The Stax Thread III
Mar 21, 2016 at 12:06 PM Post #8,296 of 25,682
I would be grateful if anyone could compare the sound of the SR007 on the Carbon vs. the regular KGSS-hv. Thank you.

Excuse me for rambling on in an ode to the SR007, but I just need to say this as I sit here thinking after a few nights of listening to them on my KGSShv mini...
For some reason, I usually find myself gravitating towards my SR007 [Mark 2] because it just feels right and hits me on the right level where I just lean into the music without thinking even though I have the SR009.

I may be overdoing things here, but although the SR007 may be "bettered" by other phones, nothing seems to be missing and it just gets to the heart of the music. When there is a thump in the music, it sounds just right and real. Voices just flow with sheer beauty.

Instruments sound sweet and full of life. And it does all of this without going over the top with anything shrill. The SR007 is especially great to me with SACD, where I sort of feel I would not change anything to make things technically better in any area, so as not to break the spell of enjoyment.

Mar 21, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #8,297 of 25,682
  After an initial period of going back-and forth between the Carbon, two KGSShv's, and a KGST -- with 009 and L700 -- I've settled into pretty much entirely Carbon/009 listening. It's supposed to be the best combo of the lot, it is the best, and it's the most enjoyable. I still have my other amps but haven't had any significant urges to hook them up in a while. The 450V's warmth is nice for 009, but don't over-assign value to that; the Carbon is plain better. Yeah mine is running under 20mA (and certainly well under 20A :wink:); it's 17mA I believe.

Interesting. The warmth of the Sanyo KGSShv is addictive for digital to bring things back to reality (realistic timbre, not hifi shouty). If the treble in the Carbon is smooth and not of a higher level or prominence, then I think it will be fine for me. If there is a wider soundstage and it's 'faster' then the loss of some warmth my be ok. I think I need to hear one next to my own amp to be sure.

Mar 21, 2016 at 3:42 PM Post #8,298 of 25,682
  I hope you do go through with a Carbon. I've become increasingly impressed with its performance and musicality, over time. Lately I've been playing with the L3000 and HD650 (again) out of some very nice amplification (both tube and SS), and though they're both really nice sounding (in completely different ways), it reminds me that 1. the Stax headphones are far cleaner and more detailed and 2. the 009//007/L700 out of a top amplifier is by far the least fatiguing listening experience I've had in head-fi. I was never bothered by 009 "brightness" with a good KGSShv, and especially not with Carbon -- in fact I can probably listen longer to 009 than with 007. Dynamics always end up wearing me down in some way or another. I get way more details with way less fatigue; can listen for hours with no worries or discomfort. I did forget that the L3000 has a hellacious amount of energy, when played relatively loud. It's exhilerating for a bit, but you can't do it for too long!

Interesting post as I recently acquired a very nice Headamp GS-1 with the Dynalo+ boards upgrade.  With the Dynalo I have rediscovered my HD650's, guitar music in particular has me smiling (was listening to Larry Carlton and Roben Ford live last night and could not put them down...).  The SS amp is good with my TH900's (probably overkill), but it particularly makes the HD650's sing.  I would not place the combination ahead of my 007A / KGST rig, but I was surprised at the synergy....very cool.

HS

Mar 21, 2016 at 4:09 PM Post #8,299 of 25,682

The Wee is a design based off one from Kevin Gilmore.

ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY NOT.  I don't do anything (and I do mean anything) with transformers in the audio path.
The woo wee is a srd7 done wrong.

The woo ges is my design.
And woo audio builds it very well.

Mar 21, 2016 at 4:42 PM Post #8,300 of 25,682
  After an initial period of going back-and forth between the Carbon, two KGSShv's, and a KGST -- with 009 and L700 -- I've settled into pretty much entirely Carbon/009 listening. It's supposed to be the best combo of the lot, it is the best, and it's the most enjoyable. I still have my other amps but haven't had any significant urges to hook them up in a while. The 450V's warmth is nice for 009, but don't over-assign value to that; the Carbon is plain better. Yeah mine is running under 20mA (and certainly well under 20A :wink:); it's 17mA I believe.

too bad you could not compare them to the BHSE.  Indeed, I ordered a BHSE for my SR009, and I hope I did the right choice by choosing BHSE instead of the Carbon 
biggrin.gif

Mar 21, 2016 at 5:05 PM Post #8,301 of 25,682

Interesting post as I recently acquired a very nice Headamp GS-1 with the Dynalo+ boards upgrade.  With the Dynalo I have rediscovered my HD650's, guitar music in particular has me smiling (was listening to Larry Carlton and Roben Ford live last night and could not put them down...).  The SS amp is good with my TH900's (probably overkill), but it particularly makes the HD650's sing.  I would not place the combination ahead of my 007A / KGST rig, but I was surprised at the synergy....very cool.

HS

Nice -- my SS amp here is an old head-amp Gilmore Reference (2003-ish dynalo). The tube amp is an infamous (but great sounding) Singlepower SDS toaster. Especially at first, I wasn't expecting to get so much sound out of the HD650. It had been years since I'd given them a serious listen. It absolutely took be by surprise; they aren't that big of a drop-off from 009/Carbon in absolute terms. Very musical headphones, and a great deal. Still, my affinity for the Stax always pulls me back before too long 
biggrin.gif

The HD650 + Dynalo pairing was a killer setup for 2003, and deservedly so. I need to get a balanced cable for the Senns to see how far they go. In all those years of searching for an endgame dynamic setup to supersede my HD650, I never felt like I found a proper "across the board" upgrade in all aspects (Qualia, R10, L3000, K1000, HP1000, Ultrasone Ed 9 (lol))...until I heard the 009 two years ago (they just work really well for me).

too bad you could not compare them to the BHSE.  Indeed, I ordered a BHSE for my SR009, and I hope I did the right choice by choosing BHSE instead of the Carbon 
biggrin.gif

I need to spend some more time with Purk's BHSE...it's been far too long. But I remember being very very impressed with its detail and of course lovely tube mids. And of course it's a work of art. To be honest I kinda want to buy one to complement my Carbon, and sell all my other electrostat amps (no point in keeping them now).

Mar 21, 2016 at 5:21 PM Post #8,302 of 25,682
  ...I need to spend some more time with Purk's BHSE...it's been far too long. But I remember being very very impressed with its detail and of course lovely tube mids. And of course it's a work of art. To be honest I kinda want to buy one to complement my Carbon, and sell all my other electrostat amps (no point in keeping them now).

OUF, I am reasured.  

but what do you mean by "want to buy one (BHSE) to complement my Carbon..." ?  Do you expect the BHSE & the Carbon to offer a different & complementary sound ? 

Mar 21, 2016 at 7:22 PM Post #8,303 of 25,682
   OUF, I am reasured.  

but what do you mean by "want to buy one (BHSE) to complement my Carbon..." ?  Do you expect the BHSE & the Carbon to offer a different & complementary sound ? 

To some degree, yes. I'm expecting a bit more mellow top end and tighter bass from the Carbon, and a more natural/beautiful midrange with the BHSE (possibly with more detail there too). But I'll have to play with them both for awhile in the same system to be sure. This would be a used-market BHSE, to be sure. You guys that wait all the way through the build cycle have the patience of a saint!

Mar 22, 2016 at 12:14 AM Post #8,305 of 25,682
Listening to the sr-009 that came in today with kgsshv carbon from Birgir/Mjolnir Audio....I think I need a new pair of underpants...so this is what I've been missing...I should of done this years ago...crap....real impressions will come after I unglue them from my head.

Get the T2 and you will never get anything done.  Congrats on the Carbon!

Mar 22, 2016 at 9:51 AM Post #8,306 of 25,682
Listening to the sr-009 that came in today with kgsshv carbon from Birgir/Mjolnir Audio....I think I need a new pair of underpants...so this is what I've been missing...I should of done this years ago...crap....real impressions will come after I unglue them from my head.

I know that feeling. Congrats.

Mar 22, 2016 at 10:14 AM Post #8,307 of 25,682
  I need to spend some more time with Purk's BHSE...it's been far too long. But I remember being very very impressed with its detail and of course lovely tube mids. And of course it's a work of art. To be honest I kinda want to buy one to complement my Carbon, and sell all my other electrostat amps (no point in keeping them now).

I can gate crash that. I have heard David61's BHSE a few times against my KGSShv Sanyo on the same system, and it is a truly great amp. Powered by his K-01 and XF4s it sounded really special. The only bug may have been a slight coldness to the treble which I am convinced was the K-01 as David now has the Yggy and says it is better in that regard. Must be pretty perfect right now I imagine.

The BHSE is quite a bit ahead of my KGSShv in midrange magic and vocals. Also crucially the soundstage is wider and the layering and 3D head stage is wider. If I had the BHSE I would probably use it instead of my amp. There is an aspect to my amp that I like though, it's warmth and the bass / dynamics. If the Carbon retains some of the Sanyo warmth, all of the bass and have a wider soundstage it may be real close to the BHSE. I won't know until I have heard one myself though. Purk is a good source for an opinion on the Carbon and BHSE. If it is as close or as good in most areas then I will be very happy indeed.

From reading various recent posts at the other place, it seems the PS design on the Carbon is better than the KGSShv or KGST. I have realised the power supply is very important to the final sound by upgrading various bits in my own system and DAC. 

Anyone wanting a BHSE may need to get on with it, as I think Justin is to stop on the next batch and go for a different one box amp design (not 100% sure, needs clarification).

Mar 22, 2016 at 4:24 PM Post #8,309 of 25,682
Any more opinions about the L700 from experienced users?

Heard them twice now for short periods and seem to have it in my head that they can be little harsh or (revealing) with certain tracks to the point of being unpleasant. As we know some cans tend to brush over moments like that with a nice lick of veil paint, so I'm still unsure on what to do. I heard them with the 353x and one of the 007 amps.

I'm very close to getting the hd800S to replace my hd650 and hd700, but don't want to regret not getting the l700! They are very special and would compliment my AB-1266 perfectly.

Take my hand, and feel my first world problem brothers.

Any opinions from people that have heard both at length would be much appreciated.

Mar 22, 2016 at 4:35 PM Post #8,310 of 25,682
Visited my "go-to" audio store today to audition the SR-007 and SR-009. Store turned out to be a huge disappointment. They no longer had them in stock (understandable) and were not going to continue selling, and I quote, "outdated/superceded technology". After which they tried to push my towards Audeze...Won't be visiting again any time soon.

From previous listens, I'm leaning towards the SR-007. Going to pair it with a BHSE. My preferred headphone right now is the HD800 but am afraid the SR-009 will be too similar. This time, I'd like to focus on vocals and think the BHSE/SR-007 might hit that sweetspot. Any thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back