The Stax Thread III
Jun 12, 2019 at 10:14 PM Post #17,732 of 25,539
Care to share which tracks (and format) and at which time you heard fingers on guitar strings with the Voce that you could not hear with the 009? Would be helpful.
Sorry to say I can't find the exact time, however try listening to these tracks.
Alison Krauss - "When you say nothing at all" and "baby, now that I've found you" and "Every time you say goodbye", Flac is what I have. There just seems to be more texture to the instruments to me in addition to the fingers hitting the strings. YMMV

There are some good examples I don't think you would have in your library like Choro Club's - Rainbow -choro version for Aria the origination sound track or the acoustic version of Rainbow from Aria the Animation original soundtrack.

Another one would be Dan's suggestion Ne Viden by Scann-Tec on Tidal.

Jun 13, 2019 at 4:44 PM Post #17,736 of 25,539
Jun 16, 2019 at 8:19 AM Post #17,738 of 25,539
Battle of the Closed Back Giants:

36014961in.jpg

A miracle happened and I got the possibility to get a Stax 4070 of the last series with improved headband adjustment in best condition.

Maybe 200 pieces were built. Many of them already ruined in recording studios. In such a top condition and still original with the first cushions there is perhaps still a handful in the world and to get these a difficult undertaking as I had to determine myself.

You also have to be careful with the 4070, that possibly changed pads, which fit on the fabric side (all Lambda pads fit) on the 4070, but the template headphone side for the double-sided tape just does not fit. This must be cut to size, otherwise it will cover some areas and the headphones will sound much worse.

The 4070 plays in contrast to the 009 meatier with more bass. A Lambda but with bass.:) A 007 is warmer with even more bass and further the king of Stax.

The isolation is on Stellia level with even less leakage to the outside. It sounds amazingly open with an impressive three-dimensionality for a closed and tidy fundamental as well as bass.

With classical music, however, no other of my headphones except the Mysphere has a chance against the 4070 - that's already clear. Terrific! Jazz fabulous! Metal, that's fun with punchy bass!

I now had all closed headphones except the R10. Stellia and 4070 are clearly the locking tips of the closed series!

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2019 at 10:19 PM Post #17,739 of 25,539
Hey all my Denafrips Terminator came in today. I have only listened to it for about an hour and a half, but I can honestly say this is by far the best dac I have ever heard. Before this I had no idea a dac could have this much impact. Every single aspect of the sound is better. Just unreal. I will post more later.

p.s. @Trance_Gott that 4070 looks incredible.

Jun 19, 2019 at 11:33 AM Post #17,740 of 25,539
Battle of the Closed Back Giants:

..... Stax 4070 of the last series with improved headband adjustment in best condition.

....I now had all closed headphones except the R10. Stellia and 4070 are clearly the locking tips of the closed series!

Thomas,

Congrats to your successful “Grand Finale of your Treasure Hunt”. :)

What is new in the design of the head band for your model of the 4070 ?
(My older model – around 2005 or so – was indeed rather uncomfortable)

And re: “Best of Closed”: did you had a chance to listen to the AT- L5000 ? (This one is still missing in my personal “Best Of Closed list” )

Regards

Urs

Jun 19, 2019 at 4:27 PM Post #17,741 of 25,539
Hi Urs,

for my understanding the headband of the first batch of 4070 is more stiff and the cups had another angle. In the other forum (not allowed to post here) there is a image showing early vs new one.
I heared a lot of ATs all were not in the class of Stellia and 4070. But I never heared L3000 maybe it's better but I don't believe such good like the other 2.

@Dan Lee: Thanks I'm so happy to get a 4070:)

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2019 at 8:14 PM Post #17,742 of 25,539
Local stereo stores were a thing back then.
I had a local tech hifi in my massachusetts college town that i used to drop in on (late 1960s).
I've had stax headphones since my junior year of college.
At the time, I used my Kenwood receiver to power the Stax engerizer.

Jun 19, 2019 at 8:19 PM Post #17,743 of 25,539
Jun 19, 2019 at 9:20 PM Post #17,744 of 25,539
Jun 19, 2019 at 9:31 PM Post #17,745 of 25,539
Hey all my Denafrips Terminator came in today. I have only listened to it for about an hour and a half, but I can honestly say this is by far the best dac I have ever heard. Before this I had no idea a dac could have this much impact. Every single aspect of the sound is better. Just unreal. I will post more later.

p.s. @Trance_Gott that 4070 looks incredible.
Yeah? Makes you wonder why some people are so stubborn with their believe that all dacs and amp sound the same...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back