The Stax Thread III
Sep 23, 2023 at 12:01 AM Post #24,361 of 25,660
Does anyone have experience with 007 mk2.9 versus mk2.95?

Sounds like 2021 on is considered different than the 2015-2020ish years (or so)

Is it really worth hundreds extra to end up with a 2.9 to mod?
The have revised the earpads, otherwise they should be the same, the driver revision happened earlier.
Having a 2.95 is simply an assurance that you have the current version, while others might be more difficult to spot because of non-linear serial numbers.

Sep 23, 2023 at 1:49 AM Post #24,362 of 25,660
Hey all

Just bought myself a pair of Stax SR-007mk2 and looking for a reasonably priced amp to go with them. There some second hand stuff around that I could go with but was wondering peoples thoughts. I could go the STAX SRM-400s or STAX SRM-727mk2 or KGSS Mini second hand.

Any thoughts as to if any of these would pair up well or if I have to look further.

Note I’m a mixing / mastering engineer so need something transparent

Thanks
If you intend to use corrective EQ, then a 727 might be sufficient, although you need to perform a relatively simple feedback mod to it. It was this exact set that I sold last time and the buyer seemed really pleased with them after EQ.
Otherwise, the better aftermarket solid-state amp you get, the more balanced the sound becomes, with a Carbon the low-end comes up to a level where it feels that it is sufficiently strong (according to Bob Katz's review at least, and I can confirm that there is a degree of thinness 'removed' from the sound with more power). The standard KGSSHV (somewhere between a KGSS and a Carbon) might represent the best price/performance ratio.

(This is assuming that you will perform the port modification on the headphones as well, which will make the bass more controlled and linear.)

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2023 at 12:13 AM Post #24,363 of 25,660
If you intend to use corrective EQ, then a 727 might be sufficient, although you need to perform a relatively simple feedback mod to it. It was this exact set that I sold last time and the buyer seemed really pleased with them after EQ.
Otherwise, the better aftermarket solid-state amp you get, the more balanced the sound becomes, with a Carbon the low-end comes up to a level where it feels that it is sufficiently strong (according to Bob Katz's review at least, and I can confirm that there is a degree of thinness 'removed' from the sound with more power). The standard KGSSHV (somewhere between a KGSS and a Carbon) might represent the best price/performance ratio.

(This is assuming that you will perform the port modification on the headphones as well, which will make the bass more controlled and linear.)
Thanks for your response. I read that Bob Katz article so thanks for pointing that out. Lots of handy eq tips as well. The Carbon is pretty pricey indeed but maybe a cheaper Stax alternative may work well as well. I've also been advised that a modified Stax SMM T1 (modded by Mojnir) could well suit these headphones. I've also had an offer on a JR Audio KGSS Mini but can't find much information on the unit itself so unsure that it would be sufficient.

Sep 25, 2023 at 12:18 AM Post #24,364 of 25,660
Thanks for your response. I read that Bob Katz article so thanks for pointing that out. Lots of handy eq tips as well. The Carbon is pretty pricey indeed but maybe a cheaper Stax alternative may work well as well. I've also been advised that a modified Stax SMM T1 (modded by Mojnir) could well suit these headphones. I've also had an offer on a JR Audio KGSS Mini but can't find much information on the unit itself so unsure that it would be sufficient.

Stay away from Jr Audio. They are literal fire hazards and not real Kgss / etc.

007 imo needs kgsshv minimum. You'll have bass distortion at 85db+ on lower power amps in my experience.

Sep 25, 2023 at 12:49 AM Post #24,366 of 25,660
Stay away from Jr Audio. They are literal fire hazards and not real Kgss / etc.

007 imo needs kgsshv minimum. You'll have bass distortion at 85db+ on lower power amps in my experience.
Ok great. Thanks. Will do. I don't want to be setting my studio on fire in the near future. I'll check the KGSS HV. Looks like I may have to save up for a while!

Oct 8, 2023 at 9:48 PM Post #24,368 of 25,660
Not much new here in Stax land!

Oct 8, 2023 at 10:16 PM Post #24,369 of 25,660
Nope

Oct 9, 2023 at 4:22 AM Post #24,370 of 25,660
There will soon be a new amplifier available from Soren. All solid state. I have a mockup here and it sounds absolutely great, can IMO compete with the best amps I tried so far. I will write about my findings soon.

Oct 9, 2023 at 6:09 AM Post #24,371 of 25,660
There will soon be a new amplifier available from Soren. All solid state. I have a mockup here and it sounds absolutely great, can IMO compete with the best amps I tried so far. I will write about my findings soon.
More or less crazy than the Circlotron?

Oct 10, 2023 at 7:19 AM Post #24,375 of 25,660
I believe it is based on the circlotron though correct? It's like a mini-kg circlotron mixed with the carbon design?
And fill in the rest of the class so we all don’t have to ask 😁

Users who are viewing this thread

Back