The Stax SR-L500 and SR-L700 Impressions Thread
Jul 16, 2022 at 11:47 AM Post #1,741 of 1,866
What specifically do you find improved in the Mk2?
So as you know the mk2s have new yokes, new pads and removable cables. The major sound improvement comes from the added clamp force from the new aluminium yokes. This to me makes the sound more coherent, sounds more "focused", likely due to less leaking of sound. Need to turn the volume up less to hear the music clearly with all details. New pads could make a difference too, of course. Although its not as obvious as to why.

But yeah, the biggest differences I experienced moving from the mk1s to the mk2s was just a flatter, more detailed sound with more bass.

Jul 16, 2022 at 4:21 PM Post #1,742 of 1,866
@catscratch @AudioThief Thanks for the information. Much appreciated and nice to hear that the MK2 may sound better too. I enjoy using tubes, so thats good to hear they pair well with the Lambdas.

Jul 16, 2022 at 10:25 PM Post #1,743 of 1,866
If you had to choose between the Mjolnir SRD-1 or the Mjolnir Octave 2 which would be considered the better option? Will the SRD-1 have a negative impact on the sound?

There is also an SRM-727a and an SRM-400s available on the classifieds.

Any advice on these 4 options would be greatly appreciated.

Jul 20, 2022 at 9:20 AM Post #1,744 of 1,866
If you had to choose between the Mjolnir SRD-1 or the Mjolnir Octave 2 which would be considered the better option? Will the SRD-1 have a negative impact on the sound?

There is also an SRM-727a and an SRM-400s available on the classifieds.

Any advice on these 4 options would be greatly appreciated.
Not sure about the specs on the mjolnirs, but I think both the 727 and 400 are fantastic amplifiers, powerful enough to drive any Stax. 007s are borderline but in my experience they are powerful enough to drive them as well unless you listen to music at ear bleeding volumes.

Jul 20, 2022 at 3:43 PM Post #1,745 of 1,866
@AudioThief thanks so much for the response my friend. I will be using them for the L700s so I imagine I've go now worries in the power regard.

I appreciate all the help guys.

Aug 5, 2022 at 4:19 AM Post #1,746 of 1,866
So as you know the mk2s have new yokes, new pads and removable cables. The major sound improvement comes from the added clamp force from the new aluminium yokes. This to me makes the sound more coherent, sounds more "focused", likely due to less leaking of sound. Need to turn the volume up less to hear the music clearly with all details. New pads could make a difference too, of course. Although its not as obvious as to why.

But yeah, the biggest differences I experienced moving from the mk1s to the mk2s was just a flatter, more detailed sound with more bass.
I just had my old Mk1s, which I picked up when it was first released, back from refurbishment - replacement of the ear pad (the old ones were not as thick/plush and only the part which contacted the skin was lambskin) and the synthetic head pad. I understand what you mean about the added clamping force (or perhaps the earpads). On the whole, the soundstage sounds deeper than it did prior to the refurbishment. Was certainly worth it! :)

Aug 11, 2022 at 4:09 PM Post #1,747 of 1,866
For myself, I wouldn't say the Mk 2 are a "big" improvement over the Mk 1, sonically. The 2's are a little cleaner in bass and a little better behaved in treble. But it's close enough that these differences could indeed be caused by that better seal from the improved Mk 2 yokes. The Mk 1 could possibly be construed as slightly more "fun" sounding with the right tube amp. That said, if you have a 2 you don't need a 1, and if you enjoy your 1 you shouldn't feel compelled to upgrade to a 2 - just buy the Mk 2 headband if curious. The Mk aluminum 2 yokes are a heck of a lot nicer, and eliminate the creaky / squeaky-ness of the Mk 1.

Both versions of L700 are a great headphone on the right amp!

Aug 11, 2022 at 5:06 PM Post #1,748 of 1,866
I have 500i and 700ii and like their sound so much, but never really noticed them changing with different amps. Also I dont like the clamp force of the mkii and this is one of the reasons I barely listen to the 700 these days. I cannot directly judge how the clamp force of mki is compared to mkii as I already bought the 500 with SOCAS pad mod.

Aug 11, 2022 at 5:58 PM Post #1,749 of 1,866
I have 500i and 700ii and like their sound so much, but never really noticed them changing with different amps. Also I dont like the clamp force of the mkii and this is one of the reasons I barely listen to the 700 these days. I cannot directly judge how the clamp force of mki is compared to mkii as I already bought the 500 with SOCAS pad mod.

The clamp force makes for a better seal and imo better sound and more comfortable fit. Headphones doesn't change sound with amps unless underpowered. Lambda series is easily driven.

Aug 22, 2022 at 3:36 PM Post #1,751 of 1,866
I admire your consistency in spreading the gospel of all amplifiers sound the same..

Well, that isn't what I said. But given adequate power and competent design, it is a matter of objective truth. Your mind is easily fooled to think otherwise ofcourse, but luckily there is ample information out there for those who want to know the truth.

Oct 14, 2022 at 4:02 PM Post #1,752 of 1,866
Oct 14, 2022 at 11:10 PM Post #1,753 of 1,866
I concur with your experience that the L700mk2 works well on Stax's own amps in their stock form. I have the D10 and a CCS-modded SRM-006tA from spritzer, and I usually prefer the L700 on the D10 rather than the 006t. Something about the added power and linearity of the 006t + CCS mod accentuates the oddities in its midrange (that 1.2K peak you mentioned in your review). It became more nasally and annoying to listen to on the 006t, and I would quickly resort to EQ to fix the midrange, but on the D10, I don't find it that nasally and it's totally acceptable without EQ, even at louder levels than on the 006t. One of those cases where better gear doesn't mean better synergy.

Oct 16, 2022 at 9:52 PM Post #1,754 of 1,866
On my second go-round with the SR-L500 Mk.2 and enjoying them even more than before.
Was looking at the SR-L700 Mk.2, but ended up getting the SR-L300 LTD instead--or is it in the interim?
Am hoping that the L500Mk.2 and the L300LE are different enough to warrant keeping both.
Eventually want to try the L700Mk.2, though.
Had the 007Mk.1/Omega II for a while, but seem to have a greater affinity for things Lamda.
:beerchug:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back