The Stax Thread III
Sep 5, 2020 at 7:00 PM Post #19,051 of 25,493
Hello Guys,

I am planning to get myself a pair of 009's, but I do not have an amp to drive them. I have posted a classified here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/wtb-electrostatic-amp.941673/#post-15846397, but just mentioning if anyone here has a used amp that is under $5000 USD you can offer me. Ships to NY, USA. (T2 anyone?)

Not really wanting to DIY since mouser parts are mainly from China, and the shipping is slowed by the pandemic, plus literal virus threat. And so DIY is not preferred.

Lastly, I do want to know if anyone here can compare hd820 with 009's. Thank you for looking!

BTW, do I need a preamp with lets say the KGSSHV or something alike?
You absolutely will not grasp a T2 for that budget.

Plenty of alternatives.

Search the For Sale forum for a Carbon.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2020 at 7:41 PM Post #19,053 of 25,493
Hello Guys,

I am planning to get myself a pair of 009's, but I do not have an amp to drive them. I have posted a classified here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/wtb-electrostatic-amp.941673/#post-15846397, but just mentioning if anyone here has a used amp that is under $5000 USD you can offer me. Ships to NY, USA. (T2 anyone?)

Not really wanting to DIY since mouser parts are mainly from China, and the shipping is slowed by the pandemic, plus literal virus threat. And so DIY is not preferred.

Lastly, I do want to know if anyone here can compare hd820 with 009's. Thank you for looking!

BTW, do I need a preamp with lets say the KGSSHV or something alike?

Kerry lives in the NYC area. You could contact him at another website - not sure if I'm allowed to name it but if you PM me I can tell you. He builds pretty much all the KG amps. Also a used BHSE should be within your budget. A used T2 would be at least twice what you want to pay. All of those amp can be fed directly from the source without the need of a preamp.

Sep 5, 2020 at 7:52 PM Post #19,054 of 25,493
Thanks guys, didn't see the response was on a second page. Didn't know the T2 was that expensive. The thing with Birgir is he is shipping from Ice land last time I got a cable from him, so I am not sure how much extra it is know to ship it to USA because of the pandemic.

Sep 5, 2020 at 8:00 PM Post #19,055 of 25,493
Thanks guys, didn't see the response was on a second page. Didn't know the T2 was that expensive. The thing with Birgir is he is shipping from Ice land last time I got a cable from him, so I am not sure how much extra it is know to ship it to USA because of the pandemic.
I just had a 30lb amplifier shipped from Sweden to the US FedEx Priority for $269 to give you a reference. A few bucks to realize your endgame. :sweat_smile:

Sep 5, 2020 at 9:16 PM Post #19,057 of 25,493
What are you guys's opion on high-amp.de?
It seemed like worth trying out. I did contact he is unwilling to make any for US voltage. He does have the parts lists and drawings available for the units, but while I am able to solder, I don't feel I could troubleshoot if ang went wrong. I think the only thing I did not see on his site was the info to get the cabinetry. The Sirius looked like an interesting unit. You would have to get a voltage converter to use it though unless you were able to use it in Europe or had the ability to modify it.

Sep 5, 2020 at 10:05 PM Post #19,058 of 25,493
Kerry lives in the NYC area. You could contact him at another website - not sure if I'm allowed to name it but if you PM me I can tell you. He builds pretty much all the KG amps. Also a used BHSE should be within your budget. A used T2 would be at least twice what you want to pay. All of those amp can be fed directly from the source without the need of a preamp.
I did PM you, mind sending me his contacts? And what would be his price?
Ps. Does Woo amps actually hurt the HPs?

Sep 5, 2020 at 10:52 PM Post #19,059 of 25,493
Hey guys, glad to find this Stax thread! I've had a Stax L300 Limited Edition for a while which IIRC is supposed to be equivalent to the L700, with this custom mod I did to further improve soundstage and bass. It's paired with my Stax SRM-1 MKII which, although is in good condition, to me it's just always been lacking in the bass quantity & impact, and especially in dyanmics. @Pahani I read your interest in this energiser and if you want I can sell it to you after finding a good replacement. It does have excellent detail and soundstage, but to me it's really lacking in dynamics / slam; as well as bass but I believe that's a trait of the headphone design.

I need advice on an upgrade to my SRM-1 MK2 please. My budget is no more than $1500 and I'm especially interested in the standalone transformer concept, that way I can fine-tune the sound by trying its' synergy with various speaker amps. I'm seeking a somewhat darker sound, with much improved dynamics or 'slam' to the drums, but keeping a good soundstage and detail. I'm aware of the Mjolnir SRD-7 option, but was told from other users that amp synergy is very difficult to achieve like only 2/10 pairing well.

However Mjolnir Audio has told me they're having supply issues getting Lundahl transformers, and other users told me the standard SRD-7 is not as transparent as the Lundahl version (does that go under a different model number)? Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2020 at 2:59 AM Post #19,060 of 25,493
Hello all, I just join the ESTAT's STAX game :D

I first got the Nectar Sound The Hive, and now wanted to try STAX, so I got me the L700 MKII and, I am super happy with the L700 so far!

Sep 6, 2020 at 3:32 AM Post #19,061 of 25,493
Hey guys, glad to find this Stax thread! I've had a Stax L300 Limited Edition for a while which IIRC is supposed to be equivalent to the L700, with this custom mod I did to further improve soundstage and bass. It's paired with my Stax SRM-1 MKII which, although is in good condition, to me it's just always been lacking in the bass quantity & impact, and especially in dynamics.
I need advice on an upgrade to my SRM-1 MK2 please. My budget is no more than $1500
You could wait for another used SRM-727II, one literally just got sold here for like 750$ or maybe less, it is almost like it's given away at that price.
It is really not bad at all, especially after the feedback mod, which is quite simple to do (but it is only SR-007 which is a particularly bad match without the feedback mod, the rest might be Ok for some people as-is)
I have gotten an SRM-1 Mk2 recently, it is quite decent for the price, but the SRM-727II is a good improvement in terms of dynamics and extension.
There is also the highly regarded SRM-717 which is fairly close to it, needs no modding at all and it is a little bit warmer still (slightly more bass), slightly more diffused but similarly good dynamics.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2020 at 12:25 PM Post #19,062 of 25,493
I did PM you, mind sending me his contacts? And what would be his price?
Ps. Does Woo amps actually hurt the HPs?

PM sent. No idea on pricing, depends on what amp you are interested in. The potential issue with Woo amps is the bias safety resistor is not always the same as what Stax uses, which is around 5 megohms. Woo seems to be much more casual in terms of using different values or omitting it, at least in the past, according to spritzer (aka Mjolnir Audio).

Sep 6, 2020 at 12:35 PM Post #19,063 of 25,493
Hey guys, glad to find this Stax thread! I've had a Stax L300 Limited Edition for a while which IIRC is supposed to be equivalent to the L700, with this custom mod I did to further improve soundstage and bass. It's paired with my Stax SRM-1 MKII which, although is in good condition, to me it's just always been lacking in the bass quantity & impact, and especially in dyanmics. @Pahani I read your interest in this energiser and if you want I can sell it to you after finding a good replacement. It does have excellent detail and soundstage, but to me it's really lacking in dynamics / slam; as well as bass but I believe that's a trait of the headphone design.

I need advice on an upgrade to my SRM-1 MK2 please. My budget is no more than $1500 and I'm especially interested in the standalone transformer concept, that way I can fine-tune the sound by trying its' synergy with various speaker amps. I'm seeking a somewhat darker sound, with much improved dynamics or 'slam' to the drums, but keeping a good soundstage and detail. I'm aware of the Mjolnir SRD-7 option, but was told from other users that amp synergy is very difficult to achieve like only 2/10 pairing well.

However Mjolnir Audio has told me they're having supply issues getting Lundahl transformers, and other users told me the standard SRD-7 is not as transparent as the Lundahl version (does that go under a different model number)? Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

So, options within your budget. The standard SRD-7 is standard bias only. The SRD-7 Mk II or Pro has pro bias. A standard SRD-7 can be converted to have pro bias if you are willing to do a little DIY or have someone do it for you.

Of the standard Stax amps, the SRM-323 is the least expensive, the SRM-717 is probably the best stock amp. These are supposed to be better than the SRM-1 but I can't address how they do with respect to dynamics and bass from personal experience as I have not heard them. The SRM-727 is a bit better if the global feedback mod is done (DIY, or I believe Justin at HeadAmp can do it if he sells you the amp). I personally prefer a modded SRM-T1 series with CCS mod to the 727, if you are willing go do some DIY or have someone do it for you, but it is also old enough that it would need the electrolytic caps replaced also. A T1 that is further modded to use ECC99 tubes is reportedly a little better yet (about 10% more current capability) but I have not heard one so cannot say from personal experience.

Sep 7, 2020 at 12:23 AM Post #19,064 of 25,493
You could wait for another used SRM-727II, one literally just got sold here for like 750$ or maybe less, it is almost like it's given away at that price.
It is really not bad at all, especially after the feedback mod, which is quite simple to do (but it is only SR-007 which is a particularly bad match without the feedback mod, the rest might be Ok for some people as-is)
I have gotten an SRM-1 Mk2 recently, it is quite decent for the price, but the SRM-727II is a good improvement in terms of dynamics and extension.
There is also the highly regarded SRM-717 which is fairly close to it, needs no modding at all and it is a little bit warmer still (slightly more bass), slightly more diffused but similarly good dynamics.
Thanks for your advice, will look out for a good deal on those, probably leaning closer towards the 717 since you said it's a warmer sound, but hopefully not enough to make it dark or lacking detail with the L300 L.E.'s (limited edition)? And can you explain what you mean by 'diffused' (not a common term I guess)? And did you mean the feedback mod may only be useful on the likes of SR-007 - or may it have any good effect on these Lambda's too? The initial rig I heard the L300 L.E.'s on was the newer Stax SRM-D50 energiser and I was actually quite impressed, liking the sound much better than with my SRM-1 MKII. Am I correct in assuming the 717 or 727II are received as being even better than the D50?

@JimL11 looks like you agree with Padam on a few points. Do you have any opinions on my questions above too?
And that's interesting you prefer a Stax tube amp (SRM-T1). I've always thought e-stat headphones always sound better with a little tube buffer in the chain, and these have them internally. Would you mind to explain your preference for this over the 727, in what ways is it better to you? And which SRM-T1 model would you recommend?

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2020 at 2:15 AM Post #19,065 of 25,493
Thanks for your advice, will look out for a good deal on those, probably leaning closer towards the 717 since you said it's a warmer sound, but hopefully not enough to make it dark or lacking detail with the L300 L.E.'s (limited edition)? And can you explain what you mean by 'diffused' (not a common term I guess)? And did you mean the feedback mod may only be useful on the likes of SR-007 - or may it have any good effect on these Lambda's too? The initial rig I heard the L300 L.E.'s on was the newer Stax SRM-D50 energiser and I was actually quite impressed, liking the sound much better than with my SRM-1 MKII. Am I correct in assuming the 717 or 727II are received as being even better than the D50?

Yes, there amps should be a good improvement over the D50 and are good until you go to the DIY route, which lift up the constraints of Stax amps (a more compact footprint, lower power consumption, readily available mass-market parts, etc.).

Check out this review to have a better idea:
https://positive-feedback.com/Issue12/staxomega.htm

And here is another opinion:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-stax-thread-new.223263/page-670#post-5448390

Here is another one:
https://www.stereophile.com/content/stax-sr-007-omega-ii-electrostatic-headphones-page-3

As you can see there is a ton of information but because the sum of all Stax threads are like several thousand pages long, it needs some digging up. Although interestingly if you scroll down just a little, you can see another different opinion on it, it is always going to be subjective and the KGSS was the original version, there has been a lot of revisions since then (although the pricing has gone to very high levels as well, in the past, even an old Blue Hawaii wasn't that much more expensive than a Stax amps).

In my experience, the modified SRM-727II is a little tighter, more controlled (less midbass) and better separated than the SRM-717.
But I would like to emphasise that the two are very similar after modding, just a slight bit more refined, neutral-warm, where the highs gently start to rub off a little. It is the extreme frequencies where the limitations of Stax amps are most apparent.

What I mean that the SRM-727II becomes more linear after the mod, in theory it is not good to have the it without global feedback, but in practise it may not sound bad with certain headphones. It is a an odd design choice that may work for some people.

By the way, I also have the SRM-T1S here (not modded) and it is even more open and warmer than the SRM-727
It is more impressive when you compare the two amplifiers side-by-side because the midrange is sweeter, the sound is warmer, more relaxed (there is added tube bloom to the bass which makes it better at lower volumes) and it has a more open space.
However, there are some things with the solid-state amps that grows on you over time (it is flatter but cleaner, more dynamic and it has a blacker background)

I think people's opinions may heavily differ when they are switching between headphones, amps or DACs, "vigorously" looking for differences between them, compared to just listening to a particular setup for a long period of time, living with that kind of sound, and evaluate it from that point-of-view. A headphone meet where you have noise (which I think is a very big distraction) and an ever shorter amount of time is an even more extreme example.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back