The Stax Thread III
Aug 29, 2020 at 11:28 AM Post #19,021 of 25,560
However, according to KG, the amp becomes current limited at high frequencies around 150 V. That means it's maximum volume in the 10 kHz to 20 kHz range will be limited to around 104 dB.
Thank you @T3RIAD for mentioning that the 'high volume' at which the SRM-353x becomes current-limited was quantified by KG as 150 V.
Now I know when the effect (whether noticeable or not) would kick in for this amp.
The sensitivity of the SR-007, the most difficult of the current Stax lineup to drive, is 100 dB / 100 V at 1 kHz.
The impedance of the SR-007 is 170 kOhm, the capacitance 94 pF.
The SR-1, L700, 009, 009s have 145 kOhm and 110 pF. So, there is some difference in the physical parameters.

There is not really a difference in sensitivity among all of them (it is allways 100 or 101 dBSPL@100V), so the sensitivity would not explain why the 007 is difficult to drive.
Could you please explain in what way the "difficulty to drive" is experienced with the 007? Thank you.

Aug 29, 2020 at 3:46 PM Post #19,022 of 25,560
First visit to this thread, would anyone know the model of Stax headphones I have ...
seems an odd question but they were bought back in 1990 bundled with an SRM -Xh energiser ..
wondering if one or both is worth keeping or do the newer headphones and energisers sound way better ?

It's possibly a Stax SR Lambda Pro Classic

Your amp was introduced in 1992 and these were bundled with it.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2020 at 5:12 PM Post #19,023 of 25,560
There is not really a difference in sensitivity among all of them (it is allways 100 or 101 dBSPL@100V), so the sensitivity would not explain why the 007 is difficult to drive.
Could you please explain in what way the "difficulty to drive" is experienced with the 007? Thank you.

I think because of it's darker sound signature, it has to be played louder to have the same perceived volume.

Aug 30, 2020 at 2:03 AM Post #19,025 of 25,560
@RKarim

The AK4493EQ accepts up to 768kHz PCM data and 22.4MHz DSD data

Aug 30, 2020 at 5:19 PM Post #19,028 of 25,560
The impedance of the SR-007 is 170 kOhm, the capacitance 94 pF.
The SR-1, L700, 009, 009s have 145 kOhm and 110 pF. So, there is some difference in the physical parameters.

I'm not sure why this comes up so often or why it's so controversial. But specs aside, plug the 007 into any amp and it's harder to drive than the 009 and others. It just is, and it has nothing to do with sound signature or anything. That said, it's a very unique stat that I really, really enjoy.

Aug 30, 2020 at 11:45 PM Post #19,029 of 25,560
I'm currently running an L700 mk2 with an srm 252s. Eventually I want to sell that amp with an L300 that is blu tak modded and has l700 pads + a stepdown converter as a set. I will need a new amp. The stax srm353x, mjolnir octave v2, and mjolnir tiny triode are all in the same price range. Which of those amps do you think would work best with the L700? Any other amps that I should take into consideration? My dac is a topping d30.

Aug 31, 2020 at 4:05 AM Post #19,030 of 25,560
I'm not sure why this comes up so often or why it's so controversial. But specs aside, plug the 007 into any amp and it's harder to drive than the 009 and others.
I wonder whether your question "why this comes up so often or why it's so controversial" refers to me asking several questions on the 007 and 009(s) or whether you refer to a long list of forum members who have asked the same question before.

Concerning myself, I just want to get a better understanding of the limitations of a Stax system and the areas where Stax excells.
Then I can listen carefully for these areas in an audition before I make a purchase decision.

Besides the obvious physical requirements to match headphone and amplifier (like impedance and sensitivity of headphone and max power and current of amp) I have no idea what the difficulty to drive a headphone means.
It just is, and it has nothing to do with sound signature or anything.
If this is true then my attempt to get a better understanding via physical parameters in this thread is likely to be not successful.
Anyway, this would be a learning for me, too.

Thank you to all forum members who contributed to my questions in this thread so far.

Aug 31, 2020 at 1:59 PM Post #19,032 of 25,560
Finally I developed and manufactured a board for CCS-MOD for my SRM-600. I'm starting to solder the parts :)

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ccs-mod-for-stax-srm-600.941255/

CCS-mod is complete. Briefly: trebles became more detailed, medium are the same, bass became are more dense and textured. I am happy :) I would like to once again say my most heartfelt thanks to Dr. Kevin Gilmore, Mr. J. Lin, Mr. Mjölnir aka spritzer and all people who inspired with their experience and passion.

DSC03734.JPG

Sep 1, 2020 at 1:23 AM Post #19,035 of 25,560
I wonder whether your question "why this comes up so often or why it's so controversial" refers to me asking several questions on the 007 and 009(s) or whether you refer to a long list of forum members who have asked the same question before.

Concerning myself, I just want to get a better understanding of the limitations of a Stax system and the areas where Stax excells.
Then I can listen carefully for these areas in an audition before I make a purchase decision.

Besides the obvious physical requirements to match headphone and amplifier (like impedance and sensitivity of headphone and max power and current of amp) I have no idea what the difficulty to drive a headphone means.

If this is true then my attempt to get a better understanding via physical parameters in this thread is likely to be not successful.
Anyway, this would be a learning for me, too.

Thank you to all forum members who contributed to my questions in this thread so far.

My apologies, has nothing to do with you and that wasn't really directed at you. It just comes up quite frequently, and as someone that has the 007, 009 and others.. and 3 stax amps it sometimes makes me feel like I'm losing my mind when it's questioned so constantly lol

Stepping back, I think there's the argument that many are making that you don't need a $5k amp to power the 007 or even 009. That much I think is true, and there's a lot of good amps and bargains out there. But unless something is wrong with my amps, the 007 is definitely a little (nothing extreme or crazy, just noticeably) harder to drive.. so I just don't get why it's a constant topic of conversation. But again, something could be wrong with my amps or me in general lol..

Lastly, I'll say that while I see the purpose in analyzing specs, graphs, etc.., nothing beats your hearing and real life experimentation. Try as much as you can to find out directly for yourself.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back