The Stax Thread III
Aug 20, 2013 at 7:50 AM Post #17 of 25,564
Quote:
Aside - Question for mods/admin:
Quote:
Thanks. I just worked out how to find the old thread after Google decided to be unusually unhelpful.

Why does the link from the opening post of The Stax Thread (NEW) to The Stax Thread go somewhere else?

I've noticed this happens all the time with links in old threads.

The forum had a HUGE crash at the end of 2007 and after it was rebuilt all the links to threads were broken. 

Aug 20, 2013 at 8:59 AM Post #18 of 25,564
New thread =O
Anyway, was wondering what you guys thought would be a good dac pairing for an srm1mk2 running a stax sr007mk2 (with mk3 drivers).
I find my current parasound 1500 too warm with the sr007mk2 which in itself is a warm pair.

Aug 20, 2013 at 10:28 AM Post #19 of 25,564
MK3?
I know there were 2 versions of the mk1, mk2 which was moddable and mk2.5 which was not. Is mk3 different from mk2.5, or just the same thing?

Aug 20, 2013 at 10:34 AM Post #20 of 25,564
Quote:
New thread =O
Anyway, was wondering what you guys thought would be a good dac pairing for an srm1mk2 running a stax sr007mk2 (with mk3 drivers).
I find my current parasound 1500 too warm with the sr007mk2 which in itself is a warm pair.

A cold sounding DAC would be Benchmark's DACs, if that is the sound you want to pursue. I have the Mytek which is in the middle of the road between warm and cold/analytical sounding.

Aug 20, 2013 at 11:31 AM Post #21 of 25,564
Yet another new Stax thread....  Try to keep the discussion on topic and leave out all the ebay links and that crap.  Actual questions about Stax are being buried in useless discussion which is not the goal of this thread. 
Quote:
That was OT
eek.gif

Stax related: The original Lambda was made for mercedes benz to re-produce the low frequencies of the engines according to Darth-Nut.

No, it was designed for the shake test and the like all Merc's went through at the factory.  This was back when they still made the best cars in the world... 

Quote:
Stax related: Actually, the Jade has a diaphragm thickness of only 500 nm, and that is the thinnest diaphragm I have ever heard of. HE90 diaphragm is 1 um, and the thinnest Stax diaphragm is 1 um as well from my knowledge.

We have no idea what the current diaphragms are made of or even how thick they are but it is quite clear that thinner isn't always better.  That's why Stax moved back to 1.5um for the 1993/1994 lineup and then again to 1.35um for the 1998/1999 series. 

Quote:
MK3?
I know there were 2 versions of the mk1, mk2 which was moddable and mk2.5 which was not. Is mk3 different from mk2.5, or just the same thing?

There is no Mk3, they are still SZ3-1xxx

Aug 20, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #23 of 25,564
Quote:
Yet another new Stax thread....  Try to keep the discussion on topic and leave out all the ebay links and that crap.  Actual questions about Stax are being buried in useless discussion which is not the goal of this thread. 

Totally agree! At one day old, this thread already needs a severe pruning.  Perhaps there should be a thread devoted exclusively to technical issues.

Aug 20, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #24 of 25,564
To be fair, the thread's proposed subject is pretty broad in terms of Stax discussion.

I saw nothing in the OP that specifically said that it should be more focused on technical specifications as opposed to where to buy Stax hardware, particularly used stuff at lower prices.

I also saw nothing about whether discussion on personal preferences regarding which Stax gear sounds better relative to other Stax gear (particularly the numerous Lambda variants) should be permitted or discouraged.

If you all want to keep this thread on topic, it's best to set a clear, obvious guideline NOW as to what constitutes on-topic and off-topic, and whether other valid topics of discussion should be spun off into separate threads from this one.

Most of all, that guideline needs to be edited right into the original post, in big, bold text you can't overlook at a glance.

Aug 20, 2013 at 1:42 PM Post #25 of 25,564
Quote:

It's already been posted in other places before I posted it here, not to mention the fact that it's a ten-day auction and almost anyone under the sun looking for a Lambda is going to see it anyways. I figure the best I can do at this point is publicly announce the fact that I'm going to be bidding a bunch of money for it. It's not the ideal strategy, and it's kind of pathetic, but I'd be naive to rely on the powers of secrecy at this point.

After all, the last time I bid on a Lambda on eBay, someone else on Head-Fi ended up getting run up a good extra hundred dollars for nothing just because neither of us said anything about it, and almost immediately regretted making the purchase because they paid so much for it. I'm trying to avoid that situation from happening again, and I'm especially trying to avoid it happening to me.
frown.gif

So, if someone else here reads this and really, really wants that Lambda, fine. Just be prepared to pay a big price premium for it, and don't run me up for nothing if you don't want it enough to pay more than it's worth for it.

I sorta wanted those Lambda Sigs, but after hearing Tus-Chan's story about how he has no Lambdas left, will pass on this one. I will settle for a review if he wins these and save the money for a bigger amp. 

Aug 20, 2013 at 3:00 PM Post #27 of 25,564
Can I have the other thread back along with this one? Too many chronic posters posting nonsense as far as I am concerned. I would be happy if they kept their gibberish on one of the Stax threads and the other a bit more quiet and a bit more interesting.

Aug 20, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #28 of 25,564
I might as well join this thread.  Becoming such a huge fan of their stuffs these days.  KG & Birgir are a bad influence to us all.
bigsmile_face.gif

Aug 20, 2013 at 3:46 PM Post #29 of 25,564
Quote:
To be fair, the thread's proposed subject is pretty broad in terms of Stax discussion.

I saw nothing in the OP that specifically said that it should be more focused on technical specifications as opposed to where to buy Stax hardware, particularly used stuff at lower prices.

I also saw nothing about whether discussion on personal preferences regarding which Stax gear sounds better relative to other Stax gear (particularly the numerous Lambda variants) should be permitted or discouraged.

If you all want to keep this thread on topic, it's best to set a clear, obvious guideline NOW as to what constitutes on-topic and off-topic, and whether other valid topics of discussion should be spun off into separate threads from this one.

Most of all, that guideline needs to be edited right into the original post, in big, bold text you can't overlook at a glance.

It's supposed to cover everything Stax related but what was going on lately in the old thread was just too much.  Going way off topic and the same idiotic discussion going in endless circles was just too much.  Granted it was only a few offenders and if it picks up again then asking for them to be banned from the thread would be the next step.  This brings nothing to the discussion, adds nothing new so why should it be tolerated?  Go post in the entry level Stax thread out there in the wasteland... 

Quote:
I might as well join this thread.  Becoming such a huge fan of their stuffs these days.  KG & Birgir are a bad influence to us all.
bigsmile_face.gif

We aren't that bad... honest... 
redface.gif

Aug 20, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #30 of 25,564
Quote:

It's supposed to cover everything Stax related but what was going on lately in the old thread was just too much.  Going way off topic and the same idiotic discussion going in endless circles was just too much.  Granted it was only a few offenders and if it picks up again then asking for them to be banned from the thread would be the next step.  This brings nothing to the discussion, adds nothing new so why should it be tolerated?  Go post in the entry level Stax thread out there in the wasteland... 

We aren't that bad... honest... 
redface.gif

Allow me to rephrase.  Good influence but bad on the wallet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back