The Stax Thread III
Jun 3, 2020 at 11:27 AM Post #18,661 of 25,493
I've modded SRM-007t for using 6S4A, but no sound from R channel.
Next I swapped 1 tube on right side, then I heard distorted sound from both side.
Offset measured -30V on both channel.

Is this likely the tube problem?

edit: Problem solved. I forgot to cut one wire on R side.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2020 at 1:50 PM Post #18,662 of 25,493
I have now obtained both the SRD-X and SRD-X Pro. Sound wise, they're basically the same. Though I haven't done lengthy testing to really try to distinguish a difference. Build and design wise? Well they're actually rather different. The SRD-X has a mostly metal body and uses a screw to open and close the battery compartment. It also has a 6.5mm cable connected to the end of it. It also came with a different power brick. (Output 12v 200mA) The SRD-X was released in 1979. The SRD-X Pro on the other hand was made in 1986. The body is entirely made of plastic other than the RCA inputs at the back. The power brick included is also the same as the SRM-X Pro in the background. (12V 400mA) In the pictures, left is SRD-X, right is SRD-X Pro.
IMG_20200603_121916.jpg
IMG_20200603_121938.jpg
IMG_20200603_122009.jpg
IMG_20200603_124615.jpg

Just something that was interesting to me.

Jun 3, 2020 at 7:49 PM Post #18,663 of 25,493
This is such a perverse forum :)
Sure, you have "sponsors", so sure, given time enough the posters will come (by force of repetition, or force alone) to match the quality or approach of the content sponsored. Repetition and wear..
You add the trends of our time and that this forum does seem to gravitate towards the younger or less privileged, again sure, much of what one comes to read is to be expected really.

Nonetheless, seeing certain "audio" brands' equipment in the same pic with Stax products? Really hits me.
Everytime.

Not bashing anyone in specific here mind, just mentioning it as this is the upteenth time i've had this thought.
Also not bashing any single brand in specific, as within that certain category (heavy PR, expectations set a-priori, 'smart' marketing, cheap Chinese-made SMD crap, software alchemies to fool the ear because we cannot into the analogue, etc etc) lies a legion of brands. All of them, literally all of them, amazingly popular 'round here for somde reason!
(some of the local "heroes" too, they also push certain SMD-ridden devices; very constantly and very self-servingly. Even though they aren't 'sponsors' themselves incidentally, important this)
And i remain as shocked by all this now, as i was decades ago; as this not only carries on, it's in fact worsening and expanding, as a phenomenon.

So wholeheartedly, best intentions meant and i sincerely mean it, stop buying crap, stop buying altogether for a little bit.

Go to a many live concerts and listen. Listen to the viola, the contra, the cymbals, take note of how your ears get to define space when your eyes are closed and how whern they're open and you're looking at 'x' specific spot. Listen to how dramatically different an accoustic performance is from one that is not. Listen to how vocals travel inside a theatre, in open space, with or without instuments to accompany them.
Listen to how a synthesizer affects your perception of depth, figure out why. Listen to how real drums sound up close on a live Jazz quartet, pay attention to which sounds your brain perceives as travelling 'faster' to you than others.
That accursed "bass" of yours (yours figuratively), listen to how it sounds, when and if you can actually hear it, in reality.

See if maybe, just maybe, you have all this time been missing the point. If just maybe, you're listening to cheap, uninformed interpretations of a musical piece, rather than the piece itself.
And if maybe, pre or non-SMD ridden sources, as cheap as 150ish euros a pop can with a bit of technical upgrading love sound more natural than anything you've thus far owned.

Most of you folks here don't utilise..capitalise..make worth.. of half of what your Stax units are capable of.
And you never will until you start focusing on your source.

* of course, nothing's perverse here at all; Stax owners are just like Fostex or Audeze or you-name-it-"classy" brand name owners. Brand doesn't make you, your experiences and perception do alone. Most people i've come to find? Happy to spend, not very keen on listening. For those precious few however that actually do want to listen, really listen? Stop buying what you see here and start putting your money on some live tickets.

My humble apologies for going off topic here and as always, feel free to dismiss this entirely.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2020 at 8:48 AM Post #18,664 of 25,493
Query whether "no profit" means "after deducting an appropriate payment for my time working on it" - in which case the question would be how much "quasi-profit" they are taking. But the statement "we give away our designs and free time to help others" suggests that they aren't even being paid for their time.
Stax mafia definitely has profit on their products, no doubt. It is need to pay attention to salaries in Island. Their salaries are much higher than in continental Europe. Even for example, a lunch for one person costs 50 euros instead of 20-25 in Germany or other western Europe country. From here you need to think about how much a person should earn by doing this hobby that we are discussing here. Perhaps from this the prices that are set by an Icelandic company. In this sense, it would be much cooler if enthusiasts from Russia or Romania or Poland would build the same good products for the market for electrostatic headphones.

Jun 5, 2020 at 9:55 AM Post #18,666 of 25,493
This is such a perverse forum :)
Sure, you have "sponsors", so sure, given time enough the posters will come (by force of repetition, or force alone) to match the quality or approach of the content sponsored. Repetition and wear..
You add the trends of our time and that this forum does seem to gravitate towards the younger or less privileged, again sure, much of what one comes to read is to be expected really.

Nonetheless, seeing certain "audio" brands' equipment in the same pic with Stax products? Really hits me.
Everytime.

Not bashing anyone in specific here mind, just mentioning it as this is the upteenth time i've had this thought.
Also not bashing any single brand in specific, as within that certain category (heavy PR, expectations set a-priori, 'smart' marketing, cheap Chinese-made SMD crap, software alchemies to fool the ear because we cannot into the analogue, etc etc) lies a legion of brands. All of them, literally all of them, amazingly popular 'round here for somde reason!
(some of the local "heroes" too, they also push certain SMD-ridden devices; very constantly and very self-servingly. Even though they aren't 'sponsors' themselves incidentally, important this)
And i remain as shocked by all this now, as i was decades ago; as this not only carries on, it's in fact worsening and expanding, as a phenomenon.

So wholeheartedly, best intentions meant and i sincerely mean it, stop buying crap, stop buying altogether for a little bit.

Go to a many live concerts and listen. Listen to the viola, the contra, the cymbals, take note of how your ears get to define space when your eyes are closed and how whern they're open and you're looking at 'x' specific spot. Listen to how dramatically different an accoustic performance is from one that is not. Listen to how vocals travel inside a theatre, in open space, with or without instuments to accompany them.
Listen to how a synthesizer affects your perception of depth, figure out why. Listen to how real drums sound up close on a live Jazz quartet, pay attention to which sounds your brain perceives as travelling 'faster' to you than others.
That accursed "bass" of yours (yours figuratively), listen to how it sounds, when and if you can actually hear it, in reality.

See if maybe, just maybe, you have all this time been missing the point. If just maybe, you're listening to cheap, uninformed interpretations of a musical piece, rather than the piece itself.
And if maybe, pre or non-SMD ridden sources, as cheap as 150ish euros a pop can with a bit of technical upgrading love sound more natural than anything you've thus far owned.

Most of you folks here don't utilise..capitalise..make worth.. of half of what your Stax units are capable of.
And you never will until you start focusing on your source.

* of course, nothing's perverse here at all; Stax owners are just like Fostex or Audeze or you-name-it-"classy" brand name owners. Brand doesn't make you, your experiences and perception do alone. Most people i've come to find? Happy to spend, not very keen on listening. For those precious few however that actually do want to listen, really listen? Stop buying what you see here and start putting your money on some live tickets.

My humble apologies for going off topic here and as always, feel free to dismiss this entirely.

What's an SMD?

Jun 5, 2020 at 6:16 PM Post #18,668 of 25,493
Stax mafia definitely has profit on their products, no doubt. It is need to pay attention to salaries in Island. Their salaries are much higher than in continental Europe. Even for example, a lunch for one person costs 50 euros instead of 20-25 in Germany or other western Europe country. From here you need to think about how much a person should earn by doing this hobby that we are discussing here. Perhaps from this the prices that are set by an Icelandic company. In this sense, it would be much cooler if enthusiasts from Russia or Romania or Poland would build the same good products for the market for electrostatic headphones.
A built in china kgsshv could be had for 1300-1500 usd. Half what mjolnir chargers. A carbon for 2000.

Jun 5, 2020 at 6:59 PM Post #18,669 of 25,493
The Stax amps are not the best IMO. If you are comfortable with DIY creations, there are many alternatives that sound better.

Jun 5, 2020 at 8:51 PM Post #18,670 of 25,493
A built in china kgsshv could be had for 1300-1500 usd. Half what mjolnir chargers. A carbon for 2000.
The question is whom is the China builder. That is all that matters.

Go look at the other place and see the recent horror from the incompetence of Japan building. :smile:

Jun 5, 2020 at 9:55 PM Post #18,671 of 25,493
It used to be you could also find a respected builder in the USA / Canada to build a KGSShv for those prices (a bit higher than 2K for a Carbon, to be sure), and NOT screw anything up like many of the Chinese builds. I don't know about now. But sure, a KGSShv at the Iron Iceland price - absolutely not worth it, no (but ask him a stupid question and the ensuing abuse is FREE). Hit up the used market if you're in the 2K - 3K price range, and check the pedigree of builder.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2020 at 11:08 PM Post #18,672 of 25,493
It used to be you could also find a respected builder in the USA / Canada to build a KGSShv for those prices (a bit higher than 2K for a Carbon, to be sure), and NOT screw anything up like many of the Chinese builds. I don't know about now. But sure, a KGSShv at the Iron Iceland price - absolutely not worth it, no (but ask him a stupid question and the ensuing abuse is FREE). Hit up the used market if you're in the 2K - 3K price range, and check the pedigree of builder.
Yea I miss remembered the prices for a carbon. More like 3k or a little less if you can negotiate well.

Jun 6, 2020 at 10:41 AM Post #18,673 of 25,493

I do not know why there is all this controversy over Icelandic prices. It really is quite simple. One decides what they want to spend and they then go out and find a vendor at their price point to spend it with. Why does there need to be any denigrating of Birgir's prices. Do people know what the cost of parts are in Iceland? Do they know the import tariffs on imported components? Do they know the taxation system? In other words no one knows anything about what the cost of doing business is in Iceland - so stop ranting on about it.

As for the comment about "ensuing abuse on the forum" - that is quite a mystery to me - a rather funny one at that. I have posted about 3 times on said forum and have witnessed some of the bakers comments. He is definitely a Dr. Jeckyl and Mr. Hyde. When it came to dealing directly with him arranging the purchase of my Carbon I have never come across a more responsive, helpful or understanding person. An absolute PLEASURE to do business with - and a much higher standard of service than others I have encountered here Stateside.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2020 at 1:17 PM Post #18,674 of 25,493
I do not know why there is all this controversy over Icelandic prices. It really is quite simple. One decides what they want to spend and they then go out and find a vendor at their price point to spend it with. Why does there need to be any denigrating of Birgir's prices. Do people know what the cost of parts are in Iceland? Do they know the import tariffs on imported components? Do they know the taxation system? In other words know one knows anything about what the cost of doing business is in Iceland - so stop ranting on about it.

As for the comment about "ensuing abuse on the forum" - that is quite a mystery to me - a rather funny one at that. I have posted about 3 times on said forum and have witnessed some of the bakers comments. He is definitely a Dr. Jeckyl and Mr. Hyde. When it came to dealing directly with him arranging the purchase of my Carbon I have never come across a more responsive, helpful or understanding person. An absolute PLEASURE to do business with - and a much higher standard of service than others I have encountered here Stateside.

I dont have an issue with brigir's prices. I have an issue with people deciding that the market price for a carbon gets inflated because of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back