The Stax SR-L500 and SR-L700 Impressions Thread
Nov 4, 2022 at 9:55 AM Post #1,771 of 1,866
Part (5)
Swapping cables on the 500(2).
Coin flip result: H=SR-L500Mk.2 cable

IMG_20221027_092009900.jpg IMG_20221027_092105548.jpg

SR-L500 Mk.2 w/stock cable:

The last line of my listening notes probably sums it up best: "just enough of everything".

The least midrange-forward of the bunch (yet not lacking in the portrayal of vocal intimacy). The 500(2)'s general sense of speed and timing strikes me as the best of the three under review. The 500(2)'s overall frequency, tonal and dynamic balance is my favorite, too. Not the last word in detail, refinement, subtlety or resolution (that distinction belongs to the 700(2)), but there is something very engaging and at the same time relaxing/settling about the 500(2) that makes me to tend to keep them on longer than either the 300 or the 700. Bass is solid and present, mids are clear and detailed (though not as wet and smooth as the 700(2)), treble is detailed enough to allow me to easily hear sonic differences based on gear changes (most notably switching from single-ended to balanced with the Gustard). Nothing seems overly emphasized or unduly absent. The 500(2) are, to me, the best all-rounder of the three as well. While layering is excellent with the 500(2), the 700(2) do it better. However, when the recording allows, I can get a greater sense of spaciousness with the 500(2). Of the three, for my ears, the 500(2) seem to have the "Goldilocks" factor.

Part (6)
SR-L500 Mk.2 w/SR-L700 Mk.2 cable:

A sense of better imaging, separation/differentiation and focus. Quieter background. More detail. Greater sense of in-between air/space. Transients are better articulated.
Loss of transparency ("see-through" quality) and coherency with gains in tonal intensity/coloration. Everything seems a bit more buttoned down and tidy, perhaps a touch harder compared with the stock cable. Brass has more natural sheen and bite.
On less than adequate recordings, treble (more detailed but less forgiving) can become strident/piercing. Midrange gains detail and incisiveness. Bass definition and extension improve.

A worthwhile exchange/experiment. Not sure I would completely give up the overall balance, synergy and non-fatiguing ease that seem to come part-and-parcel with the stock cable, though. To my ears, the L500 + L700 cable do give the stock L700Mk.2 a (very) good run for the money.

Will be auditioning the L500Mk.2+L700Mk.2 cable for the rest of the evening. This combination seems to sound better and better the more run time they get.

Current Status:
Right now, it's a toss-up between the 500 and 700. For some reason or another, I find the 300 to be a bit uncomfortable and fatiguing. [Have not tried the SoCas CanMod on anything yet, either.]

Rank ordering--at the moment, from most favorite to least favorite:
(1) SR-L500Mk.2 w/L700Mk.2 cable*
(2) SR-L700Mk.2 w/stock cable*
(3) SR-L500Mk.2 w/stock cable
(4) SR-L300LE

*The #(1) and #(2) rankings could go either way at any given time.

UPDATE 1: May need a re-do. The Cardas Clear Light and XLO Signature 3.2 XLR cables have arrived, which means I can go balanced out of the Gustard X18 now. Just put in the Cardas XLR, and all I can say is: "Wow!" Truly transformative!

UPDATE 2: Will be taking a short hiatus from the Stax to give the cables time to settle down (and to spend some time with other headphones).

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2022 at 2:58 AM Post #1,773 of 1,866
Part (5)
Swapping cables on the 500(2).
Coin flip result: H=SR-L500Mk.2 cable

IMG_20221027_092009900.jpg IMG_20221027_092105548.jpg

SR-L500 Mk.2 w/stock cable:

The last line of my listening notes probably sums it up best: "just enough of everything".

The least midrange-forward of the bunch (yet not lacking in the portrayal of vocal intimacy). The 500(2)'s general sense of speed and timing strikes me as the best of the three under review. The 500(2)'s overall frequency, tonal and dynamic balance is my favorite, too. Not the last word in detail, refinement, subtlety or resolution (that distinction belongs to the 700(2)), but there is something very engaging and at the same time relaxing/settling about the 500(2) that makes me to tend to keep them on longer than either the 300 or the 700. Bass is solid and present, mids are clear and detailed (though not as wet and smooth as the 700(2)), treble is detailed enough to allow me to easily hear sonic differences based on gear changes (most notably switching from single-ended to balanced with the Gustard). Nothing seems overly emphasized or unduly absent. The 500(2) are, to me, the best all-rounder of the three as well. While layering is excellent with the 500(2), the 700(2) do it better. However, when the recording allows, I can get a greater sense of spaciousness with the 500(2). Of the three, for my ears, the 500(2) seem to have the "Goldilocks" factor.

Part (6)
SR-L500 Mk.2 w/SR-L700 Mk.2 cable:

A sense of better imaging, separation/differentiation and focus. Quieter background. More detail. Greater sense of in-between air/space. Transients are better articulated.
Loss of transparency ("see-through" quality) and coherency with gains in tonal intensity/coloration. Everything seems a bit more buttoned down and tidy, perhaps a touch harder compared with the stock cable. Brass has more natural sheen and bite.
On less than adequate recordings, treble (more detailed but less forgiving) can become strident/piercing. Midrange gains detail and incisiveness. Bass definition and extension improve.

A worthwhile exchange/experiment. Not sure I would completely give up the overall balance, synergy and non-fatiguing ease that seem to come part-and-parcel with the stock cable, though. To my ears, the L500 + L700 cable do give the stock L700Mk.2 a (very) good run for the money.

Will be auditioning the L500Mk.2+L700Mk.2 cable for the rest of the evening. This combination seems to sound better and better the more run time they get.

Current Status:
Right now, it's a toss-up between the 500 and 700. For some reason or another, I find the 300 to be a bit uncomfortable and fatiguing. [Have not tried the SoCas CanMod on anything yet, either.]

Rank ordering--at the moment, from most favorite to least favorite:
(1) SR-L500Mk.2 w/L700Mk.2 cable*
(2) SR-L700Mk.2 w/stock cable*
(3) SR-L500Mk.2 w/stock cable
(4) SR-L300LE

*The #(1) and #(2) rankings could go either way at any given time.

UPDATE 1: May need a re-do. The Cardas Clear Light and XLO Signature 3.2 XLR cables have arrived, which means I can go balanced out of the Gustard X18 now. Just put in the Cardas XLR, and all I can say is: "Wow!" Truly transformative!

UPDATE 2: Will be taking a short hiatus from the Stax to give the cables time to settle down (and to spend some time with other headphones).
Thanks for the comprehensive write up.

When I got my Yulong D18 and connected it via Sommer balanced XLR cables it transformed the 353X.
To the extent that I would not run it any other way.

Nov 10, 2022 at 3:27 PM Post #1,774 of 1,866
Ultimately, I am opting for the SR-L700 Mk.2 for their richer tonality, greater level of detail, improved depth, clarity and overall refinement. Could be 95% as content with the SR-L500 Mk.2 + L700Mk.2 cable (or maybe even without the 700(2) cable).

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2022 at 5:06 PM Post #1,775 of 1,866
Thanks for the comprehensive write up.

When I got my Yulong D18 and connected it via Sommer balanced XLR cables it transformed the 353X.
To the extent that I would not run it any other way.
Am running the XLO Signature S3-2 XLR from DAC-to-amp (Gustard X18-to-Mjolnir KGSS HV) at the moment. Really nice synergy with the SR-L700 Mk.2. Huge soundstage, very detailed and incisive from top-to-bottom but not at all fatiguing.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2023 at 9:59 AM Post #1,779 of 1,866
Does any US user of the l700 have a good recommendation for a headphone case that’s not super expensive?
Look into the Apache cases at Harbor Freight (or similar hardshell cases). You can customize the foam inside to fit your headphone perfectly.

Mar 10, 2023 at 8:27 PM Post #1,781 of 1,866
I'm back. For some stupid reason (or maybe out of necessity as I have other hobbies) I sold my Ares II DAC, and I'm not really using my STAX combo (L700 Mk2 and SRM-353x).
I kinda want to either sell the combo and get over it, move on with my life, or keep it and get a new, different DAC. I have the RME ADI 2 FS in mind. I know that it has a lot of options (plus also being an amp for regular headphones), the EQ is a bit of PITA to configure, it's very german in that sense, plus it has a remote control. The ARES II, you pretty much set it once, leave it plugged and never touch it again.
On the STAX combo side: Should I upgrade the amp or it is good as it is regardless of the DAC? I have the SRM-007TA in mind. I sorely missed the opportunity to get the SR-007 Mk2 earspeakers for a pretty good price from a local salesman, but I doubted that my SRM-353x amp would be a good match for the 007.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2023 at 11:50 AM Post #1,782 of 1,866
I'm back. For some stupid reason (or maybe out of necessity as I have other hobbies) I sold my Ares II DAC, and I'm not using my STAX combo (L700 Mk2 and SRM-353x).
I kinda want to sell the combo and get over it, or keep them and get a different DAC. I have the RME ADI 2 FS in mind. I know that it has a lot of options (plus also being an amp for regular headphones), the EQ is a bit of PITA to configure, it's very german in that sense, plus it has a remote control. The ARES II, you pretty much set it once, leave it plugged and never touch it again.
On the STAX combo side: Should I upgrade the amp or it is good as it is regardless of the DAC? I have the SRM-007TA in mind. I sorely missed the opportunity to get the SR-007 Mk2 earspeakers for a pretty good price from a local salesman, but I doubted that my SRM-353x amp would be a good match for the 007.
Lol im exactly in the same spot. Im not really using my L700 and T2 amp anymore, will sell my ARES II for IFI IDSD PRO stack and getting maybe LCD-4 or hifiman ARYA stealth.
RME ADI 2 FS isnt on my list. Not really competing with ARES II. You need to go higher, to the +2000$ and beyond. One choice to me is Gustard R26.

Mar 11, 2023 at 12:03 PM Post #1,783 of 1,866
Lol im exactly in the same spot. Im not really using my L700 and T2 amp anymore, will sell my ARES II for IFI IDSD PRO stack and getting maybe LCD-4 or hifiman ARYA stealth.
RME ADI 2 FS isnt on my list. Not really competing with ARES II. You need to go higher, to the +2000$ and beyond. One choice to me is Gustard R26.
What don't you like about the L700 driven by a T2? I would have thought they'd be way better than an LCD-4 or Arya Stealth.

Mar 11, 2023 at 1:03 PM Post #1,784 of 1,866
What don't you like about the L700 driven by a T2? I would have thought they'd be way better than an LCD-4 or Arya Stealth.
Its not bad but i need more BASS. With classical music its about the best you can get but on heavy and electric music something is missing.

Mar 11, 2023 at 2:57 PM Post #1,785 of 1,866
Its not bad but i need more BASS. With classical music its about the best you can get but on heavy and electric music something is missing.
Similar story. Ares II -> Khozmo Acoustic Pre -> SRM-700T -> SR-L700 MkII lacks the bass of a mid-range planar. Just demoed an SR-007MkII and it comes close to bridging the gap. Upgraded the fuses in my Ares II & power cable and that's added some "menace" to the bass.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back