The Stax Thread III
May 6, 2014 at 5:01 PM Post #2,266 of 25,522
  I think that if people stood near a piano or violin played with gusto that they would find them overly bright at times if they were sensitive to treble.

If the amp and the headphones accurately reproduce that level of sound, they naturally tend to blame the amp, headphone or both rather than the source material as the problem area.

Very true. Sharpness / brightness can be a desired part of a record if the musician and/or engineer wants it to be there.

May 6, 2014 at 6:00 PM Post #2,267 of 25,522
Age is probably not the answer. Listening preference (music type and volume) probably is.

Also, someone with hyperacousis (could be in his/her 20s/30s/40s and this is becoming a very popular disease) would certainly not enjoy an hd800 or sr009 at moderate/high volume level, nor could they stand nearby a real trumpet for very long.

Arnaud

May 6, 2014 at 6:20 PM Post #2,268 of 25,522
It's a mental thing.  Ever notice how the best performing amplifiers (i.e. can't knock them for their technical prowess) are only described as 'bright'?  Can't think of any labeled as 'dark'. 

I don't like amps described as bright or dark since it doesn't make sense to me...I think it depends on the load interaction between headphone and amp.

May 6, 2014 at 6:55 PM Post #2,269 of 25,522
  It's a mental thing.  Ever notice how the best performing amplifiers (i.e. can't knock them for their technical prowess) are only described as 'bright'?  Can't think of any labeled as 'dark'. 

I don't like amps described as bright or dark since it doesn't make sense to me...I think it depends on the load interaction between headphone and amp.

Boom headshot.

May 6, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #2,270 of 25,522

I've always wondered what Stax is using for voicing behind-the-scenes.

The only option in their pedigree that would be ostensibly comparable to aftermarket solutions would be the SRM-T2 but I can't fathom them maintaining a unit in-house for that long and making R&D/voicing judgments with it.

If (big if) one were to determine with complete certainty that the SR-009 was voiced with the SRM-727 for example, it would make a bit more sense. For one, the pairing doesn't have particularly offensive treble. Additionally, they still sell the SRM-727 so it would be sensible from a business standpoint as well  In other words since the SRM-T2 is long gone now, it wouldn't make sense for them to design products with it when it no longer represents a viable source of additional revenue.

I have no idea if this was covered or disclosed in the Stax interview.

May 6, 2014 at 8:53 PM Post #2,271 of 25,522
I go to plenty of live classical music performances, either orchestral, piano or chamber music.
To my ears, the 009 is the closest thing to being there and that is my comparison, rather than amplifier to amplifier.
Classical music up close, including violin and piano can be quite loud, and yes, at times strident. Try some Brahms or Shostakovich if you are close to the performers.

May 6, 2014 at 10:00 PM Post #2,272 of 25,522
  I've always wondered what Stax is using for voicing behind-the-scenes.

The only option in their pedigree that would be ostensibly comparable to aftermarket solutions would be the SRM-T2 but I can't fathom them maintaining a unit in-house for that long and making R&D/voicing judgments with it.

If (big if) one were to determine with complete certainty that the SR-009 was voiced with the SRM-727 for example, it would make a bit more sense. For one, the pairing doesn't have particularly offensive treble. Additionally, they still sell the SRM-727 so it would be sensible from a business standpoint as well  In other words since the SRM-T2 is long gone now, it wouldn't make sense for them to design products with it when it no longer represents a viable source of additional revenue.

I have no idea if this was covered or disclosed in the Stax interview.

Arnaud or Currawong would know as that was one of the questions in the Stax interview.  I think they use the 727 and 007t but I'm not completely sure. 

May 6, 2014 at 10:33 PM Post #2,273 of 25,522
And before that, according to the interview write-up, they used the T1. But they also suggest they design the headphone from a technical perspective first, and then add the amp later to field test to verify - so I didn't get the sense that they "voice" their headphones to any particular amp. I also seem to recall that they don't restrict their listening to the base amps when developing new HPs, but I can't sift through the various threads that it could have been stated in, so is best left to one of the authors/interviewers involved to clarify.

May 6, 2014 at 11:08 PM Post #2,274 of 25,522
I personally find even the Omega to be rather strident on the KGSSHV. It is not to the point of being harsh, but audibly annoying.

That's just for me personally. To frame this into context, I'm a rather young lad with treble sensitivity who finds the stock HD 800 intolerable. To make my admittedly flippant prior remark (re: generation gaps) sound a little more reasonable, I don't know of a gentleman who enjoys the SR-009 + KGSSHV pairing that's not younger than their late 30s or so -- presbycusis?
>

Im 25 and I dont have any problems with the HV with the 009s, I think it sounds pretty excellent. The treble might be a bit more present than some other high end cans, but never once did i ever think it was too bright or even close to painful of any sort. the treble is so smooth on the 009s...

May 7, 2014 at 12:16 AM Post #2,275 of 25,522
^^ - second this. My 009 sounds close to perfection on my KGSSHV - definitely no strident highs. (Though I've heard it even better on a BHSE).

(But then, I never found the HD800 to be harsh as well. I love the HD800s with my current B22 (4channel balanced), and I've heard it even better on the GSX MKii).

As usual - YMMV (variables include source, clean power, cabling etc.)

May 7, 2014 at 3:17 AM Post #2,276 of 25,522
Full disclosure: I currently use modded HD800s out of a 2A3 MKIV.

However, I'd like to second what 3X0 is saying. I've spent a bit of time with the 009s on the KGSSHV and the treble really turned me off. I actually lived with the 007 mk1 + KGSSHV for a while and then sold the whole kit n kaboodle. During my period of ownership I had a chance to demo the 009s extensively several times and I walked away every time preferring the SR-007 MK1s.

My reference point is multiple series annually at Davies Symphony Hall for years and years. I actually got to hear the amazing MTT/SFS Mahler cycle in person and I use those recordings quite a bit in my evaluation of gear because even after more than a decade, I still remember the experience vividly.

May 7, 2014 at 3:25 AM Post #2,277 of 25,522
Since using the Psvane EL34PH's with my BHSE, my 009's sound unbelievably good, in fact I'm not that bothered about listening to anything else. I also have the LCD-XC's which I use with my GS-Xmk2, but I hardly listen to that combo since using the PH's.
That wasn't the case when I was using the stock Mullard's and SED's with my BHSE, at that time I was listening to my LCD-XC / GS-X more than my 009 / BHSE.

While using both the stock Mullard's and SED's, my 009's sounded bright, but with the PH's I find there's no such problem, just headphone bliss.

May 7, 2014 at 7:39 AM Post #2,280 of 25,522
  I just bought a pair of Stax DA100M amps from Japan fairly blind. Looks to me like some of the Rca jacks were replaced at some point. Hoping they will be in good working modern condition. I can't make total sense of the Japanese translation but it sounded to me like I bought a pair in good working condition from probably a reseller with 1 slightly bent speaker jack. I bought off Buyee. Would somebody that understands Japanese well mind taking a look at the Buyee link and or the Yahoo link and briefly help me understand how it was described and if the seller seems like he would really know if they work properly? I am just really curious not that it make a difference now. I am thinking they will be amps for Apogee ribbon speakers one day.

http://buyee.jp/item/yahoo/auction/k171454526    http://page9.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/k171454526

Hi Jay, it would be a good idea to check for weak soldering points. I got my pair about 10 years ago with one not working. It was only a bad solder joint. These babies get quite hot and switching them on & off can deteriorate the soldering after some years. Also always replace the smaller elcos, Panasonics are a good replacement.

The DA-100M did great with my Martin Logan CLS IIz until I tried DIY tube monos from a friend later on. They beat the Staxen IMO. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back