The Stax SRM-002 mod thread
Sep 8, 2021 at 12:30 AM Post #47 of 53
nice.
I'd also suggest using a thick wire to connect the charger modules "- out" to a nearby ground pad on the 002 board, this serves as an anchor to at least pin the board down in one corner.

suggestion, further improvements:

*** convert the volume control to "shunt volume control" style. I have posted some info on the selection of input resistor in the small stax amp mod thread.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sma...ier-modification-thread.766837/#post-11608320

good candidates are Shinkoh tantalum ($3 each from Partconnexion) and Vishay Z foil (VAR naked through-hole $16; Z-foil SMD $14, Z foil throught-hole $20, from mouser, digikey). There should be enough space under the PCB to hide the resistors.
Vishay VAR, mouser
Vishay z foil SMD, mouser
Z foil will sound a little better, but in this basic mod package the main bottle neck is the PPS input cap (selected due to available space.... a compromise), I think Shinkoh is more than good enough here. I don't know which is easier to get in your area. maybe the Vishay Z foil is not that much more expensive due to shipping cost differences.

*** Regulate the LV+ and LV-, using low-drop-out regulators. power extraction/reinsertion points at the R40/R41 location.
XC6902 negative LDO reg, SMD
There are many many SMD positive LDO regs to pick from.

*** since the space next to the volume pot is not occupied, add a pair of fancy film cap to by-pass the PPS input caps to smooth out the highs. AudioCap Theta 0.01uf will fit into that space.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2021 at 10:56 PM Post #49 of 53
I like to use 50~70% of pot value for input resistor in a shunt volume control.

the smd LDO regulators I was thinking about are simple 3-lead SMD devices, no support components required. Place them at R40 R41 locations, they are lower profile than the tantalum caps nearby.

Not sure if the WIMA would help, need to test out first.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back