The Stax Thread III
Nov 12, 2014 at 4:53 PM Post #3,631 of 25,570
I don't think it was a BHSE that he used for the measurements. And again, please look at the before and after burn-in measurements of the exact same headphone and how they differ. :)

Plus my analysis was with Tyll's data that was averaged and that results show how much variation you got even while it was averaged.

Nov 12, 2014 at 5:08 PM Post #3,632 of 25,570
OK the difference after burn in with the same phone is 3db, but the peaks keep their shape. So statistically it is not impossible that serial and measurement variations might add up to such an difference.

Thank you, for your perseverance :D. As an engineer I wanted to find proof but the new revision of the SR-009 stays anecdotical with the data from Tylls measurement (as does burn in).

Nov 12, 2014 at 6:29 PM Post #3,634 of 25,570
Engineers are hard to get along with sometimes, we need details and data...
blink.gif

Nov 13, 2014 at 12:07 AM Post #3,636 of 25,570
Engineers designed and built the Titanic, and it went into liquidation.....

A layman built Noah's Ark, and it floated a company.

Nov 13, 2014 at 1:48 AM Post #3,637 of 25,570
  Hi fellas

I fancy some STAX for Christmas. These will be my first electrostatic headphones. I was looking at the SR-507 and SRM-006tS as that combination fits my budget and I fancy trying valves. Slightly concerned to hear the 507 are bright though. Are the 407 less so? How fussy are they about source components?

I'm thinking of buying from PriceJapan as the prices are so much cheaper than here in the UK. Am I right in thinking the 006tS sold here has an internal 230V power supply though? I'm no stranger to step-down transformers but it'll look a lot tidier without one I suppose. How often do these amps develop a fault? The lack of warranty would be a concern too. It's literally half the price though!

Thanks

I tried the SR-507 with my KGST last evening.  They go together very well. I would like to try the less expensive phones such as -207 with the KGST to see how far this synergy can go..
At a recent show I was impressed with the 207 and SRM 252.  A value package available in the UK for £745 with good support. It is not a valve amp though

Nov 13, 2014 at 2:55 AM Post #3,638 of 25,570
I tried the SR-507 with my KGST last evening.  They go together very well. I would like to try the less expensive phones such as -207 with the KGST to see how far this synergy can go.

So you have done your first built of a KGST, could you please post a picture?

Nov 13, 2014 at 6:05 AM Post #3,640 of 25,570
So far I have considered the following: Schiit Gungnir and Audio-gd NBF1. They should work well with the Stax but I have not the opportunity to try them before buying. But certainly there are also other options worthy exploring.
Hopefully someone here can give me good advice on this point.
Thanks

I have owned a number of Audio-Gd products: headphone amps, headphone amp / DAC combos, preamp, and DACs.  I've always been impressed with their products.

In particular I like their PCM1704UK- based DACs. Their current PCM1704 DAC is pricey, but you can often pick up a DAC-19 for under $500 on the used market (Head-Fi, US Audio Mart, eBay, Audiogon.)  I prefer the sound of my DAC-19 to any Wolfson WM8741 or Sabre ES9018  DAC I've heard. I prefer the PCM1704 R2R sound over the sigma-delta DACs.

Nov 13, 2014 at 9:09 AM Post #3,641 of 25,570
I would like to try the less expensive phones such as -207 with the KGST to see how far this synergy can go..
At a recent show I was impressed with the 207 and SRM 252.

When I build my KGST, I'll post my take on this, since 207+252 is my only Stax setup right now (still gathering parts, waiting for a volume pot from Japan, need to order a transformer, haven't even started with casework — might take a while). Anyway, while demoing the 207, I thought it sounded slightly better from a 006t, a kind of richer and more involving sound than with the 252 (an impressive unit for its size, to be sure). I expect (and hope) that the KGST sounds better still.

FWIW, I also compared the 207 and 407 side-by-side from the 006t. Subtle differences at best, IMO.

Nov 13, 2014 at 9:49 AM Post #3,642 of 25,570
Originally Posted by rgs9200m /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Was this the tubed or solid state version? Any more comments on the 2T would be welcome. There is not much reported on it.
Of course the sonics are the most important thing, but also: does the stepped volume control have fine enough gradations?
How much heat does it generate? Thanks in advance.

I had the LL2T  which has 4 6S4A driver tubes recessed into the case.  The tops of the tubes are not flush with the case they are recessed below so they are well protected, but are still accessible from the top.  With the lights off there is still a nice red glow through the grill; the case is well ventilated and it fit nicely on the 7" second shelf of my rack.  The tubes do warm up but heat is not a problem given a couple inches of clearance above the case.  I don't think the unit I had was fitted with the new optic volume control so I can't comment about that.  The installed volume control was very smooth, I assume it was a potentiometer.  I heard the LL2 (solid state) about a year ago and I think the addition of tubes adds a bit of smoothing and warmth which is needed for SR009's.  Another warming type upgrade, that may work wonders, would be the Audio Magic Super Premium fuse, (a step up from A/M's Super Fuse).  I was amazed when I tested the Super Fuse in my DAC.

Nov 13, 2014 at 11:08 AM Post #3,643 of 25,570
When I build my KGST, I'll post my take on this, since 207+252 is my only Stax setup right now (still gathering parts, waiting for a volume pot from Japan, need to order a transformer, haven't even started with casework — might take a while). Anyway, while demoing the 207, I thought it sounded slightly better from a 006t, a kind of richer and more involving sound than with the 252 (an impressive unit for its size, to be sure). I expect (and hope) that the KGST sounds better still.

FWIW, I also compared the 207 and 407 side-by-side from the 006t. Subtle differences at best, IMO.

As i understand the KGST is very revealing of its source (as told to me by Spritzer). So, if your source is mostly lossy files, you will hear it as such. I know. I have a KGST and my music files are mostly mp3s up to 320kbps at best and they sound at best, average. Sad but true.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back