The Stax Thread III
Feb 1, 2016 at 4:25 PM Post #7,846 of 25,568

But while we're on the topic of opinions/ideas that are hard to justify, it's always bugged me that parts of the Stax mafia were so eager/quick to ratify a "new" 009 version without (to my knowledge) having had multiple 009 units of different vintages on hand at any one time to evaluate. I've had 3 units in one place, and they all sound like the same 009 (I love them all) -- with accommodation for some sonic differences due to pad conditioning.

This concept really popped out at me going to a few meets for the first time.
For anybody that hasn't gone, I would try and get out to local meetups, they really give you a better understanding of how head-fi works. 

I'm not saying this is necessarily the case within the Stax Mafia, but people love to regurgitate what they read on here as fact.
In combination with people stating their "first hand" "experience" with products, which is actually them again regurgitating someone else's real first hand experience.

#1 Real world reviewer, which is all ymmv, based on countless factors (physiological/day to day/specific setup chain/ etc... on and on and on.
#2 Person reads that review, and purports that as their own experience in another thread.
#3 Real world meet ups with people perpetuating #2's opinion.
#4 Is there really different ratifications of the 009? We might never know :wink:

It's like the kids game telephone, we all know how that is :)

Feb 1, 2016 at 4:28 PM Post #7,848 of 25,568
  designing an amp to be able to deliver enough current has nothing to do with "voicing" an amp 

I didn't say anything about voicing.

Feb 1, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #7,849 of 25,568
  I am leaving headphones out of it because AFAIK, nobody has even attempted to design an active amp/headphone system where the headphone can only be used with its dedicated amp (possibly the new Sennheiser stat phone is an exception but AFAIK if you've got the right socket you could run it with a BHSE).

No, the new Sennheiser phone has a last amplification stage in the headset frame itself, so it has to be amplified by only that new Senn amp. It lis a shame, as they look nice and it would be great to have another 009 in the market.

Feb 2, 2016 at 3:35 AM Post #7,854 of 25,568
You are stating a lot of "facts" around here, but most , if not all, is just parroting other posts.
The above quote, which already have been pointed out just earlier, do show that you don't understand the electrostatic headphone principle very much.

This statement seems unfair to me considering:

I just published an electrostatic headphone amplifier design in AudioXpress magazine November and December, 2015 issues. It is based on the classic Stax SRX DIY design from the 1970s, with the additions of cascoded MOSFET current sources and a shunt regulated power supply. The articles include an analysis of the original SRX circuit and a rationale for the use of current sources in electrostatic headphone amplifiers.

On the other hand,

My mistake.  I didn't pay a lot of attention to the new Sennheiser because it is so far out of my price range that I didn't look at the details.

You are a gentleman in the old-fashioned way. Thank you for posting here.

Feb 3, 2016 at 6:14 AM Post #7,855 of 25,568
  We all make mistakes.

The thing Sennheiser does with it's new electrostatic headphone, is that there is no high voltage in the cable from the driver to the headphones, and by that a reduced loss of energy.
The cable only transfer low voltage power and signal.
The high voltage is generated "locally" in each of the "earcases".

It that fact? Are you sure. I can't understand how a low voltage signal can generate a high voltage bias or signal at the phones. As I read it, the phones have a final Fett stage in each frame, but the supporting circuits and current feed and down stream (fed by the amp).

Feb 3, 2016 at 7:16 AM Post #7,858 of 25,568
AFAIK, DC bias is generated by the marble-amp (never heard of the figures, probably not that far from standard 580V), but signal is below 5V, last stage amplification are those mosfets in the cups.
Main assumptions on the other place are it's a derivative from HEV-70, and we'll never see schematics from Sennheiser since they could pick over them...then make a rough statement about the design, to say the least 
redface.gif

Ali

Feb 3, 2016 at 8:01 AM Post #7,859 of 25,568
@JimL11 : Thanks for your work on the SR-X plus. I just asked a build of one for my own use an I'm super  excited to try it with my HE-60. I wondered if that SR-X plus would be a good match for a 007 as well. I'm not acknowledged enough to estimate that myself so your opinion would be warmly welcomed :) 

Feb 3, 2016 at 11:20 AM Post #7,860 of 25,568
  This concept really popped out at me going to a few meets for the first time.
For anybody that hasn't gone, I would try and get out to local meetups, they really give you a better understanding of how head-fi works. 

I'm not saying this is necessarily the case within the Stax Mafia, but people love to regurgitate what they read on here as fact.
In combination with people stating their "first hand" "experience" with products, which is actually them again regurgitating someone else's real first hand experience.

#1 Real world reviewer, which is all ymmv, based on countless factors (physiological/day to day/specific setup chain/ etc... on and on and on.
#2 Person reads that review, and purports that as their own experience in another thread.
#3 Real world meet ups with people perpetuating #2's opinion.
#4 Is there really different ratifications of the 009? We might never know :wink:

It's like the kids game telephone, we all know how that is :)

Couldn't agree more. The amount of crap that is regurgitated is hilarious.
How many people have their own thoughts on this board? Not many.
Too much emphasis on gear and not music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back