The Stax SR-L500 and SR-L700 Impressions Thread
Sep 27, 2020 at 3:08 AM Post #1,501 of 1,866
I'm testing the L700MKII with D50 and the L300 with 252S side by side.

The L700 combo definitely has way more clarity, detail, and separation. The L700 also has way more bass texture and detail - but less bass overall, especially mid-bass impact and punch that the L300 offers. The L700 is more smooth, being less harsh in the treble, and definitely the superior headphone to the L300. The difference is quite noticeable after finally listening to them both side by side. It is especially noticeable in busy tracks where there is a lot going on, the L300 can't keep up with the L700MKII's speed. I also am really enjoying a texture to bass notes with the L700 that I've never experienced before, even with an LCD4. I wish the L700 definitely had more bass impact like the L300's punch and more extension, but they are overall seriously impressive.

Here's the kicker. I keep going back and forth between the two and can't get over how intimate the sound of the L300 is and how much I enjoy it. The L300 is noticeably lacking compared to the L700s in terms of sheer audio quality, but I feel that I am drawn into the music more and enjoy it more than when I listen to the L700s. I keep putting the L300 back on my head. I want the L700 because it SOUNDS better overall and impresses me more with each new track I throw at it, but the L300 is more musical. The L700 just sounds further away, and although it is clear it has more detail when going back and forth during sections of songs, the L300 APPEARS to have more detail because the detail that is there is perceived closer to my ear.

I can only keep one and I'm not sure which to do right now. Very tough call.
At first, try a better amp than the D50...for example a valve amp...or T1. Than you could hear the difference better...
Normaly the situation should be clear. The L700 is the better of them. But if you thinking the L300 could be a only small difference to the L700...than take the L300.... it is a great pricely difference. If the price for you is no matter, take the L700.

Sep 27, 2020 at 10:34 AM Post #1,502 of 1,866
@Not Deaf - you should get a better amp than a D50 - and you will be really happy with the L700.
Agreed. If he wants to stay with the D50 then the L300 will be all he needs. The L700s will mate up much better producing a huge jump in performance when matched up with the likes of the 007tII as my experiences have proven to me. 🎧

Oct 2, 2020 at 8:55 AM Post #1,503 of 1,866
Agreed. If he wants to stay with the D50 then the L300 will be all he needs. The L700s will mate up much better producing a huge jump in performance when matched up with the likes of the 007tII as my experiences have proven to me. 🎧

How would the 353 or D50 compare to the 007tll or T1? What differences would it bring to the L700s?

Oct 2, 2020 at 9:51 AM Post #1,504 of 1,866
I'm testing the L700MKII with D50 and the L300 with 252S side by side.

The L700 combo definitely has way more clarity, detail, and separation. The L700 also has way more bass texture and detail - but less bass overall, especially mid-bass impact and punch that the L300 offers. The L700 is more smooth, being less harsh in the treble, and definitely the superior headphone to the L300. The difference is quite noticeable after finally listening to them both side by side. It is especially noticeable in busy tracks where there is a lot going on, the L300 can't keep up with the L700MKII's speed. I also am really enjoying a texture to bass notes with the L700 that I've never experienced before, even with an LCD4. I wish the L700 definitely had more bass impact like the L300's punch and more extension, but they are overall seriously impressive.

Here's the kicker. I keep going back and forth between the two and can't get over how intimate the sound of the L300 is and how much I enjoy it. The L300 is noticeably lacking compared to the L700s in terms of sheer audio quality, but I feel that I am drawn into the music more and enjoy it more than when I listen to the L700s. I keep putting the L300 back on my head. I want the L700 because it SOUNDS better overall and impresses me more with each new track I throw at it, but the L300 is more musical. The L700 just sounds further away, and although it is clear it has more detail when going back and forth during sections of songs, the L300 APPEARS to have more detail because the detail that is there is perceived closer to my ear.

I can only keep one and I'm not sure which to do right now. Very tough call.

My L700MK2 seems to have a lot more bass impact using the KGSSHV vs the SRM-D50. They sound very similar to the Focal Clear.

Oct 4, 2020 at 5:24 AM Post #1,505 of 1,866
I also bought L300 and L700 and I was always going back to L300, then I used L700 for about a month or so, after getting used to L700 then when I listened to L300, it was a complete mess so I sold them immediately. They were less transparent, one-note bass, less treble and bass extension, overall less technically capable, and overall inferior to L700.

Oct 4, 2020 at 5:25 AM Post #1,506 of 1,866
My L700MK2 seems to have a lot more bass impact using the KGSSHV vs the SRM-D50. They sound very similar to the Focal Clear.

My impression is also similar and I said that too, L700MK2 sounds very similar to Focal Clear with much better sound-stage and separations but less dynamic I guess.

Oct 4, 2020 at 5:37 AM Post #1,507 of 1,866
I've now had my l700 / 006ts Kimik for two weeks.

To be honest for the first week I thought I'd made a mistake (despite a days audition back in February). The sound quality varied between ok and not good (certainly not what I remembered before ordering), sometimes nasal, sometimes blurred and not accurate. Nowhere near the quality of my HD800s.

It's only in the past two days (leaving the energiser switched on) that I'm now hearing music that I don't want to track skip. The blurriness has gone completely and spatial clarity is in the mix. It now sounds like an improvement in detail and realty than the HD800.

Is my experience normal?

Adrian
They are many L700 owners who said they need to be played for a period of time before they reach their potential already reported by many. Not sure what is the real reason though lol, I experience the same thing only with L700.

Oct 4, 2020 at 1:01 PM Post #1,508 of 1,866
My impression is also similar and I said that too, L700MK2 sounds very similar to Focal Clear with much better sound-stage and separations but less dynamic I guess.

The dynamics depend on the energizer I think. With the KGSSHV they seem to have more bass impact than the Clear, and with the SRM-D50 they seem to have less.

Oct 4, 2020 at 10:55 PM Post #1,512 of 1,866
What would be the best option between the D50, 353X, and something else about $1,000?
If you read previous pages on the D50, there's some issues:
  • DAC is bad (some even saying it's terrible) and that it is better to use outboard DAC.
  • D50 gets quite hot.
I love the design, it's just beautiful... The size is also pretty good. I'd actually love to own one, it's in my wishlist...
However in 353X you have space for another STAX earspeaker if that's something you'd use.
Also I think I've seen mods for 353X, not so sure about the D50 also due to size might be a bit more crowded inside the casing to upgrade components or apply mods.

I'm just new to all this, so take it with a pinch of salt and maybe looks around for these issues. The D50 is definitely not a non-brainer, so read around HeadFi, Reddit maybe ASR.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2020 at 11:05 PM Post #1,513 of 1,866
If you read previous pages on the D50, there's some issues:
  • DAC is bad (some even saying it's terrible) and that it is better to use outboard DAC.
  • D50 gets quite hot.
I love the design, it's just beautiful... The size is also pretty good. I'd actually love to own one, it's in my wishlist...
However in 353X you have space for another STAX earspeaker if that's something you'd use.
Also I think I've seen mods for 353X, not so sure about the D50 also due to size might be a bit more crowded inside the casing to upgrade components or apply mods.

I'm just new to all this, so take it with a pinch of salt and maybe looks around for these issues. The D50 is definitely not a non-brainer, so read around HeadFi, Reddit maybe ASR.

My KGSSHV gets to about 128F. My SRM-D50 reached about 125F. I wouldn't call it "quite hot".

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2020 at 11:26 PM Post #1,514 of 1,866
Well, it does have a built in dac...so I’d call that improved & better.
If that’s the only reason, for what it’s worth, the D50 sounds much better with an external DAC compared to the internal one. It’s like a whole different energizer with my Modi Multibit in that the soundstage is bigger, more detail retrieval, more musical, overall better listening experience. Also, the volume knob doesn’t have to be turned up anywhere near as much with an external DAC compared to using the internal one.

Oct 5, 2020 at 12:05 AM Post #1,515 of 1,866
What would be the best o
If that’s the only reason, for what it’s worth, the D50 sounds much better with an external DAC compared to the internal one. It’s like a whole different energizer with my Modi Multibit in that the soundstage is bigger, more detail retrieval, more musical, overall better listening experience. Also, the volume knob doesn’t have to be turned up anywhere near as much with an external DAC compared to using the internal one.
So Of course you can find better dacs but in this case it’s free, integrated and saves one the costs of cables and adding a separate unit, Unless you are prepared to spend a lot more money, chances are you won‘t hear a big difference between them, so better off to spend more money on a set of L700s which will make a huge difference rather than a marginal better dac. The built-in DAC supports PCM 32/384 or DSD, all the way up to 5.6MHz. The chip DAC is an ESS ES9018, which is then fed into a TI OPA1642 op-amp. The ESS ES9018 is an older chip but is still considering a good performer and has proven reliability.

A step further is a better energizer than a dac. Frankly dacs in these lower price ranges all sound the same unless you go into a good R2R or spend some big money on custom chip technology. OTS chip stuff gets cheaper rather quickly in a few years if not months. And they all compete on lower prices, a race to the bottom if you will! With little concern for SQ.

And I’ll suggest even one better, a game ender for most headphone audiophiles out there looking to enjoy a Stax set up. Ready...here goes...pair the L700 with a D10 and you will be in audio heaven, given the right amount of break in time. I speak from my own personal experience having gone through higher cost energizers, dacs, cables, etc. The above mentioned combo will run you just under $2500, still pricey yes, but it’s all you need. The alternative ladder up move which is more like a dollar draining rabbit hole down, will run considerably more and likely yield only marginally better, a few percentage points of improvements unless you are willing to go above lets say the $10K+ level. Like the stuff we hear at shows but can’t really afford. LOL

So there it is, my opinion and I hope it saves some few out there some money during these hard times we find ourselves in. 🎧

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back