, 2016 at 3:37 PM Post #8,876 of 25,570
  Guys, does it make sense to buy SRM T1 amp these days.

THX

No, you can buy my Moljnir KGST in a couple of months. 
biggrin.gif

May 26, 2016 at 5:45 PM Post #8,880 of 25,570
Thanks for the info, thats what I was thinking as well, because of its  production year and if you are Lucky, it will be 20+ years old at least:)

Quote:

It would be in need of a recap, if it hasn't got new caps already. Its tubes can be replaced, and rebiasing is easy. For the rest, sure, it's a fine amp with Lambdas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back