The Stax SR-L500 and SR-L700 Impressions Thread
Mar 11, 2023 at 8:18 PM Post #1,786 of 1,866
What don't you like about the L700 driven by a T2? I would have thought they'd be way better than an LCD-4 or Arya Stealth.
Yeah, even with the blu-tak mod, the L700 is still pretty lean on the bass, at least that's so with mine's being powered by the 353x. I'm currently testing the combo plugged directly to my PC card (ASUS Maximum X Hero Wifi AC) and EQ with APO using a preset specifically for blutak-modded L700. It still sounds good.
I kinda miss my Ares II but I think that my STAX combo deserves better, or something different.
I also have the Schiit Bifrost 2 in mind, which it appears to have a bit more bass than the ARES II, in exchange of less soundstage.
On the combo side. I dunno if it's a good idea to switch to a tube amp, like a SRM-007TA, or I'm crossing my fingers that the loca mad lad that had the SR-007 Mk2 cans didn't sell them and will put them back on sale once again.
I almost sold my combo for 1000 US Dollars. I backed off just intime, I won't let them go for so little money.

EDIT: Although, current ARES II owners are claiming that the latest firmware update improves the sound quality in a very noticeable way. So, I'm rethinking into getting one again.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2023 at 6:51 PM Post #1,787 of 1,866
Oh, and looking for local deals on DACs and Headphones. One has a PS Audio NuWave DAC for sale. Like the ARES II, it has DSD support.
Has anyone of you tested that DAC with a STAX combo? How it fares against comparable DACs?
On a review from 2021 that compares it with the Topping D90 and the DENAFRIPS ARES II, the reviewer still prefers the NWD over the other two. The ARES II is very close to the NWD, but the latter has better details and dynamics.
Granted, his NWD has a ESS SABRE chip, whereas the one that I found on sale has a Burr Brown PCM1798 chip. I know that implementation is important, probably more so than what chip the device has.
For starters, since it's a local dealer, I just buy it, with free shipping, and I get it at either my doorstep or the closest pick up point in less than a week (I usually choose the latter since I don't like waiting for a courier and I have an excuse for going for a walk). If I have to order a new ARES II from DENAFRIPS I have to do it thru an importer, and that takes time and more money.

Mar 15, 2023 at 6:01 PM Post #1,789 of 1,866
I'm still reading through the hundreds of pages in this thread...but is there a consensus regarding the sound differences between MK1 and MK2 L700 models?

From what I've seen so far, it seems the MK2 is slightly warmer and intimate sounding? Soundstage not as wide or diffused? Is this accurate?

Also, is the L300 limited still worth getting? Even if it uses L700 drivers, is the resolution/detail and presentation on the same level? They cost nearly as much as a used L700...but the build quality is not as good.

Mar 15, 2023 at 11:04 PM Post #1,790 of 1,866
I'm still reading through the hundreds of pages in this thread...but is there a consensus regarding the sound differences between MK1 and MK2 L700 models?

From what I've seen so far, it seems the MK2 is slightly warmer and intimate sounding? Soundstage not as wide or diffused? Is this accurate?

Also, is the L300 limited still worth getting? Even if it uses L700 drivers, is the resolution/detail and presentation on the same level? They cost nearly as much as a used L700...but the build quality is not as good.
I've had both L700, and I think the MK2 is indeed a tad warmer. It's a very good headphone for the price. But the MK1 is perfectly fine, too.

Apr 21, 2023 at 3:08 AM Post #1,791 of 1,866
is there a consensus regarding the sound differences between MK1 and MK2 L700 models?
My question, exactly! I saw one guy saying the only change with MK2 was the metal yokes.

If either version of L700 are only slightly brighter than L500, it should be fine for me. I loved hearing L500 for the first time at AXPONA, off a Z10e, which I'm planning to get with L500 & L700.

Apr 24, 2023 at 10:03 AM Post #1,792 of 1,866
My question, exactly! I saw one guy saying the only change with MK2 was the metal yokes.

If either version of L700 are only slightly brighter than L500, it should be fine for me. I loved hearing L500 for the first time at AXPONA, off a Z10e, which I'm planning to get with L500 & L700.
L700 is darker than L500, not brighter.

Apr 24, 2023 at 10:28 AM Post #1,793 of 1,866
Would switching to an SR-007 Mk2 (from the last couple years) be an upgrade from my L700?
I run it off of a Mjölnir Audio KGSS Klassik, but it's starting to annoy me because it makes occasional noises (Birgir thinks it's due to dust in the drivers).

Thanks

Apr 24, 2023 at 12:32 PM Post #1,794 of 1,866
Would switching to an SR-007 Mk2 (from the last couple years) be an upgrade from my L700?
I run it off of a Mjölnir Audio KGSS Klassik, but it's starting to annoy me because it makes occasional noises (Birgir thinks it's due to dust in the drivers).

Thanks
You may not like the tuning as much, I guess that really depends on personal preferences. With that being said, at the price the 007mk2 pops up for used, or even new, its a really good headphone. Build and comfort is better than the L700, but it is more bassy, warmer, and has less treble presence than the L700. If you are open to EQ, the 007mk2 adapts well to it, and you could tweak it to be a less warm brighter headphone (how I ended up preferring it.) All just imo and what not.

I've not heard the KGSS Klassik, but from the specs it seems it would work well. If you really want to rock out and have the most control over the low end a KGSSHV (or other) would be worth checking out at some point, but only if you really felt the curiosity and need.

Apr 24, 2023 at 12:36 PM Post #1,795 of 1,866
You may not like the tuning as much, I guess that really depends on personal preferences. With that being said, at the price the 007mk2 pops up for used, or even new, its a really good headphone. Build and comfort is better than the L700, but it is more bassy, warmer, and has less treble presence than the L700. If you are open to EQ, the 007mk2 adapts well to it, and you could tweak it to be a less warm brighter headphone (how I ended up preferring it.) All just imo and what not.
Thanks for the advice! Actually, my L700 is already blu-tak modded to improve the low-end and I also use Oratory1990's EQ to get it closer to Harman, so it's less bright than stock. Sounds like the 007mk2 might be closer to neutral already.

I've not heard the KGSS Klassik, but from the specs it seems it would work well. If you really want to rock out and have the most control over the low end a KGSSHV (or other) would be worth checking out at some point, but only if you really felt the curiosity and need.
I think I already spent too much money on my the KGSS, so if the 007mk2 really needs a pricier Mafia amp I'd rather consider other headphones altogether (e.g., Hifiman HE1000v2, JM Audio XTC, others?).

Apr 24, 2023 at 12:47 PM Post #1,796 of 1,866
Thanks for the advice! Actually, my L700 is already blu-tak modded to improve the low-end and I also use Oratory1990's EQ to get it closer to Harman, so it's less bright than stock. Sounds like the 007mk2 might be closer to neutral already.

I think I already spent too much money on my the KGSS, so if the 007mk2 really needs a pricier Mafia amp I'd rather consider other headphones altogether (e.g., Hifiman HE1000v2, JM Audio XTC, others?).
I mean, I don't think it needs a pricier amp. Just that if you bought it and felt it was lacking it could be something to try. I'd give them a go if you find a pair at a price you are ok with. If you like the electrostatic sound/the L700 you have, the 007mk2 are certainly worth trying. I used a slightly tweaked to preference Oratory1990 Harman EQ with mine, and I thought they were really good.

Apr 24, 2023 at 12:59 PM Post #1,797 of 1,866
I mean, I don't think it needs a pricier amp. Just that if you bought it and felt it was lacking it could be something to try. I'd give them a go if you find a pair at a price you are ok with. If you like the electrostatic sound/the L700 you have, the 007mk2 are certainly worth trying. I used a slightly tweaked to preference Oratory1990 Harman EQ with mine, and I thought they were really good.
How did you like the EQ'd 007mk2 versus the 1266 TC / HE6seV2 / any other cans you've tried (not sure if your signature is up to date)?

Thanks

Apr 24, 2023 at 2:08 PM Post #1,798 of 1,866
How did you like the EQ'd 007mk2 versus the 1266 TC / HE6seV2 / any other cans you've tried (not sure if your signature is up to date)?

Thanks
Its just a bit different in an overall sense. For the money it's got all those nice technical performance traits you would want. 1266TC is my favourite headphone, so not really a fair comparison. It is more detailed, has more impact etc...The 007mk2 is warmer, less treble presence. With EQ you can obviously get them more similar in terms of tonal balance, but the soundstage isn't as wide as the 1266TC, and still doesn't have the same sense of impact or slam (though it is good in this area for an e-stat.)

The HE6seV2 is a heck of a headphone for the money (I paid 450 new from Adorama but they are out of stock, you can get them from hifiman direct for 600ish IIRC.) I really like them and am going to keep them as a daily work horse headphone.

007mk2 vs 009, I'd take the 007mk2. 007mk2 vs 009S would be a bit different, but I still think I might prefer the 007mk2. Also worth checking out is the ESLab ES-1a if you can get your hands on one and want to stick with electrostatic headphones. It would be a similar price but I actually think I prefer it to the 007mk2. It is kind of like a mix of 007 and 009 in terms of sonics. Pretty much the same difficulty to drive as the 007.

I wrote a review about it a little while back https://headphonesnstuff.blog/2022/06/01/es-lab-es1a-full-review/

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2023 at 2:24 PM Post #1,799 of 1,866
The RAAL system was the only thing that gave me chills to hear at AXPONA the other weekend. Not X9000, not 009S, not 007, not L500, not Susvara, not HE1000se, not Arya Stealth, not Corina, not Expanse, not Stealth, not Aperio, not LCD-4z, not CRBN, not LCD-5, not Empyrean Elite, not Odin, Raven, Trifecta or Supermoon.

CA-1a + VM-1a. It sounds like a monster truck. It has SIX tunings per headphone. I'm saving up to buy them at CanJam, hopefully with a good discount..! (then later, L500 & L700 with a Z10e amp)
PXL_20230416_173549684.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back