The Stax Thread III
May 6, 2014 at 9:20 AM Post #2,251 of 25,523
I got my SR-009's from PriceJapan and there was a delay when they got to UK customs, but I didn't have a problem with PriceJapan.
To what I recall, from ordering to PriceJapan sending my 009's took about 3 weeks, but the delay at UK customs seemed to be around 2 or 3 weeks.
If you're getting concerned, send PriceJapan an email.
I send them a few emails, they are still saying the same thing, not sure when stock is available, if I can't wait , I can opt for a full refund.

May 6, 2014 at 9:56 AM Post #2,252 of 25,523
  I agree. I don't understand how people cope with KG designs on the SR-009 unless they have older and/or less treble-sensitive ears.

It's really quite the elephant in the room IMHO.

Now you are trying to create a generational divide? 
rolleyes.gif

Some opinions are just that. Opinions. And this one is non sense.

May 6, 2014 at 10:06 AM Post #2,253 of 25,523
Now you are trying to create a generational divide? :rolleyes:  
Some opinions are just that. Opinions. And this one is non sense.
Oh, please. :rolleyes:

Even dude_500 remarked on the perceived brightness of the one of the KG designs with the SR-009, and he's designed some very well-voiced DIY-statics.

It's not an uncommon sentiment, but given the vitriolic reflexes that tend to be the order of the day when such estimations are expressed, it's certainly an "unpopular" one. The defensive reflex is no less silly than the facetious nature of my remark, albeit in a different way.

The KG designs are best suited to the SR-007. I actually really like them with the Mk1.

May 6, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #2,255 of 25,523
Oh, please.
rolleyes.gif

Even dude_500 remarked on the perceived brightness of the one of the KG designs with the SR-009, and he's designed some very well-voiced DIY-statics.

It's not an uncommon sentiment, but given the vitriolic reflexes that tend to be the order of the day when such estimations are expressed, it's certainly an "unpopular" one. The defensive reflex is no less silly than the facetious nature of my remark, albeit in a different way.

The KG designs are best suited to the SR-007. I actually really like them with the Mk1.

The idea that KG amps are bright is held by some, but is not a consensus, and many feel otherwise.
The 009 does just fine (actually quite nicely) with the KGSSHV and KGSS, as well as the BH

May 6, 2014 at 12:10 PM Post #2,256 of 25,523
I have not heard the 009 but your remark (and similar opinions) makes me feel great about my recent KGSSHV purchase. That with my 007 mk1 just makes for engrossing musical listening sessions.

Now the 009 and KGSSHV is an engrossing pairing!

May 6, 2014 at 12:29 PM Post #2,257 of 25,523

The idea that KG amps are bright is held by some, but is not a consensus, and many feel otherwise.
The 009 does just fine (actually quite nicely) with the KGSSHV and KGSS, as well as the BH

Indeed, that's well stated.

I personally find even the Omega to be rather strident on the KGSSHV. It is not to the point of being harsh, but audibly annoying.

That's just for me personally. To frame this into context, I'm a rather young lad with treble sensitivity who finds the stock HD 800 intolerable. To make my admittedly flippant prior remark (re: generation gaps) sound a little more reasonable, I don't know of a gentleman who enjoys the SR-009 + KGSSHV pairing that's not younger than their late 30s or so -- presbycusis?

It would be rather brazen of me to suggest that the sample size isn't tiny though -- after all, well-aged gentleman are typically the population who are inclined to drop the coin on these amplifiers to begin with whereas whippersnappers (like myself) are busy pinching their pennies.

Again, I prefer the KGSSHV with the SR-007Mk1.

May 6, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #2,258 of 25,523

I personally find even the Omega to be rather strident on the KGSSHV. It is not to the point of being harsh, but audibly annoying.

That's just for me personally. To frame this into context, I'm a rather young lad with treble sensitivity who finds the stock HD 800 intolerable. To make my admittedly flippant prior remark (re: generation gaps) sound a little more reasonable, I don't know of a gentleman who enjoys the SR-009 + KGSSHV pairing that's not younger than their late 30s or so -- presbycusis?

It would be rather brazen of me to suggest that the sample size isn't tiny though -- after all, well-aged gentleman are typically the population who are inclined to drop the coin on these amplifiers to begin with whereas whippersnappers (like myself) are busy pinching their pennies.

Again, I prefer the KGSSHV with the SR-007Mk1.

That's still pretty generally broad. I find the HD800 rather bright as well, however the mk 1 on the KGSSHV is really no where near bright or annoying.
Further, the 009 is pretty damn magical and yes, just a tad bright. I'm hoping I'll get use to it because it's no where near as problematic as the HD800.

Oh yea, I'm 24 btw. So now you know someone 'of age' that defies your generalization.

May 6, 2014 at 12:51 PM Post #2,259 of 25,523
  That's still pretty generally broad. I find the HD800 rather bright as well, however the mk 1 on the KGSSHV is really no where near bright or annoying.
Further, the 009 is pretty damn magical and yes, just a tad bright. I'm hoping I'll get use to it because it's no where near as problematic as the HD800.

Oh yea, I'm 24 btw. So now you know someone 'of age' that defies your generalization.

I don't just find the HD 800 bright, I find it intolerable.

The Mk1 on the KGSSHV is very good. I never suggested it being bright.

Yes, the SR-009 isn't as bad as the HD 800. It doesn't have to be bright -- I've heard it rather agreeable sometimes.

Thanks for that counterpoint. Have you tried the SR-009 on, say, the EC Electra?

May 6, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #2,260 of 25,523
That is, the SR-009 with the KGSSHV is not a problem, which you adamantly disagree with. Comparative to the mk 1, for example, yea, it's a tad bright. However compare that to the HD800 it's really nothing.

I might have some thick ears because I somewhat enjoyed certain aspects of the HD800 with Mojo/Gun so I know bright.

I've heard good things about the Electra, however I haven't heard it. I'd probably stick with KG designs i.e. BHSE. 

May 6, 2014 at 1:04 PM Post #2,261 of 25,523
I've only had my KGSShv for a short time but so far I don't find it bright. Well extended? Definitely. Not colored or mushy or smoothed over? Nope, none of those. I love it with my 007. I definitely hear the improvement over the various Stax amps I've recently tried (including 727, 007t, 323, SRA-12S, and 600LTD) as well as the WES and original Liquid Lightning. KGSShv is on a completely different level compared to those models imho. 

The 009 is an amazing headphone (earspeaker?) but I do find it a little bright for my taste. Consequently, I could see wanting to run it with a slightly smoother amp. I'm not really sure what amp that might be though.... The WES with the right tubes would do the job to some degree but it kinda falls apart with certain music in my experience.

May 6, 2014 at 1:30 PM Post #2,262 of 25,523

I don't know of a gentleman who enjoys the SR-009 + KGSSHV pairing that's not younger than their late 30s or so -- presbycusis?

I don't fit the generalization either I'm 31 and I don't mind my 009/kgbh combo's amount of high freqs. I mean if the source material is strident, it's certainly not going to change that and I would reach my mk1.
I had a lot of younger people than me listen to my rig at the NC meet a few weeks back too and none complained about the kg amp and 009 being overly bright, well at least to me anyway

May 6, 2014 at 1:48 PM Post #2,263 of 25,523
I think that if people stood near a piano or violin played with gusto that they would find them overly bright at times if they were sensitive to treble.

If the amp and the headphones accurately reproduce that level of sound, they naturally tend to blame the amp, headphone or both rather than the source material as the problem area.

May 6, 2014 at 2:42 PM Post #2,264 of 25,523

That's just for me personally. .....

Then you can safey save your money as the 009 sounds quite similar in the top end on the the T2 as it does on the KGSSHV. I therefore doubt you would enjoy your Omega (which has been reputed by some to have a somewhat bright top end when properly amped) on the T2 either. But I normally listen at low volume levels (where people around me cannot hear anything coming from the headphones), whether it be the 007MKI or 009.

What i normally find is the problem when I can't stand listening (at higher volumes) is the source material (or the source), is not well suited to listening with headphones.

May 6, 2014 at 3:08 PM Post #2,265 of 25,523
  I think that if people stood near a piano or violin played with gusto that they would find them overly bright at times if they were sensitive to treble.

Yes, the violin has harmonics that extend into the top of our threshold of hearing.

I would be curious, again, to see a comparison of the measurements of the SR-007 and SR-009 from the SRM-T1, SRM-717, KGSSHV, BHSE, ECE, et alia. Realistically I'm only concerned about the linear and nonlinear performance above 1KHz as the higher registers have been my only pain point with the KGSSHV.

Such would help me better understand what I perceive. It's quite possible the Omega off "lesser" amplifiers has diminished performance in the upper registers that I find desirable for my listening needs. I would be comfortable with that outcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back